Sign in to follow this  
couesbowhunter1

Santa Rita Copper Mine

So they did the statistic calculations and there will be 3000 jobs in total but only 40 will be provided for the tucson community the rest will be out of state so is there really any point in having the mine at this point?

The whole operation will only create 40 jobs in AZ? Or do u mean they will transfer people here from out of state to take all the positions?

1325459899[/url]' post='286774']

So they did the statistic calculations and there will be 3000 jobs in total but only 40 will be provided for the tucson community the rest will be out of state so is there really any point in having the mine at this point?

Where did you get these numbers? Currently Rosemont Copper has double that amount employed in the Tucson area and the mine has not even begun. Mines of this size take hundreds, if not thousands of people to operate. There has been so much misinformation about this project, I am just wondering what the basis of your comment is.

the whole operation will create 40 jobs in AZ

The whole operation will only create 40 jobs in AZ? Or do u mean they will transfer people here from out of state to take all the positions?

i got those numbers at one of the board meetings. but idk maybe thats just a way of trying to not pass it but thats what they told us

1325459899[/url]' post='286774']

Where did you get these numbers? Currently Rosemont Copper has double that amount employed in the Tucson area and the mine has not even begun. Mines of this size take hundreds, if not thousands of people to operate. There has been so much misinformation about this project, I am just wondering what the basis of your comment is.

My good friend got a job there already. Great employer, they really take care of their employees.

I have been around copper mines all of my life. 40 jobs makes no sense (the Rosemont website says 2000+ jobs will be created, of course who do you believe). You need a lot of people doing a lot of different trades. You need surveryors, geologists, demo men, shovel operators, haul truck drivers, loader operators, other heavy equip operators, mill operators, welders, electricians, mechanics, tire shop men, security guards, admin personnel, and a whole lot of other trades that I am not thinking of. Right there is 14 different jobs that must take place on site. Every one of those will be more than one position and should be at least 10 or more (for a small mine). The ore does not come out of the ground simply by one person pushing the button on a computer. There are entire towns in Arizona and New Mexico that came to be due to a mine just like this. Towns like Bisbee, Douglas, Ajo, Morenci, Silver City, and Tyrone are almost completely mining towns. Those mines employed thousands of people. If you didn't work for the mine company directly, most likely you worked for a company that supported it. If you look at the history of Arizona, copper was what brought many people to this part of the country (my family included) and was one of the major contributors to developing this state. I personally don't know anything about the company that is wanting to open the Rosemont mine, but unless they have a mine operating somewhere that is closing down and they are bringing in their unemployed miners, then most of the above mentioned jobs will more than likely come from the local area. I completely understand some of the opposistion to the mine, but I grew up less than three miles from a copper mine ( I could see it from the driveway of the house)and it never bothered me, plus, they provided a pretty good living to my familly for a couple of generations.

• Like 1

I don't know what the multiplying factor is, but each new job helps create more jobs in every type of business imaginable -- from home builders to auto dealers to dry cleaners to mattress and tortilla factories to restaurants and bars to sporting goods and grocery stores, banks, insurance companies and so on. That could be where the 2,000 figure came from, but I doubt it. The 40 figure could mean that will be the number of people employed by Rosemont in offices in Tucson/Pima County. The others probably will live in Santa Cruz County.

Bill Quimby

ask anyone who works in Morenci at the mine, Alot of wildlife call mine property home. You can't hunt it but animals are there. I'm sure it will displace some wildlife for sure but it has a way of balancing out.

• Like 2

A lot of the animals do like the mines. A large percentage of the sheep in the Morenci live on mine property most of it is posted and more is getting posted all the time. If Rosemont opens I hope they control the dust better than Freeport does

I have attended the site tour twice, and met with the folks from Rosemont many times. There will be a need for approximately 2,000 "construction" workers to build this mine and a couple hundred once it's built to run it and maintain it. This mine is going to create jobs, not just the construction jobs. I would encourage anyone, anyone that wants info about this mine to take the tour. Contact Rosemont thru their website. Instead of hearing peoples "opinios", and not facts, folks should really go to the site, see it for them selves and develop their own opinions based on their own thoughts. If there was copper to be mined in the middle of the desert off I-8 between Yuma and Gila Bend, I would say build a copper mine there. Not in the Santa Ritas. But,,,,, this is where the copper deposits are. Thanks for reading.

From the Rosemont Web site, for what it's worth. http://rosemontcopper.iapplicants.com/

"Construction of Rosemont Copper is expected to employ workers 10 hours per day, five days a week over 18 months. Employee levels will increase to about 125 in the second month and will peak at about 900 in the seventh month. Peak employment will be maintained for about five months. As construction is completed, the number of jobs will decline to about 225 by month 16 with 45 staff wrapping up the work by the last month. "

So it sounds like the 40 number is accurate for construction jobs that won't be temporary.

As far as actual miners their numbers fluctuate depending on what web page of theirs you are on. They say "thousands". A little inflated I think. They are probably counting the truck sales people and off site mechanics etc...