sbooth

12x50 EL

DO YOU NEED TO USE A TRIPOD WITH THE 12X50? OR CAN YOU HOLD THAT MUCH POWER STEADY

You can use them without a tripod as they are fairly lightweight and are balanced well. I use mine quit a bit w/o a tripod.

My wife just bought me a pair of 15x56, and she told me that if I want to trade up to the 12x50 EL then I should go ahead and get them. Man, I have wanted a pair of 15x56 for such a looooonnnng time that I don't know if I should trade up, really need to know if they are worth it losing the 3x for 12s and will I be as happy with the ELs verse the SLC! I have a pair of 10x Nikon Monarchs and they are great, would love some feed back on this dilemma! I have been hunting for awhile and in the last few years just started with the coues deer fever!

My dream set up for day hiking & longer would be 12X50 EL's and 65 MM Swaro scope with the 25-50 WA eyepeice. Eventually I'll have it, probably gonna be a while though. I really think the EL's at 35 ounces are the ticket. Currently I've got 10X50 SLC's and really like them but .......

Same here, the 10 x 50 SLC'S are the bomb and I've had them for 10 years. But the 12 x 50 EL's are a cut above in clarity and weight is less. Saving my $ now.

I recently used them on a hunt and they are unbelievable. I carried them but used a tripod given every chance. After using the 15's for so long it took me some time to get used to them. You give up power but the extra field of view is indispensable.

My glasses consisted of 10x50SLC around my neck with 15's and spotter in my backpack. The 10's are now retired, the 15's were traded in and my backpack is so much lighter.

I recently used them on a hunt and they are unbelievable. I carried them but used a tripod given every chance. After using the 15's for so long it took me some time to get used to them. You give up power but the extra field of view is indispensable.

My glasses consisted of 10x50SLC around my neck with 15's and spotter in my backpack. The 10's are now retired, the 15's were traded in and my backpack is so much lighter.

I am seriously considering doing this but I am very worried to do so. I currently have 10's and 15's. I use them both a lot. Are you able to glass without a tripod? 12x power bino's seem to be up there and I would assume any movement would shake the field of view a lot.

Did you find yourself missing your 15's when you found something way out there? I guess do you have any regrets or do you feel handicapped by compromising power and field of view?

Great White Buffalo gets my point. All binoculars are more effective on a tripod. No matter the magnification. 15x56 are a pack glass for most people but you can hand hold them also. The point is the 12x50 els are a ONE binocular tool. The field of view is like all the smaller binos unlike looking thru straws as in the 15x56. The clarity, exit pupil, field of view, and ergonomics are without peer! You need to ask yourself if while glassing, do you spot most animals due to peripheral vision and movement (wide field of view)or not. When your glassing for bedded bucks from 10 to 2, the higher magnification of the 15s will allow you to look thru trees with more magnification and spot animals by pieces. 10s and 15s are a great combo but the 12s alone will make life simpler and your pack lighter. I just sold my 15s just to let you know my preference. 12s and 15s together doesn't make any sense to me. When I had 8.5 els and 15s, the 8.5s were used from straps while walking but always went on a tripod when given the chance.

I have to blame this post for getting the wheels turning on this subject. Needless to say I have sold my 10's and 15's and now carry these 12's. I don't regret it at all. These Bino's are so impressive. Very light weight, so clear it is amazing and the field of view is awesome.

Spent another week searching for the monster and using the 12's...no luck and no 10's.

What I have noticed is that after spending hours behind the 15's my eyes are slow to adjust back to normal. I

pull away from the glasses to scan close with my naked eye and I have a difficult time adjusting. Part of it is

your vision gets worse with old age and I believe part is the 15 power.

The 12's are much easier on your eyes and I was able to scan close without eye focus problems.

I have no issue glassing or scanning with them w/o a tripod, same as the 10's. If you spot these little guys, the

first thing you do is break out the tripod anyways.

No regrets pitching the 15's and those of you who don't think they are worth it, you're in denial.

I have always been a fan of the 12x binos. I carry my Leica 12x50's in the Badlands bino pouch/harness and my Zeiss spotter in my pack. I consistantly spot deer quicker than my buddy using 15's. I feel it is due to the wider field of view. They are quite steady rested on a "Moses pole" (walking stick), steady enough sitting with elbows on knees, OK freehand for short/quick looks. Of course they are best on a tripod, which is the majority of the time. IMO, 12x is the best all around magnification. It has been my experience that 15's are not enough to see size/detail at long distance....you still need the spotter. So, I opt for lighter binos.