Verndog

My Late December Coues......

With my stepson (COUZFRK) already tagged out, I began my task of harvesting a late December Coues three days before Christmas. We covered alot of country, mostly new to both of us and spent a ton of time behind the glasses, locating alot of bucks everyday. The rut though seemed hit and miss at each location. Seen some great country and for the most part, had the country to ourselves. On the 29th, after a hike in that seemed to never end or ever get flat, we were both wondering what we were doing there. The hope to find a great deer kept us going. We located a great glassing spot that was only accessible on foot. Twenty minutes later across the canyon, I located what I thought was a decent buck. I immediately liked that he was a 4x on his left side, but he was well over 680 yards away.

After alot of talk I made the decision that he was the one. With no opportunities to get any closer and still be able to see him in the thick pocket of cedars he was in, I made the decision to go for it. I checked the range with my Leica and it said 627 yards. But there seemed to be alot of angle down, so we checked it with my son's and the angle compensator. 609 yards. I had just shot that distance a week ago on a good rest, so I felt real comfortable with the range. Now the frustrating part of this. My son has him continually located chasing a doe and a spike and keeps telling me he in the clearings broadside, but I just can't find him now in my Swarovski scope. It looked so much different than my 15's on a tripod. Finally, after what seemed to be an enternity.............I found him. Confirmed the range one more time and my son says, "You're in the right spot. He's going to come into it broadside." I saw the horns coming into the small clearing, moved to where I thought his boiler room was going to be visible and when he hit the spot.................pressed. I watched him fold in my scope. Yes. After about an hour of making sure there was no movement, back off the same mountain we came up to get around the rock faces we were on and through the saddle towards the other mountain. A quick break in the saddle, drop off whatever unneeded weight we didn't need and off we were.

Located the buck about an hour and half later. He folded and piled up in the same spot. Now I usually have bad luck with ground shrinkage. This 5x4 deer just got bigger and had alot of character that we had not seen from across the canyon. Pictures, quartered, caped, loaded up and off we went for the 2.3 mile pack out to the Ranger. Thanks to my stepson, for spending the time down there, glassing and packing him out. I really didn't want to go back in there the next day. Didn't score him, but believe I finally broke the 100" mark! My best Coues to date. Thanks for looking......

post-1614-0-48374000-1325566018_thumb.jpg

post-1614-0-90776500-1325565984_thumb.jpg

post-1614-0-81717300-1325566041_thumb.jpg

Congratulations on a great buck! Very nice job with the pictures and write up as well.

Way to go Vern! Great buck, great team work, great story!!! Congrats my friend!!!