Sign in to follow this  
kidso

Unit 33 Javelina

Heard a deer whiff me early in the morning and had it turn and move directly at me from the brush. It caught me totally off guard as I have never deer hunted nor shot at a deer, but I had a tag in my backpack. I was staring at its antlers and counting points...it was a 4x4 whitetail. I drew back and fired early...I guess...as my arrow zipped directly in front of it. I figured that I was too excited and did not anchor the bow string in the corner of my mouth and I may have even forgot to use my peep sight! It was a 15 yard shot. An hour or two later, I did the same thing on a javelina at 10 yards...becasue I missed again. I was into small herds of 6-8 javelina twice thereafter, but at around 4:30 pm I walked into another herd. This time, I was patient. I stood atop a boulder and actually used the rangefinder around my neck. It said 38.4 yards. I put my 40 yard pin right on the front center of the pig, drew my bow all the way back, anchored it, looked through the peep sight, and fired. Whack! The javelina took off. I gave it 20-30 minutes then trailed it with waning daylight. I lost the blood trail when I heard it moving down a ridge and charged after it, but never found it. I felt like giving up, but went all the way back up the ridge and trailed its blood step by step and found the javelina about 30 minutes later. BBQ pig ribs tonight!

post-4429-0-09779600-1325602852_thumb.jpg

post-4429-0-09633300-1325602906_thumb.jpg

post-4429-0-68666900-1325602927_thumb.jpg

That's a big pig you shot Keith. Congratulations and way to stick with the tracking job. I can certainly relate to you missing that buck. It's easy to not do the little things, like looking thru your peep site or anchor wrong, when you are all worked up with excitement. Thanks for sharing your story and picture. :)

TJ

I was down there in 33 as well but didnt find any pigs.. 20does and 4bucks. Nice job on the success !!

Awesome. I love 33 it's such a great unit. You have become quite the tracker, I think you were born 200 years too late.