Sign in to follow this  
nohoch

Washington or Kansas?

I'm looking at a possible relocation for my career and the two locations are looking like Seattle Washington or Manhattan Kansas. I have to factor hunting into this decision, and I don't know much about the hunting in Washington at all. Don't know much about Kansas other than that seems to be where all the hunting shows go is to the mid-west and I've seen some monsters from Kansas.

Any thoughts, input, from anyone on the hunting in Washington State -vs- Kansas? Job wise, I think I prefer the Seattle job, but if the hunting just isn't there, then the Kansas job would look much better.

I'm looking at a possible relocation for my career and the two locations are looking like Seattle Washington or Manhattan Kansas. I have to factor hunting into this decision, and I don't know much about the hunting in Washington at all. Don't know much about Kansas other than that seems to be where all the hunting shows go is to the mid-west and I've seen some monsters from Kansas.

Any thoughts, input, from anyone on the hunting in Washington State -vs- Kansas? Job wise, I think I prefer the Seattle job, but if the hunting just isn't there, then the Kansas job would look much better.

Washington has Elk, muley and whitetail and bears to hunt and public land. Also fresh and saltwater fishing for salmon and trout. Milder winters. Higher taxes and higher cost of living lot's of granola munchers that try to tell you how to live.

Kansas has whitetail and muley, some pronghorn, tons of pheasants but mostly private land. Bass, walleye, panfish etc. Brutal winters. Less urbanites, less hippies, less libtards, less looneys from California.

kansas is flat and windy and colder than the south pole in the winter. it's known as baja-nebraska. seattle is wet, dreary, dark and the suicide capital of the the US. rains all the time and if you sit still for more than 30 minutes moss will grow on ya. you might end up a goth and hooked on expensive starbucks coffee. and have hairy armpitted hippies for neighbors. sounds to me like you have a tough choice to make. choose wisely grasshopper. Lark.

Kansas is brutal in the winter and as already said, a lot of private land. Depending where in Seattle, it could be a good choice. Washington has better hunting and I prefer the west more than the midwest.

I lived in Manhattan for several years in the late 1970s, and still go back from time to time to hunt with friends who still live there. When I lived there, both the upland bird hunting and waterfowl hunting were world-class. I kept both pointing dogs and retrieving dogs in those days. These days, one has to travel for a bit farther afield to find good upland hunting, but the waterfowl hunting is still great within minutes of town. White-tailed deer were just making a good comeback when I lived there, but there was some really good hunting in pockets. These days, whitetails are pretty much everywhere in the eastern half of the state and some real buster bucks are taken each year. There are also some really good deer populations in the southwestern part of the state, as well. Within the last ten years I have hunted the Republican River country in north central Kansas, the area north of Manhattan to the Nebraska line and the southern Flint Hills. All have good populations of whitetails and I have seen some pretty darned impressive bucks harvested. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of public land. With the growth of deer populations and the increase in hunters, you will probably have to pay a trespass fee, but these are rarely exorbitant. In short, I think that you will find it easy to locate good hunting without having to travel overnight or to pay and arm and leg. There is also good fishing close to town: bass in farm ponds and reservoirs, stripers and walleyes in Tuttle Creek and Milford reservoirs, and catfish in the rivers. Many of the creeks (which would be rivers in Arizona) have good fishing for a variety of species.

I have no first hand knowledge of hunting in Washington, but I have spent some time in Seattle. Given a choice with equal job satisfaction, you'd see me headed back to Kansas.

kansas is flat and windy and colder than the south pole in the winter. it's known as baja-nebraska. seattle is wet, dreary, dark and the suicide capital of the the US. rains all the time and if you sit still for more than 30 minutes moss will grow on ya. you might end up a goth and hooked on expensive starbucks coffee. and have hairy armpitted hippies for neighbors. sounds to me like you have a tough choice to make. choose wisely grasshopper. Lark.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ROFLMAO!

that is freekin funny!

Just remember what happened to Dorothy& Toto in Kansas. ;) If it was me, Washington would be an easy choice.

Guys like you are the reason that I loved living and hunting in both Kansas and Nebraska. Go to some of the other web sites and look at the Washington hunting threads...

Just remember what happened to Dorothy& Toto in Kansas. ;) If it was me, Washington would be an easy choice.

Guys like you are the reason that I loved living and hunting in both Kansas and Nebraska. Go to some of the other web sites and look at the Washington hunting threads...

Guys like me?

Idaho is not far away...great hunting ! British Colombia to the North....Great Hunting! Even though Seattle itself is not so great. Lots of public land available to hunt.

My cousin and her husband lived in Seattle for a few years. Her husband is a big hunter and he grew up in New Mexico. He loved hunting in Washington. He said there is nothing like it. and easy travel to other states as well. He just ignored the tree Hughes and went about his business. But there is plenty folks that are pro hunting in Washington from what he said. And great fishing as well.

Interesting choice! I've actually been living in Seattle for the last 7 months or so for work. I don't like it much. Definitely wouldn't want to live here permanently. The people are just goofy. And while there is mule deer, whitetail, and elk here, WA isn't really known for trophy hunting. The eastern part of the state has some nice carp but that's about it. The areas around Seattle don't offer much for size or glassing either if that's they way you like to hunt (I do). The weather isn't as bad as people say - it only rains about 36" a year. It usually doesn't rain hard, it just drizzles alot. Kansas would be more attractive to me. Trophy Whitetail and Carp, away from the granola eating hippies up here (sorry, but they actually have 3 seperate trash cans in the stores up here - garbage, recycling, and compost. REALLY?), and lets not forget Colorado and Iowa both border KS. HUGE hunting opportunities there. Course, Kansas isn't really much for topography which could get boring. Just Google Mt. Sunflower to see what I mean. Private land could be an issue, but that can always turn into a positive too if you make the right friends.

I'm a trophy hunting guy, and if it were based solely on hunting opportunities, I'd go Kansas.

Guys like me?

Idaho is not far away...great hunting ! British Colombia to the North....Great Hunting! Even though Seattle itself is not so great. Lots of public land available to hunt.

I was fortunate to be able to hunt BC in the 1970s and Idaho in the early 1980s. Won't be hunting either again at this point in my life. Glad you like it. Hope you stay there and enjoy it. :P

Guys like me?

I was fortunate to be able to hunt BC in the 1970s and Idaho in the early 1980s. Won't be hunting either again at this point in my life. Glad you like it. Hope you stay there and enjoy it. :P

I have never lived, hunted, or even been to Washington. I don't have anything against Kansas. I just mentioned I would pick Washington over Kansas. Simply for the fact, I am a mountain man.