sbooth

12x50 EL

I've owned 2 different 15x56 swaros and had them in my pack while the 8.5 EL were around my neck for scanning or on tripod at first light due to their great exit pupil. Also a range finder and a leica 77 or 62 in the pack with an outdoorsman tripod. OK for truck hunting and short 1-2 mile hikes. I do 1-2 true backpack hunts a year and became tired of all the weight in optics. Recently bought the 12x50 ELs and am so impressed with the optics I need to tell it! Has enough extra zoom to prove the 10x not powerfull enough and close enough (but certainly not the same) as the 15x> The brightness and flatness is so much better than the 15x and the field of view is no longer "looking thru straws" but expansive. I looked thru both side by side for 3 hunt days and felt the 15x had more reach to look far or under and thru trees but not by enough to offset the clarity, brightness and field of view of the 12x. These are painfully expensive but think you should consider them especially if you tend to carry 2 binoculars. These are easily a bino harness weight. Perhaps I would not advise you to sell your 15x but if you're shopping the 12x is easily the better jack of all trades. FWIW

Yeah, those 12x EL's are something special. I got the chance to look thru a set last week during a sheep hunt. I want some!

I've got some 10x50 SLC's and they are very good. So far I've steered clear of looking through the new EL's. Suspect the 12's would span the "gap" between 10 and 15 very well, lighter too. At least the new glass will drop the price on the old glass (maybe). I wonder when the upgrade will happen to the current 15X56. SHOT Show?

Wish they made the EL's in a 10x50... My SLC 10x50's is all I use these days...

Gino, I just used the new 12x50 EL's in Mexico last week and all I can say is there is absolutely no better optic on the market! Both guys I hunted with had traded their 15's in on these new EL's and haven't looked back! I was being out-glassed by a guy using the 12x50's at long range and I was using my 15's! Their insane clarity and quality makes up for lacking 3x of magnification.

PS...I also carried around the new 10x42 EL Range binos for a full week and I can't begin to accurately describe how amazing those are!!! JIM>

You guys are killing me! :angry:

I thought I was done after buying the Swaro RF and the big HD spotter. I have 15's and 10's and now I gotta go look at these! :P

Swarovski is possibly the worst addiction there is in hunting! I have a buddy that broke down this year and bought some 15's, everytime the topic comes up he still tells me he is pissed at me for ever letting him look through my swaros.

The 15s are still a better specialized tool. But I would not feel at a disadvantage using the 12s and they can be used to "scan" from the straps. Even 8s work best with a tripod! 12 els are the best all around and their clarity (and the 10x50) are a slight step up from the slc. I'm going to be pissed if they come out with 12x50 rfs though!

I just bought the 15x56 swaros awesome glass now i want the 10x50. Does anybody know if the new swaros range finder binoculars have the arc technology.