Sign in to follow this  
Coach

The Perfect Rib Roast

Huge thanks to Chef for some new ideas. This one came out really good. Carrie and the boys all thought it was one of the best ones we've done so far.

Here's the roast I started with. Seems like a pretty good cut, but does have the thick vein of fat running through the middle. Good marbling though on a close look.

post-478-0-85293100-1324791008_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-55534000-1324791017_thumb.jpg

Seared all sides in a skillet. Had to use EVOO because I couldn't find Pomace olive oil.

post-478-0-92130800-1324791025_thumb.jpg

Minced up two heads of garlic by hand - in another bowl mixed Cayenne Pepper, Montreal seasoning, Kosher salt and a little dry mustard. Added EVOO to the dry rub and then the minced garlic. Stirred it all up into a paste and patted it on. Once on the meat I sprinkled on some Cavenders, a little garlic powder and just a little more Cayenne. I like a pretty "loud" crust.

post-478-0-76328300-1324791035_thumb.jpg

Took right at 3 hours at 325 to get the inside to 120 degrees.

post-478-0-87197300-1324791043_thumb.jpg

Let it stand for 15 minutes while the veggies were steaming and the au-jus was mixing with the leftovers from the baking pan and sliced in...

post-478-0-29998600-1324791053_thumb.jpg

Overall, the family loved it. The crust was fantastic (thanks again to Chef for the idea of making a paste with olive oil, minced garlic and the dry ingredients). I might have pulled it maybe 5 to 10 minutes earlier - very tricky timing on a 3 hour cook time, and for the au jus, I think next time I'll just use pure beef stock with kosher salt and white pepper. The drippings (considering how much OVOO was in the paste) were a little more oily than I prefer. But I'm nitpicking. The roast came out delicious, the family all enjoyed a Christmas Eve treat.

Would have liked to have a pretty picture of a slice on a plate with some steamed veggies, but got too busy eating to take pix - LOL.

Once again, a big shout-out to Chef. While I'm not totally new to prime rib, having someone like you to give some truly expert insight is really comforting when trying to tackle a meal that you want to be special for your family. Your insights really helped out.

Merry Christmas to all CWT members, and thanks to Amanda for creating this awesome site where we can get together, share ideas, and meet new friends.

• Like 1

I knew I shouldn't have looked at this post. I am so hungry after looking at this. Great job Jason! That roast looks like you hit it on the nail. I actually believe I can taste it as I'm typing. Thanks for sharing and yes we are very fortunate to have Chef here whenever we need him to answer our cooking needs. :)

TJ

Nice job Coach!

I'm sure your entire family enjoyed it and what a nice tradition to look forward to every year.

Nice job on the paste and thanks very much for taking the time for pictures.

I know how hard that can be sometimes as one is busy in the kitchen.

Here are a few pictures from our last nights roast.

It is smaller than yours, and like you, I didn't remember to take an after shot photo. LOL!

Here is the roast as I was searing the outside...

post-67-0-82391200-1324834322_thumb.jpg

Here it is after patting the rub on and ready for the oven.

I used olive oil, fresh minced garlic and onion, toasted ancho chili seeds,

Guajillo chili powder, cacao powder, ground almonds, cracked pepper, and sea salt.

post-67-0-84321700-1324834337_thumb.jpg

BTW, Amanda called me the other day looking for pomace olive oil at the grocery store...

She couldn't find anything labeled "pomace" as you usually only find that at restaurant supply stores in bulk.

"light" or "extra light' olive oil is the same thing. the less dark green it is, the farther it is from being from the first press, or virgin olive oil.

• Like 1

Wow, these posts sure make me hungry for prime rib!!!! Great job everyone!

oh and coach (in case you missed this end part of Chefs reply above), I had the same problem with trying to find pomace olive oil. A quick call to Chef and he informed me that Light or Extra Light Olive oil is essentially pomace olive oil. it's cheaper than extra virgin and lighter in color. I had to look hard to find it among the gazillions of brands of extra virgin olive oil, but I bet your grocery store has it.

Chef, thanks again! I should have taken pics but it turned out perfect! I actually seared mine in bacon grease since I had it handy. Merry Xmas everyone!

Each year I re-read this post before cooking our Christmas prime rib. This is sort of a gift from Chef to all us wanna-be chefs, so I wanted to bring it back to the current posts. Merry Christmas everyone!

• Like 2

Deep fry it. We had it this way a few times and it was great. The best part is for a large group you get the pieces on the end that are more done and the middle is bloody. My MIL wants things well done and I want it bloody. We both are happy because we get both options from the same roast.

Harley

Not much of a Prime Rib guy. I made turkey today, after brining it for about 5 hours. It was a fresh turkey from WINCO and came out great after adding some sage, tyme and rosemary.

Also made some cranberry sauce but used fresh orange juice I squeezed from a couple of oranges instead of water.

One thing I will add is that White pepper is close to cayenne but without the flavor. You can get almost the same affect by grinding up some dried chili seeds although I do like to use it in meatballs but a little bit goes a long way. I like California Ranch Olive Oil, it is an Extra Virgin oil but as Chef pointed out it has a low flash point so be careful when cooking with it and don't get the temp too high. I get the skillet hot and then add the oil as opposed to putting in the oil and heating the skillet. The best olive oils come from Spain but this one is very good.

Do yourselves a favor and stay away from the prepared spices in a can. They are usually loaded with preservatives. Fresh garlic or granulated garlic can take the place of the salt taste by half.

For black pepper I like the India Special Extra Bold from Penzeys Spices in Tempe Market Place, they are the largest of the Tellicherry Peppercorns.

I'm not a big salt guy, as a matter of fact I really think all of the big name TV Chefs really do a huge disservice to cooking shows because it seems that they can't go 20 seconds without adding a handful of salt and pepper to every dish. Traditional spices like turmeric, cumin, curry, paprika, garlic and lemon grass add another dimension. It really bothers me to see them with a bowl of salt and a bowl of pepper tossing in a teaspoon at a time into each dish. I do use pepper but almost never use salt and when I make a meal for friends or family it is never on the table because I want them to taste the meal not cover it up.

• Like 1

Bump for a great thread...I think i will do the 300 until temp and also searing it also. I agree that not all ovens are the same.

Mine is in the oven now, crab legs shrimp and lobster is ready to put in in 3 hers yum, a merry Christmas to all

First time smoking a rib eye roast! After reading Chef's awesome information and acquiring a few herbs and spices I didn't previously have, I nailed it! This was so good it was amazing. I roasted a few veggies and had a great meal.

Thanks again Chef for all the good info!post-5307-0-13480300-1514300031_thumb.jpgpost-5307-0-63212600-1514300045_thumb.jpgpost-5307-0-77994300-1514300068_thumb.jpgpost-5307-0-32031200-1514300092_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I did my 1st prime rib yesterday. I did the olive oil and seasoning rub. Then did the 500 degree for 5 min per lb. and then 2 hour oven off and not open door. Perfect medium rare. And nobody complained!

• Like 2