Wildcatcoueshunter

Desert Mule deer rut

Weve killed rutting mule deer from Dec 15 all the way to Jan 31. It only takes one hot doe. The does come in and out of heat sometimes more than once if they dont fertilize.

I agree 100%. I know the post was asking about the peak of the rut but as far as the archery hunt goes, I love the early season when the first doe has gone into heat. The bucks get that first scent and they're all focused on her. I always see a lot more bucks early to mid January, but the ones I chase in mid to late December are more aggressive and tend to let their guards down a bit more when they are chasing after those first does. Either way mid-December through early-February in the deserts of Az are an awesome time!

I was chasing a nice four point with six does down by the border on Thursday. Just couldnt close the distance but at least he was with his does. Hoping to find him again soon.

Saw 30-35 does and fawns and 4 bucks 2 spikes, a small forky and a nice forky one spike was with a herd of 10 or so does and the other 3 bucks were all around two does! Got within 80 yards but got busted before I could get to my comfortable 60 yard shot Going back out for 3 days next week maybe something a little bigger will pop out wont surprise me!

Saw several bucks today including one nice 4x4. Smaller ones (3x3 and spike/forky) were with does, but the bigger 4x4 was bedded by himself. Got pretty close to him but couldn't close the deal before he spooked.

It's the most wonderful time of the year... :D

I was out this morning looking for mr big since I was one of the lucky 50 to draw a muzzy tag and found two herds of does. They still weren't showing any rutting sign and one of the herds didn't even have a buck with them. There were 3 bucks hanging with the other herd, and the biggest was about a 130-140 three point. This herd usually picks up a big buck when the rut starts, but he has shown up for the party yet. He was about 185 last year, so I am hoping this year he is as good or better. By the way, it was in the teens in the desert this morning. Headed back out Tuesday afternoon and will stay until the season is over. David

I was out this morning looking for mr big since I was one of the lucky 50 to draw a muzzy tag and found two herds of does. They still weren't showing any rutting sign and one of the herds didn't even have a buck with them. There were 3 bucks hanging with the other herd, and the biggest was about a 130-140 three point. This herd usually picks up a big buck when the rut starts, but he has shown up for the party yet. He was about 185 last year, so I am hoping this year he is as good or better. By the way, it was in the teens in the desert this morning. Headed back out Tuesday afternoon and will stay until the season is over. David

Wow! Thats not what we found. I killed a dandy buck on Wednesday that was so rutted up it was funny. We actually found quite a few rutting bucks with does where we were. Good luck!

Man you guys are getting me all pumped up. I've taken serveral coues now, but so far only one muley, and he was a velvet buck in the high country. A nice, hard-horned desert mule deer is one trophy that has always eluded me. I've only been able to go after a few decent ones, and with does, they have got to be one of the hardest things to sneak up on. Even when I think I'm being really quiet and working the wind, it seems I'm busted every time way before I'm within even marginal shooting distance.

You know how you plan out a stalk and pick certain points you have to get to and check the deer to see if they're still relaxed. Well normally out of 5 or 6 "get to" points I can only get about 1/2 way before I look up to check on them and see every single doe on their feet and staring right at me. LOL. It's a challenge for sure, and I'm in awe of the guys who pull it off successfully.

Finally got my 4x4 fixed, apparently I'm pretty rough on vehicles. :unsure: So once all the Christmas formalities are over I'll be going back at it. Sounds like the action in the desert is heating up too.

I went out scouting for the january hunt last night. i saw a real large group of about 20 does or so, no bucks in this group. I'm hoping to get this group patterned because there should be at least one good one joining them soon( hopefully). last year it was about the middle of january and it seemed like they were really going at it where i was hunting in 42. come on january!!!

In one of the 40's again today. Had 3 does at 40 yards but no buck dang it. I'm just tryin to fill my 2011 tag so Im not picky. Had the local militia move in 3/4 mile away and blast away probably 1500 rounds...I shifted spots about 15 miles and realized I didn't have my binos...went back, past the red dawn crowd and found my binos on the road unhurt. Didn't have time to shift back to where I was so I found some north faces and glassed up 1 group of 4 does, then another group of 3 that eventually had a forky pop out. Put a good stalk on but they ghosted. Lots of does but not much for rut yet that I can see. Next week maybe...