Sign in to follow this  
huntwithme2

nosler

With a 300 winchester magnum just about any choice is good on elk ;). However, in my experience, the ballistic tip does not perform as well as the accubond on elk and moose sized game. The accubond has a more solid copper shank and jacket which aids in penetration. The ballistic tip will expand faster than the accubond. However, either would be a sound choice as long as you only take ethical shots, as with ANY caliber and ANY game.

IMO if there is a chance you will shoot past 250 yards (which you should only do if you have a LOT of prectice and confidence in your rifle and yourself) do yourself a favor and go with an accubopnd.

Why not use the Nosler Partition and get both penetration and expansion? With one exception, it is the only bullet I have shot game with for the 25 years or so, and it has never failed me. There are other bullets that perform slightly better on paper, but I don't eat paper. The exception was my desert sheep, and I used the Ballistic Tip. I must admit that it did us a favor by reducing the amount of mutton we had to eat by at least five pounds.

Bill Quimby

I prefer AccuBonds if they shoot well, but Nosler has beefed up the Ballistic Tips in the heavier weights for each caliber. You don't really give up much except a little bit of retained weight by choosing Ballistic Tips over AccuBonds or Partitions. Of the few of each that I have recovered, retained weights vary about as much between the same type of bullets from different animals as between different typoes of bullets from different animals.

Only thing wrong with noslers is the price. I really like the partitions. They just cost way too much if you shoot a lot. It's been my experience that premium bullets don't perform enough, if any, better than good bullets to be worth the money. Never hunted big dangerous bears or African stuff. Would probably use something different there. But not for anything within 3000 miles of here. Lark.

I used to be an Accubond guy... Then I found Berger VLD Hunting. :) However when I did load Nosler I only used Balistic tips for paper and varmits. Anything I planned on putting on the table was Accubond. (Accept for my .300 WSM whos magazine isnt long enough to accept anything with any kind of tip on it. :angry: ) I use the partition P.P. for this rifle.