cmc

HB 2072 Sale of big game tags

Well you all can vote for who you want but for me Jerry Weiers will get my support--i know what he has done and i know what he can do for us. Think about it--how many politicians do you know that are out there that would have listened to you? Jerry seen the majority was in disagreement and he did the right thing.

Here is hoping he has a fast recovery so he can get back to helping all of us!

me too

• Like 1

I am only going to make 1 post on this subject and that is it.

It is really sad that sportsmen are so obsessed with losing 1 tag from a hunt that would go to raffle or auction in order to help prolong the sport of hunting in this great state. For example if we take 1 tag out of unit 10 for the early archery hunt there would be 199 tags available for draw instead of 200. Now we auction that tag off and bring in $5000 for the tag, all that money is going right back to keep hunting alive and opening up more land for us to hunt.

We need groups like the AZSFW to not only fight legislation that goes through that most sportsmen will never hear about, but to also keep the sport alive. This bill was not only going to help out the sport in the long run, it was also in place to help open up more private property for the average joe hunter who cannot afford to go up to the high dollar ranches in some of the best antelope units and now some of the best elk units. These changes may not have been scene in the first 5 years, but as everybody preaches on here we need to think about the future for the kids. This bill was going to be one of the best things that could have happened for the future generations in this state.

There has also been talk about how this will be the first step to having landowner tags. How is it possible that will happen when it is stated that the proceeds of these tag sales will go fourth to help open up for private land for public access.

I know that BPJ has taken a beating from just about everybody who has posted on here and he has done nothing but responded to all of the questions and criticism. BPJ I hope you know there are people out there that do care about this state and support a lot of your opinions. Keep up the great work

• Like 2

I am only going to make 1 post on this subject and that is it.

It is really sad that sportsmen are so obsessed with losing 1 tag from a hunt that would go to raffle or auction in order to help prolong the sport of hunting in this great state. For example if we take 1 tag out of unit 10 for the early archery hunt there would be 199 tags available for draw instead of 200. Now we auction that tag off and bring in $5000 for the tag, all that money is going right back to keep hunting alive and opening up more land for us to hunt.

We need groups like the AZSFW to not only fight legislation that goes through that most sportsmen will never hear about, but to also keep the sport alive. This bill was not only going to help out the sport in the long run, it was also in place to help open up more private property for the average joe hunter who cannot afford to go up to the high dollar ranches in some of the best antelope units and now some of the best elk units. These changes may not have been scene in the first 5 years, but as everybody preaches on here we need to think about the future for the kids. This bill was going to be one of the best things that could have happened for the future generations in this state.

There has also been talk about how this will be the first step to having landowner tags. How is it possible that will happen when it is stated that the proceeds of these tag sales will go fourth to help open up for private land for public access.

I know that BPJ has taken a beating from just about everybody who has posted on here and he has done nothing but responded to all of the questions and criticism. BPJ I hope you know there are people out there that do care about this state and support a lot of your opinions. Keep up the great work

5 years from now they would be saying, "hey, if we had 3 tags from each unit, we could REALLY help the herds." Once the foot is in the door, they will eventually kick it in. That's human nature.

• Like 3

We need groups like the AZSFW to not only fight legislation that goes through that most sportsmen will never hear about, but to also keep the sport alive.

Thats exactly what almost happened here! Legislation that hunters never heard of... This is why ASFW need to go away! They cant be trusted.

Bumper stickers are being printed as I type... ;)

• Like 2

pbj, the fact remains that you tried to take 350 of the very best big game permits Arizona has to offer, away from us po' folk, that are too stupid to understand your good intentions i might add, and basically hand them to folks who can afford anything. now there is proof you are associated with bear poachers? it just keeps getting better. once again, no conspiracy theory, it's a conspiracy fact. you guys conspired to take 350 of the best tags, that a state that doesn't have many tags to start with, has to offer. one thing about it, folks are gonna pay a lot more attention to things from now on, because you and your cronies have proved that you can't be trusted. now go away and plot your next scam. Lark.

Ok Lark, I will dance my way into the sunset, BUT... I need to clarify ONE MORE TIME... 300 of those tags were for raffle. Everyone could enter, and enter only 1 time, for I think it was going to be $5.00 each. Those who attended the expo could place their raffle ticket in and the event was going to be culminated by drawing those tags of raffle. I fail to see where that was taking away from the po' folks... it was designed for us. I use the "us " term, because I will never be in the category of an auction tag buyer. Drawing a line to bear poachers is something that I cannot understand. I have never heard of AlaskaSFW until today. I do not understand that conspiracy theory. I assume that you are ignoring all the good things that the AZSFW did during its' existence. That in itself is a sad statement. I am glad however that the hunting community has spoken, that it is vigilant and that your voices were heard. It is indeed time to let it go, but to maintain a watch. I guarantee that there will be decisions coming along next year that will affect all of us regarding the Mexican gray wolf. I hope that if I check back when that storm comes in I will find you as active and in good health. Regards, BPJ

• Like 1

Well you all can vote for who you want but for me Jerry Weiers will get my support--i know what he has done and i know what he can do for us. Think about it--how many politicians do you know that are out there that would have listened to you? Jerry seen the majority was in disagreement and he did the right thing.

Here is hoping he has a fast recovery so he can get back to helping all of us!

A voice of reason during the storm. Thanks Terry, I appreciate the support for Jerry. Most will never know of all his contributions, but I know that you have been present during some of the tougher times. Regards, BPJ

• Like 1

bj-as long as you want to answer questions -- i know its dead !but these things didnt bother you?

- explain this please - someone buys as many tags as they want and shoot what they want each year and still able to apply in the general hunt

so they just rewrite the articles of g&f to make sure the big boys can have a real good time --

All tags shall be exempt from the bag limit established from time to time by the commission

with the limitation that the qualifying organization shall not issue more than one permit or tag

per species per year to an individual except for auction permits or tags. Mule deer and

whitetail deer are treated as separate species.

or this - nothing stated so a checks and balance system is installed as to who monitors how much $$$ is actually raised - where it is spent -

he qualified organization shall first apply the proceeds from the resale by auction and raffle of the rights to tags to cover all costs associated with the annual sportsmen exposition in this state and any county chapter banquets at which rights to tags are auctioned or raffled. The qualified organization shall apply the remaining proceeds from the resale by auction and raffle of the rights to tags in this state for programs to achieve any of the following purposes, including the qualified organization's costs of administration:

oh yeah real assuring- The money will not be going into the general fund. The revenue will be paid directly to the AZSFWC and therefore no state agency can touch the money.

What is this a COMING OUT OF THE CLOSET bill from Rep Wierds :angry:

If he has done so much for the sport then maybe he's been around to long and its time for the pasture, or he has been bought or its mid-life crisis anyway you see it his days are over!!!!!!!!

The failures of Weiers and AZFSW are their own fault and has nothing to do with 'us' sportsmen. We have not been included in any partnership on these legislative proposals. By failures I mean this debacle and the Hunter's rights ballot bill. How much lobbyist money was spent on that poorly written bill that was so bad the majority of hunters voted against. A little inclusion and input during the drafting stage of those 'expected' to support at the polls would have probably resulted in success... but that's too obvious. And we are expected to blindly support a losing record with 350 tags and the funds they generate? Nope.

Enough generalities... I spent a little time trying to form an opinion of the 'Good' legislation allegedly enacted by these entities. Can't find much, for the same reason we aren't ever included in the first place. I'm willing to listen to specifics, here's your chance.

The commission review board... I've found the names, a little info that sheds almost no light on the individuals... and their first minutes of the initial meeting, which sheds little light... How are they appointed? Who appoints them? What qualifies them to be the only source of appointee review. What advantage it is to us to have another 'non answerable to the voting constituency' 5 person panel, making decisions and another step away from the original 'non answerable to the voting constituency' 5 person G&F commission. We sportsmen aren't involved in the board selection and it puts one more step away from our voting voice. What's to keep the review board from being stacked liberal in the future and the tables being turned on us?... I really don't have enough specifics to know if this is a good thing or not, here's a chance to convince us that our best interests as a group were being worked for.

I would like to also know specifically what other legislation has been enacted, we can start other threads to specifically review and dissect those.

And what is this new Omnibus bill? maybe it'd be a good time to start including us if you want our support.

Kent

So taking only (1) unit 9 early bull tag for auction when there are only 25 tags, um that's 4% of the tags for that hunt.

(1) archery bull tag in a unit with only 50 tags is 2% of the tags, I could go on...

but hey it is only .02% of the available tags right?

• Like 1

The failures of Weiers and AZFSW are their own fault and has nothing to do with 'us' sportsmen. We have not been included in any partnership on these legislative proposals. By failures I mean this debacle and the Hunter's rights ballot bill. How much lobbyist money was spent on that poorly written bill that was so bad the majority of hunters voted against. A little inclusion and input during the drafting stage of those 'expected' to support at the polls would have probably resulted in success... but that's too obvious. And we are expected to blindly support a losing record with 350 tags and the funds they generate? Nope.

Enough generalities... I spent a little time trying to form an opinion of the 'Good' legislation allegedly enacted by these entities. Can't find much, for the same reason we aren't ever included in the first place. I'm willing to listen to specifics, here's your chance.

The commission review board... I've found the names, a little info that sheds almost no light on the individuals... and their first minutes of the initial meeting, which sheds little light... How are they appointed? Who appoints them? What qualifies them to be the only source of appointee review. What advantage it is to us to have another 'non answerable to the voting constituency' 5 person panel, making decisions and another step away from the original 'non answerable to the voting constituency' 5 person G&F commission. We sportsmen aren't involved in the board selection and it puts one more step away from our voting voice. What's to keep the review board from being stacked liberal in the future and the tables being turned on us?... I really don't have enough specifics to know if this is a good thing or not, here's a chance to convince us that our best interests as a group were being worked for.

I would like to also know specifically what other legislation has been enacted, we can start other threads to specifically review and dissect those.

And what is this new Omnibus bill? maybe it'd be a good time to start including us if you want our support.

Kent

Good morning Kent. First and foremost, The AZSFW did not propose the "right to hunt" item. That was brought forward by the NRA...We (sportsmen) were asked to help in the issue when it became apparent that the NRA was seeing this as a clear win, no contest and would not fund the necessary monies to fight against the Sierra Club and others who called it a "power Grab". . So this "slick" operation was not created by the AZSFW. We attempted to support it when it became clear that it needed help. There is a public call and any individual can apply for a seat on the Commission review board. That position is appointed by the governor, and anyone can apply based on their particular affiliation or simply as a member of the public at large. You saw the minutes, so you know how the meetings go. Anyone can apply for a spot as commissioner, and we have had record numbers of people apply, since it is no longer a "connected " appointment. The review board that looks at all the candidates is a result of the AZSFW and their efforts. If you would like to see a sample of the other "successes" of the AZSFW, please go back and Google the 2006 SB1441. It gave back money ($3.5 million) that had been swept from sportsmen in prior years and was placed in significant areas around the state in worthwhile projects. Ask the Cattlemen and sportsmen in the Southeastern part of the state how valuable that money was. The AZSFW is not connected with the Omnibus spending bill. That is the Arizona Game & Fish Departments bill to the legislature and they have selected Representative Weiers to carry the bill for them. I personally dislike going to the legislature, but is a necessity at times. I like where some of the members want to remove Representative Weiers because he dared to bring the bill in. It never saw a single meeting of a single sub committee. For those who are not aware, you cannot just take a bill and have it voted on in a single day. It has to make its way through a series of committees and then to the floor as a whole and then through both houses and then signed by the Governor. That process even under the best of conditions takes time. Lots of time. The hunters spoke, and Representative Weiers pulled the bill even before it made it to one committee... But some in this site want him removed. I do not hear about anyone wanting to remove Representative Daniel Patterson however, who is highly thought of by the CBD, the Sierra Club and the Defenders of Wildlife. As far as informing everyone at this site about all potential bills that are in the legislature and that we think you need to support....It is the responsibility of every individual to try and know what is going one each year politically. The AZSFW was one of the few places that sent out e-mails regarding what was happening politically. All you had to do was give them your e-mail address and it was provided.I have given this site the better part of 6 days of attempting to answer questions and I have responded as well as I could. I am not a "powerful" political player, just an average guy who has been involved with the groups that I mentioned way back 20 some pages ago. I did like the concept of the HB2072 and therefore was in support of it. I was not part of the crafting of the bill and certainly would have done some things differently had it been mine to do. I do know the people who were part of the process and I respect them greatly for all that they have done over the years for wildlife. Mistakes were made, but the removal of the bill was the result of sportsmen reacting as quickly as they did. Certainly there has been some dialogue that was beneficial and some that was derogatory. I apologize, but this will be my last effort on explanations. The good that has come out of this is that people have become involved. I wish all of you well and I hope that the hunting fraternity can be made better from the process. Regards...BPJ

• Like 1

my only comment after reading thru this mess is. If this was such an honorable deal why didn't BPJ or any one else for that matter come on this forum and say something beforehand. Like hey were looking at proposing this deal, this is why and what do you all think....My thinking is that when something is snuck in thru the back door, it most likely didn't belong inside in the first place.

• Like 2