Sign in to follow this  
neb

Huachuca Road closures

www.fs.fed.us/nepa/nepa_project_exp.php?project=36560

The Forest Service has proposed closing 150+ miles of roads in the Huachuca Mountains Coronado National Forest. The comment period goes into February and the closures are planned for early 2013. Most closures south of the Huachucas to the border (Unit 35A) are roads that have been present for decades and are used by hunters and Border Patrol extensively. I would encourage anyone with an interest to review and comment on this plan. Absent a dramatic response from those concerned with these closures it will happen. I have been hunting this area since the mid seventies and have seen dramatic closures of access on both sides of the Huachucas from Wilderness designation; Arizona trail closure and administrative blockages by the Forest Service. I would strongly encourage opposition to these proposed closures.

Thanks,

Nathan Beneze

Edited by neb

These roads will be closed to border patrol also?

I can't tell from the info I looked a so far. Several roads are listed as "FS restricted", I'm not sure what that means. All of the roads closed for Wilderness and Az. Trail do not allow Border Patrol access. My guess is it would be difficult to close them for hunting and 4-wheelers and keep them open for the BP.

neb

We know the real reason they want to close those roads.

Bet ya Raúl M. Grijalva is the driving force behind this.

We know the real reason they want to close those roads.

Bet ya Raúl M. Grijalva is the driving force behind this.

I don't know if we can change it but every comment to them can't hurt. I've been contacting 4-wheeler clubs and some prospecting groups to try to get some opposition. I'll be at the Huachuca Whitetail Club annual banquet on 2/4/2012. Hopefully we can get more comments. Iwas looking at the plans more tonight and it makes me want to puke. EVERY road has some purported enviromental or erosion impact. It looks like all of the "Restricted "roads will not allow the public access.

neb

Remember to follow the proper channels for submitting comments.....pissing and moaning about it without doing it properly is just pissing and moaning. I'm totally against this!

1326161714[/url]' post='288393']
1326157678[/url]' post='288382']

I can't tell from the info I looked a so far. Several roads are listed as "FS restricted", I'm not sure what that means. All of the roads closed for Wilderness and Az. Trail do not allow Border Patrol access. My guess is it would be difficult to close them for hunting and 4-wheelers and keep them open for the BP.

neb

I spend a lot of time hunting in the San Pedro Riparian Preserve. This area is closed to ALL motorized vehicular traffic so we walk or bike in several miles each way. The access points are all locked and well signed to make it clear that no motorized vehicles are allowed...but what they really mean is no motorized access to hunters unless you have connections. If you are with BLM, boarder Patrol, or Sherriff Department you can get a key. If you have a friend who works for any of these groups you can get a key. If you need to study or photograph birds, you can get a key. It is amazing how many BP agents, BLM employees, and their friends need to work in the area during January, all the while they take their private vehicles and bows to work with them and camo is their uniform. Somehow hunters vehicles must be more environmentally damaging than the vehicles of these other interested parties. I don't mind vehicle access to these areas being shut off, but let's all play by the same rules.

Rest assured, if these roads are restricted, it will not be to all hunters, just those who are not well connected. You will be able to still hunt your favorite spots if you are willing to work hard enough to hike in. Once you get there you will be able to share it with the friends, neighbors and family of the chosen few who have been blessed with keys and are able to drive in.

• Like 1

1326161714[/url]' post='288393']
1326157678[/url]' post='288382']

neb

I spend a lot of time hunting in the San Pedro Riparian Preserve. This area is closed to ALL motorized vehicular traffic so we walk or bike in several miles each way. The access points are all locked and well signed to make it clear that no motorized vehicles are allowed...but what they really mean is no motorized access to hunters unless you have connections. If you are with BLM, boarder Patrol, or Sherriff Department you can get a key. If you have a friend who works for any of these groups you can get a key. If you need to study or photograph birds, you can get a key. It is amazing how many BP agents, BLM employees, and their friends need to work in the area during January, all the while they take their private vehicles and bows to work with them and camo is their uniform. Somehow hunters vehicles must be more environmentally damaging than the vehicles of these other interested parties. I don't mind vehicle access to these areas being shut off, but let's all play by the same rules.

Rest assured, if these roads are restricted, it will not be to all hunters, just those who are not well connected. You will be able to still hunt your favorite spots if you are willing to work hard enough to hike in. Once you get there you will be able to share it with the friends, neighbors and family of the chosen few who have been blessed with keys and are able to drive in.

What BS. Over the next month I plan to work on getting as much opposition to this as I can. I've been sending messages most of the evening. There were only 5 messages posted this afternoon when I last checked. Hopefully I (we) can get enough to get their attention. Have sent messages to some of the prospecting clubs also as they are blocking about 6 miles of road access to Ash Canyon, one of the Placer gold areas in the Huachucas. Any help in this issue will be gratly appreciated.

Thanks.

NB

Remember to follow the proper channels for submitting comments.....pissing and moaning about it without doing it properly is just pissing and moaning. I'm totally against this!

I'm playing it by the book. All comments are apreciated, thanks,

NB

I also hunt the SPRNCA and I'm always really puzzled by the amount of fresh vehicle tracks behind locked gates... Also the amount of shotgun hulls in non-firearm areas. Just to give the bird watchers a case of red arse I want to duck hunt on the pond behind the san pedro house with my bow/longbow and flu flu's... I bet the weekly birding walking tour groups would LOVE that! haha.

Im calling BS on this. I am not saying it never has happend, but I work in the Riparian area EVERY DAY. I have NEVER seen a off duty BP, Sheriff or BLM employee in their personal vehicle hunting behind locked gates. Also those keys are accounted for pretty hard (I have one that is inventoried pretty regularly) so I doubt they are being given away to their friends. I do know some that hunt it, but they walk in, just like you or I. The reason that there is so much vehicle traffic in that area is because smugglers use those areas to drive around the checkpoints and the SD and BP work the area to partol the area for them. Yes, it is true that occasionaly BLM will allow biologists or others in there in their private vehicles but I personally cannot comment on that. If you ever see a BP or deputy or BLM hunting either on-duty or off duty in their private vehicle, I would suggest that you call BLM dipatch or their respective agency and they can be held responsible for it.

• Like 2

1326250292[/url]' post='288744']

Im calling BS on this. I am not saying it never has happend, but I work in the Riparian area EVERY DAY. I have NEVER seen a off duty BP, Sheriff or BLM employee in their personal vehicle hunting behind locked gates. Also those keys are accounted for pretty hard (I have one that is inventoried pretty regularly) so I doubt they are being given away to their friends. I do know some that hunt it, but they walk in, just like you or I. The reason that there is so much vehicle traffic in that area is because smugglers use those areas to drive around the checkpoints and the SD and BP work the area to partol the area for them. Yes, it is true that occasionaly BLM will allow biologists or others in there in their private vehicles but I personally cannot comment on that. If you ever see a BP or deputy or BLM hunting either on-duty or off duty in their private vehicle, I would suggest that you call BLM dipatch or their respective agency and they can be held responsible for it.

You can call BS on this, if you want. I am not saying that this is an open highway of hunting vehicles, I am just saying it happens, and it is not a rarity when it does. Some of the people who have done, and still do this are friends and I am not wanting to cause them any problems.

My pointis simple. If it is in the public's best interest to close a road, close it to all, official and non official vehicles. If the use of a road is not damaging to an area, let the road be open. Keys are inventoried, and regulations are in place, but people will be human and things happen. Some gates also have combination locks on them rather than locks with inventoried keys.

You say you work in there everyday. Will you honestly say that you don't know of employees who ever check their trail cams or did a little shed hunting during their lunch break? I have no problem with them doing this, heck I enjoy seeing the pictures and sheds. However, they have benefitted from vehicle access that is denied to others.

One other point, if driving in the closed area is harmful, why would BLM build a new building two miles past the locked gates?

I am not looking to cause problems for anybody here. I am just saying that we already have closed/restricted roads and on those roads there is traffic that is official, unofficial, and illegal. If they are to be closed, close them completely, if use is going to be allowed by some, allow it by all.

Right or wrong, it's just my opinion.

• Like 1

Hey Bradne can I borrow your key. There is a sixer in it for you. ;)

No thanks. I will keep my ethics and my job. You can keep the sixer. As a matter of fact, I will buy the sixer if you're down in my neck of the woods.

• Like 1