CouesSlayer77

Hunting boots: what's good and what isn't?

i usaually have to use 1 size larger than my shoe size. i use cabelas gore-tex scent-lok. i need heavy socks in cold weather but other wise have filled all my needs and at 350 lbs i'm hard on my boots

Seems like so far the danners and the kenetreks are a favorite but has anyone an opinion on the meidelles? I have seen a couple positive reviews but my dad has the Denali hunters and he says he isn't sure if he would buy them again so idk.

I was the only Danner guy seems everyone else has had issues. Fit me great and work well for me.

I've had the Cabela's Meindl Perfekt hunters for couple seasons now and they are still going strong. Great boots. I've heard nothing but good things about the Kenetreks too - just take a little while to break in.

• Like 1

Seems like so far the danners and the kenetreks are a favorite but has anyone an opinion on the meidelles? I have seen a couple positive reviews but my dad has the Denali hunters and he says he isn't sure if he would buy them again so idk.

The perfekt hikers and Perfekt Hunters are made in Germany. A lot of their other boots are made elsewhere and not as good quality.

Meindl are nice and well made and I was a Danner guy for a long time. Since then I have broken down and started buying higher end boots mostly from REI. For a lighter boot the Asolo Fugitives I have worn the last 2 year are the best I have worn and for packing with a moderate to heavy load Zamberlan's have been awesome. I added Lathrop inserts to the Zamberlan's and after a lot of hiking with a pack I may be sore but my feet never are.

Go try on a bunch of them on and Cabelas, Bass Pro, and REI find what fits best and has the features you want and ignore the brand as long as it is a quality made boot. Add after market inserts to any boot you get and your feet will be very happy and you will have more stamina. You will be surprised how much better your feet and ankles can feel if you take the time to get things right.

Good luck!

I have a high arch and EE-EEE wide feet so buying boots that are light and fit is a chore. I have had Rocky boots last 15 years but the last pair blew out the heel and it was not repairable. I purchased a pair of Danner Pronghorn boots in 2009 and other than being a little tight width wise they have been fine.

The first time I put them on with a pair of Smart Wool socks they were tight but loosened up the first 100 yards and felt like an old pair of boots as there was litterly no break in time. They are also pretty quiet.

OH SNAP -These seem to go with all my hunting outfit's! :huh:

I would defiantly go with those!!! Look comfortable for the long run lol

Kenetrek Hardscrabble Hiker for most of my hunting, early in to fall. The Crispi Hunter HTG GTX for colder weather. Both awesome boots. I too have a weak ankle and these boots are very comfortable and give me great foot and ankle support.

i am a diehard Danner guy.. or was

I bought Under Armour new Hunting boot and they by far blow any boot i have EVER put on and hiked in...

I purchased the Danner 453 Hiker in early October. I had an Early November hunt down south, so I wore them every day to work to really get them broken in. They have been the best pair of hunting boots I have ever had. I've had other pairs of Danners, Rockys, and other brands, but this particular boot has been great. It's all about fit, if the boot doesn't fit then it's sh-t! I was going to buy the Pronghorn, but it didn't fit me right. Spend the money on a quality boot ($180 +) and get one that fits, and you wont be sorry.

i am a diehard Danner guy.. or was

I bought Under Armour new Hunting boot and they by far blow any boot i have EVER put on and hiked in...

I bought a pair of Under Armour Speed Freaks for my elk hunt and I think they really fill the gap between "Serious Hunting" boots and the cheap, light stuff. I've gone through several pairs of Danner GTX, and still wear them, but mostly for my around-the-house work boot.

The speed freaks will NEVER be in the same category as Meindl Perfekt Hunter, Kenetrek, etc. But realistically, they aren't supposed to. If you are hunting hard country, lots of hiking in steep, rocky terrain, you need a super solid boot. That's where Meindl, Kenetrek, Asolo and others really shine.

If you're hiking around in the pines or stalking in the lower desert, sometimes you want a boot that's more like a good running shoe. The speed freaks do that really well for me as long as I know their limitations.

One thing to think about with light or mid-weight boots in the desert. If you pay a lot for a waterproof boot that is half leather and half nylon/cordura with a Gore Tex or similar waterproof lining - forget it. The cactus will poke more holes in that lightweight upper than the fabric can make up for. Your boots will leak like a $20 pair of Big 5 boots from china after one day.

If you're gonna walk through cactus, shin daggers and cat claw, and still need water-proofing, you have to pick a solid leather upper.

Just my opinion, but I've bought lots of boots over the years - for myself, my kids and my wife. Some have been stellar, some have been dogs.

As a final illustration - might be worth a laugh...Years back I hiked some nasty stuff to get to a good glassing point. As I cooked up a light lunch I noticed a black rubber "discard". It was the entire sole of a "Rocky" boot. I always wonder how in the heck that guy got back off that mountain with half of a boot. Kinda drove home the importance of having a boot that can keep up with you.

Good hunting,

Coach.

Having tried many of the brands and models listed here I will add my comments. First off, Danner Pronghorns and Meidl Perfekts are just glorified high top sneakers. That is why they are so comfortable and don't last too long. They don't provide much in the way of foot support (read rocky nasty country) and have marginal ankle support. I have Meidl Canadas and Alaskans, Danner Santiam (top of the line Danner), Kennetreks, Lowa, Whites, Hathorns, Red wings and I could go on.

The Kennetreks are far better than anything Danner ever made, they are, however, a distance second to either the Lowas or the Meidl Canadas and Alaskans. I can get through two seasons with a pair of Meidls and the Kennetreks had to be sent back after only 4 hunts.

Danners ALL have somewhat narrow lasts. I have to order EE in a full size bigger than I normally wear to get some that I can fit my foot into. They are too long this way.

Rocky doesn't make a decent rough country boot. If you are bird hunting or get out 4-5 days a year, it won't matter much what boot you get. I hunted 270 days last year and can really wear out boots.

If you are hunting in Rough country a lot and especially if you have to do it several days in a row, you will really benefit from the better mountaineering type boots. These are the better Meidls, Lowas, Hanwags, Crispis and even the Kennetreks.

I havent gotten a pair of danner's yet....(but will this year)My buddy doesn't buy anything else.

I have two pairs of Kenetrek Extremes, (non-insulated and 400 gram) and I just purchased a pair of the Desert Guide boots today. Once I get them and take them on a few trips this year, I will post a review. I love my Kenetreks, but they do have a lengthy break-in period of 50 miles and that has frustrated some consumers.