Sign in to follow this  
Huntr Pat

How good does Javelina taste

People age beef because they have fat that breaks down. An animal with no fat is not going to get tender with age. That is why a choice beef tastes better than a range cow with no grain in it.We never aged game for the processor I worked for...only healthy fat beef. To each his own, everyone gets a different family tradition passed on to them. If it works for you....happy eating. Come on january...had a big bore at ten feet with my wife yesterday on film just wishing....

I'm with Lark on this. The only way I've found to eat javelina meat is to bury and barbecue it for 24 hours in a mesquite-fired pit, and that's a lot of work unless you have three or four to do at one time. Haven't tried a Crock Pot, and may do it some day because I love to hunt them. Problem is, I'd have to cook it outside because my wife and I hate the smell when it is cooking.

Bill Quimby

My variation on Bills recipe is to put them on a piece of plywood....bury....BBQ 24 hrs...dig it up......then eat the plywood!

That is called planking. You dont use plywood, the glue ruins the taste of the wood. Use a nice piece of hard wood.

People age beef because they have fat that breaks down. An animal with no fat is not going to get tender with age. That is why a choice beef tastes better than a range cow with no grain in it.We never aged game for the processor I worked for...only healthy fat beef. To each his own, everyone gets a different family tradition passed on to them. If it works for you....happy eating. Come on january...had a big bore at ten feet with my wife yesterday on film just wishing....

The University of Wyoming had a paper on their website a few years ago where they tested deer and elk for tenderness using a gauge after ageing and it showed no difference. Presumeably due to the lack of fat. It was a PDF and anyone can view it, just takes some work to find it.

I have Denmark Foods make brats and italian sausage and just bone out the meat in the field. In the past I have made chilli and also smoked a shoulder after marinating it for a day with cloves of garlic added into the meat and it was great.

I might add that soaking the meat overnight in a bucket of salt water and ice will pull out most of the blood adn 99% of the odor.

Get a couple of friends together and try my pit-barbecue method, and you will change your mind.

Bill Quimby

Sounds exactly what I have done but many years ago. I now turn all mine in to sausage I make myself and only wish I could get more meat off one of those pigs. If someone close to me in Mesa shoots one and cares for it properly and gets it on ice right away I will be more than happy to take it off your hands. It's all in the way you care for your meat once it's on the ground. Lots of good advise in this post. :)

TJ

TJ,

Would like to know what type of sausage you make and see some of your recipes for javi sausage - do you use commercial mixes or your own spice blend?

How do you cook your Javelina meat?

Dig a hole, fill it with and burn a bunch of mesquite wood down to coals. Then wrap the whole hog in aluminum foil, tightly so no juices leak out on the plywood. Drop 4 slump block bricks in evenly spaced between plywood and the coals about 12" off coals. Drop the whole hog on the plywood. Get a piece of old tin and cover the top and seal with dirt. Cook for about 6 hours. Uncover and pull hog out (dont drip anything out on the plywood). Then take the plywood and cut out plate size portions from the wood and serve warm. as for the hog, I dont know. I had a friend who had 3 dogs and he said (he may be pulling my leg tho..) one of his dogs did eat some of the javelina.

On serious side, the best way I had it was in a tamale. A good tamale cooker can make it pretty good.

Get a couple of friends together and try my pit-barbecue method, and you will change your mind.

Bill Quimby

Sounds exactly what I have done but many years ago. I now turn all mine in to sausage I make myself and only wish I could get more meat off one of those pigs. If someone close to me in Mesa shoots one and cares for it properly and gets it on ice right away I will be more than happy to take it off your hands. It's all in the way you care for your meat once it's on the ground. Lots of good advise in this post. :)

TJ

TJ,

Would like to know what type of sausage you make and see some of your recipes for javi sausage - do you use commercial mixes or your own spice blend?

I have used both but lately I have stayed with commercial mixes. Regular sausage mix is good but I prefer hot italian sausage mix. I've bought my last 2 packages from Van Hanson's in Chandler. I debone all the meat and whatever weight I come up with I add that same amount of pork. We use either pork butt or pork loin, whichever is on sale. Then package it in 1lb bags. If it's not hot enough then just add more red peppers.

Two more days and hopefully it will be sausage making time for me. :)

TJ

Didn't know Von Hansens sold mix. I will have to check it out. I have been using LEM breakfast and italian mixes and they are really good. I have some chorizo mix that I haven't tried yet. Hopefully I will be working the grinder if a couple days!!! Good luck!!!

Bill Quimby

TJ

TJ,

I have used both but lately I have stayed with commercial mixes. Regular sausage mix is good but I prefer hot italian sausage mix. I've bought my last 2 packages from Van Hanson's in Chandler. I debone all the meat and whatever weight I come up with I add that same amount of pork. We use either pork butt or pork loin, whichever is on sale. Then package it in 1lb bags. If it's not hot enough then just add more red peppers.

Two more days and hopefully it will be sausage making time for me. :)

TJ

I agree with puttin them in the pit. Thats not bad eatin, in fact thats the only way to eat em.

A few years back a buddy of mine had some made into brats and we cooked some up.

They tasted just like the critter smelt while we were skinnig it.

Needless to say we did'nt want the brats to go to waste so I tossed a brat to one of my dogs

and he spit it out on the floor a started to roll on it.

Thats the last time I cooked any javalina at my house.

Javelina breakfast burritos on the outdoor wok. Can't beat em!!

post-1571-0-62878200-1325304058_thumb.jpg

Took mine to Four Peaks and had them make the pepper and teriyaki sticks, man that was dang good. I would cut the up and add to my eggs in the morning and were awesome. They work great for hiking and hunting snacks as well. Though, I do not think I will do that again since it was about $75 bucks and that is pretty much all they had to offer. I will surely cut it up myself next time for the crock pot and jerky.

Javelina breakfast burritos on the outdoor wok. Can't beat em!!

post-1571-0-62878200-1325304058_thumb.jpg

Now that's a picture perfect morning for anyone just waking up to have breakfast. :)

TJ

We always take our pigs to a meat processor and have it all made into either chorizo, brats, polish kielbasa or spicy Italian sausage. Chorizo and spicy Italian sausage are my favorite!

-Tracy

Where do you like to go to have chorizo, brats, polish kielbasa or spicy Italian sausage made? I have my first javelina hunt in Feb and have been wondering about a good place to have sausage made.

We always take our pigs to a meat processor and have it all made into either chorizo, brats, polish kielbasa or spicy Italian sausage. Chorizo and spicy Italian sausage are my favorite!

-Tracy

Where do you like to go to have chorizo, brats, polish kielbasa or spicy Italian sausage made? I have my first javelina hunt in Feb and have been wondering about a good place to have sausage made.

here are a couple that I recommend.

Miller's Southwestern Processing. They make some great sausage and are a sponsor of CW.com! They are in queen creek and you can stop by and sample what they have to offer.

http://southwesternprocessing.com/

Browning's Custom Meat offers 10% off for CouesWhitetail.com members, call Jeremy at

Browning's Custom Meat Processing - 928-978-3512