Coach

Pig Logic

I'm no expert on pigs but I have killed my share over the years and have spent alot of time scouting and watching these critters for hours, days, and years on end. Those who know me know I'm quite comfortable being among them. They are my favorite of all big game animals. There was a time I would bet anyone I could find a pig any given day. Well, times have changed and I won't take that bet now. I have seen mt lions completely take a toll on a herd where there aren't any pigs there anymore. If a herd got low in numbers I would not hunt that particular herd and hunt another. Pigs have several bedding grounds and if you locate them you have just upped your odds of harvesting a pig. Like Bill said I have found these pigs will use the same area decades after decades. I don't believe pigs will ever leave an area and not return. Sorry Coach! I also skin out the hind legs before tagging one so there is no hair to fall on the meat while skinning. I skin them out as soon as possible and put a game bag on them to keep any hair from coming in contact. I never touch the meat while skinning and use a knife to remove any hair. Get it cooled out as soon as possible and on ice. I could go on and on but won't waste no more of your time. Pigs are pretty predictable if you learn their territory. I have been taking pigs from several different herds for years. I never try to shoot a female but it happens. All my pigs called in with a call have always been males. They are a family that will stay together or regroup after splitting up. If you split the herd stay still and they will be back to relocate among themselves. Just a few things I've learned over the years. Happy hunting! :)

TJ

• Like 1

As adults many of us have killed our fair share of pigs and have moved on to bigger and better critters. But when it comes to kids javelina are the perfect animal to get them started! My oldest son shot his first pig in October and he and his brothers couldn't have been any happier. Everything about hunting those stink hogs is ideal for teaching a youngster how to hunt and getting them hooked on hunting. The only bad part is that my boys aren't fully competent in the cleaning and packing chores so I still have to get my hands and pack all stinked up with that awful pig smell!!!

post-25-0-17930300-1324524847_thumb.jpg

my freind has drawn the ham hunt --and wants one with a crossbow - he just looks funny walkin around with a crossbow!- lol

I thought a crossbow can only be used in general season. Unless you hold string back like a compound bow. One of those loop holes someone was telling me. Cause the string is locked in place and then fired pulling the trigger. or something like that... :unsure: :huh: my brain hurts :lol: :P

As adults many of us have killed our fair share of pigs and have moved on to bigger and better critters. But when it comes to kids javelina are the perfect animal to get them started! My oldest son shot his first pig in October and he and his brothers couldn't have been any happier. Everything about hunting those stink hogs is ideal for teaching a youngster how to hunt and getting them hooked on hunting. The only bad part is that my boys aren't fully competent in the cleaning and packing chores so I still have to get my hands and pack all stinked up with that awful pig smell!!!

That's a great picture. I can't get enough of that smell myself. Congratulations to your son. :)

TJ

Lots of great info here guys. It's good to get different perpectives, and from what it sounds like more people find that pigs will come back the same areas even after getting pressured. That's really good information, and becuase of that I'll be going back to some of my old spots this year that have previously dried up. Maybe they'll be back!

Good hunting,

Jason

Archery javelina is a blast for sure. I love glassing for them, then circle in down wind, put on the "sneaky feet", then sneak right into the middle of the herd. Their vision is poor, but they can pick up movement, so slow and quiet is key. Once the herd busts, I blow the pig distress call and usually, the boars come charging back, especially if there are little reds in the herd. Makes for some instant excitment :o We've had a lot of fun on the many junior hunts we've "guided". There's nothing more fun/comical than watching a youngster in the middle of pigs. We've hunted the same herds for 10 years, until a few years ago. For some reason they have become very scarce...drought/predators maybe.

This is my younger son's first pig about a dozen years ago.

dad & shane.bmp

• Like 1

Archery javelina is a blast for sure. I love glassing for them, then circle in down wind, put on the "sneaky feet", then sneak right into the middle of the herd. Their vision is poor, but they can pick up movement, so slow and quiet is key. Once the herd busts, I blow the pig distress call and usually, the boars come charging back, especially if there are little reds in the herd. Makes for some instant excitment :o We've had a lot of fun on the many junior hunts we've "guided". There's nothing more fun/comical than watching a youngster in the middle of pigs. We've hunted the same herds for 10 years, until a few years ago. For some reason they have become very scarce...drought/predators maybe.

This is my younger son's first pig about a dozen years ago.

Nice, looks like Shane whacked his first pig with a Marlin 30/30. Same gun I killed my first pig with - got it as a Christmas present when I was probably 12 or 13. Almost a year ago, my oldest son shot his 3rd or so pig with that gun. I bet you could practically start a thread about who killed their first pig with a Marlin 30/30 lever gun - lol. Thanks for the pix and info. I like calling them too, but it's about 40/60 for me where 40% they come back and 60 they head out of dodge like they are on fire. But that's usually if you call to them before they are broken up. Once broken up, I don't think you even have to call - the boar and older matriarchs will tend to come back and check on things once the herd is broken up if you sit tight.

post-478-0-17232600-1324599616_thumb.jpg

Coach, that is an awesome picture of you and the boys. Look at them smiles would ya. Thanks for sharing.

dbrew.....great pic of you guys as well.

TJ

Thanks TJ, Shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll flood you with pix of these critters with javis, turkes and elk.

That is a great pic TAM and reminds me of when my son was younger. I always gave him a pack to wear so he could "help out" and carry stuff like food, water first aid etc. When he was about 11 I got him his first knife to carry whic was a big deal for him.

I have found that after taking a few pigs and have my trophies I now just bone them out on the spot. I take the meat and put it in a 5 gallon bucket with two cups of salt and a bag or two of ice, add water. I leave it in there over night and change it in the morning, then soak it again all day.

It pulls out all of the blood and 99% of the smell.

I have been very fortunate to take them with rifle, pistol and bow over the last 25 years and am looking forward to hunting 16A after picking up a leftover tag for the General Javi hunt.

I will probably go up and scout this weekend and maybe next too as this is a new unit for me and work has kept me super busy the last six weeks going to and from Kingman and it is killing me watching that area at 60mph. LOL

In 2008 I killed a pig with my bow. Turns out it was big enough to be entered into the Bowhunting in Arizona records books as a Bi-ennail (award every 2 years) winner!

He is like top 30 of all time entered into the books. I'm no trophy hunter, but I'm really proud of that pig because I busted my tail for 3 days in freezing drizzle and got him on the last day, last hour of the hunt.

They are extremely tough critters and I have the most respect for such a fine game animal and it's great to see the respect it deserves (regardless of how it smells) LOL

One thing I learned was that the trophy pigs have really callous front knees. The area is really barren and worn away. Most folks get into them and just shoot whichever one, but if you want a bigger JAVY, something to consider if you're at full draw or lookin' though a scope.

Oh, and if you think you've killed a whopper and want the skull measured, don't boil it, just let the beetles eat the flesh... :)

I can't wait to get out again in a week or so and chase them!

Best of Luck -

AzP&Y

I'm really looking forward to javi season. It'll be my first time hunting with a bow. Can't wait.

Oh, and if you think you've killed a whopper and want the skull measured, don't boil it, just let the beetles eat the flesh... smile.gif

I have never heard this before. Does boiling shrink skulls?

I love hitting the varmint call whenever I see them. They come running in looking for a fight and usually get really close (think 4 yards!). and as for how they taste, we've always pit roasted them with some homemade BBQ sauce. And they make THE BEST summer sausage I've ever had. No joke.

That is a great pic TAM and reminds me of when my son was younger. I always gave him a pack to wear so he could "help out" and carry stuff like food, water first aid etc. When he was about 11 I got him his first knife to carry whic was a big deal for him.

I have found that after taking a few pigs and have my trophies I now just bone them out on the spot. I take the meat and put it in a 5 gallon bucket with two cups of salt and a bag or two of ice, add water. I leave it in there over night and change it in the morning, then soak it again all day.

It pulls out all of the blood and 99% of the smell.

I have been very fortunate to take them with rifle, pistol and bow over the last 25 years and am looking forward to hunting 16A after picking up a leftover tag for the General Javi hunt.

I will probably go up and scout this weekend and maybe next too as this is a new unit for me and work has kept me super busy the last six weeks going to and from Kingman and it is killing me watching that area at 60mph. LOL

Hey PRDATR when you say you re-soak them in the morning, do you just add new ice/water or do you also add another 2 cups of salt too?