Sign in to follow this  
lionhunter

36-c is overrunnnnn with em

Amanda,

As azcouesfanatic said... every time I see a lion I am looking to take him down. Unfortunately, of all the lions I have glassed over the last couple of years, only one presented a shot opportunity. I still have a pit in my stomach that I didnt get the job done, but man are they tough critters to put on the ground.

Best,

SW

Blame global warming. :ph34r: It is not just mtn lions. In the last several years I have seen more and more predatory birds than ever and larger than ever. I also hear the coyotes yipping nearly everynight I am outdoors where in the past it was only on occasion. I also seem to have seen an increase in the amount of prey and the size of small game at least. This is not scientific fact but my observations anyway from the border to above the Mogollon Rim.

As for the lions. I still pick up a tag every year and hope I get the chance to use it. Never been to 36c and dont have dogs and if it wasnt so far south I might take a trip.

• Like 1

Have we forgotten about the ban on trapping on public land or do you guys think that factor is inconsequential?

In my neck of the woods there has been an increase in lions for sure (Kofa NWR).

Nick

• Like 1

I'm leaving for a bivy hunt Saturday morning around 4am. I have 2 tags. Deer and Lion. I hope to get at least one tag filled. The area I'm headed to has 2 lions that I'm aware of...

I'm not going to this unit in question; but my point is, if I see a lion, I'm doing my best to take it...

• Like 1

Just so you know, 36C is not a unit with "daylong hours" for Mt lion hunting (wished it was!). It is cool that they changed the regs to allow shotgun shooting shot for big cats though. I do a lot of varmint hunting (ok, some anyway) and sometimes you set-up near rocky areas for fox, usually holding a shotgun (or a combo gun). Never know what's going to come to your call........

Good luck hunting,

Couestracker

• Like 1

How come you guys that are seeing all these lions are killing any?? Just too far to go after? Or don't want to waste time on a lion while you are deer hunting? I know one guy in this thread said he wounded one, but sounds like no one else is even hunting them?

I glassed up my first lion this past December. I was driving aboht 55 mph down the highand saw a buck moving down a ridge line at a pretty good clip. I got out with my rifle and took a look at through the glasses and he was good solid deer.... ended up moving down the ridge line and got into a thick cut; lost him.

I went ahead and set up to glass.... spent some time picking through a bowl I thought he had come from and glasses up a lion. He ended up moving and got out of sight before I could even put a plan together to go after him. First lion I've glassed up in all my years hunting. Spent a lot of time behind the glass and into remote areas. They're bad mamma jamma stealthy killin buggers.

I get a tag very year for the very reason that happened to me. First time I've ever had a chance to even think about wrapping it around a leg.

i plan on heading down there next week with my 15's, and a very accurate rifle. i have hunted 36b, but i have not hunted unit 36c appreciate any tips. PM me. thanks. ron

We are looking at taking my sons dogs down there in the next few weeks. Any suggestions on an area to start searching in? If you don't want to post on the open forum feel free to PM me. Thanks for any replies! RJ

They went back to year around season. Guess something changed and they "uncaved" to the Defenders. I'm a lousy lion hunter for sure. Never saw but two lion tracks on the strip. Getting old is really a bum deal.