Sign in to follow this  
tjhunt2

Shooting Pheasants

The other night Dad & I were talking about huntin, like we always do, and I asked him how long has it been since ya shot at a pheasant. His reply was to long ago to remember. I called up Kevin, from AZ Pheasent and Chukar Hunting Preserve, and asked if he was available to meet us in Maricopa with 8 birds in the morning. "How's 9am sound", he asked. After a phone call to Dad, I had his juices flowing thru his veins like he was a whole lot younger than 82. We met Kevin and Karen, his girl friend, at the usual place and then followed them to the field where Kevin would plant the birds for us to hunt. Now some of you are going to say this isn't really hunting and you're right. I do it more for my dog Lexie's training, but this morning was for another reason, and to share another moment with my Dad walking thru the field carrying his favorite 12ga browning shotgun. Hearing him say it brought back memories made my morning. It might have been just walking up on a planted pheasant and shooting it after Lexie flushed it but to Dad it was hunting the old days back in the corn fields of Ohio. Between Dad and Lexie, I don't know who was the most excited. It was another enjoyable moment spent with two of my most loved huntin partners. :)

Here are a couple pictures from yesterday.

post-1903-0-27283100-1323534912_thumb.jpg

post-1903-0-80944800-1323534944_thumb.jpg

Great story. I want to do that with my son some day so he can see what it was like for me growing in IA. I miss the Pheasants and Ducks of IA but do not miss the blizzards.

Great story. I want to do that with my son some day so he can see what it was like for me growing in IA. I miss the Pheasants and Ducks of IA but do not miss the blizzards.

ThomC, let me know when you're ready and I can hook you up with some pheasants. :)

TJ

I don't much care about opinions and neither should you my friend. EXCELLENT way to make your DADS day!!! I learned that hunting is about the experiences in the field and at camp with loved ones and close friends. You look like you hunted your butts off!!!!

Sounds like you and your dad had a great morning. Those are memories that will last for a long time. Looks like Lexie didn't mind too much either.

Right on! Looks like you both had a blast :) You mentioned the birds were mainly for your dog, and I was curious to how you trained that fine looking pup of yours? Care to share some hints? Cheers!

Right on! Looks like you both had a blast :) You mentioned the birds were mainly for your dog, and I was curious to how you trained that fine looking pup of yours? Care to share some hints? Cheers!

pm sent :)

TJ

I have two friends that went to Casa Grande last Saturday and they got to shoot a few birds. In fact while we were watching the Cardinals kick some San Fran tail we were also grilling some pheasant and chucker over a mesquite fire and dang they were good!