Sign in to follow this  
stanley

Safety and Common Courtesy

Not sure if this has been posted here yet, but I saw this story today. Sucks for him! :angry: Need to be respectful and safe, and pick-up all casings, bullets, shells, etc.... Not only is it litter, but apparently it's dangerous too!

Be safe all!

S.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Bullet-buried-in-desert-blinds-Arizona-man-137021548.html

6 years ago helping my dad and his friends on their elk hunt, I was digging out their fire pit and found two 300 win mags still live in the pit... I ended up digging the entire pit down 4 feet, and shovle by shovle brought dirt in from the wash 30 yards away...

I find more garbage,shells, bottle and beer cans scattered all over my favorite hunting area. People complain about the illegals and the trash left behind by them, but we have non-illegals leaving alot of stuff just thrown all over the area. People need to start taking more resposiblility for themselves. Thanks, for letting me vent.

I remember when it used to be nice to camp next to the creek at Sycamore right across Beeline from Four Peaks. I haven't been back in there lately but I believe it has been closed because of how bad it has been trashed. What is wrong with people???? TV's, refrigerators, washers and dryers, you name it, all shot up and left behind like it was the city dump.

I am not sure what the article meant when it said spent ammunition was also dangerous.

As mentioned already, there are a lot of places in both the mountains and deserts of Arizona (and every other state) that is nothing but a garbage dump due to people hauling out their old tvs and refrigerators and shooting them up. Unfortunatley this gives a lot of credibiltiy to the people and organizations that would like to restrict our ability to shoot on public lands (we already cannot target shoot on AZ state land). Then you have some idiots that place live ammo in a fire pit which caused somebody to lose an eye. I have picked up thousands of pieces of good reloadable brass from sites like this. It alway amazed me how someone could leave that stuff laying around. Even if they don't reload, they should be able to find someone that does to give it too. Sometimes sportsmen (and I use that term loosely) are our own worst enemy. I have made it a practice that if I target shoot on public land, to bring back more than I take out and throw it away. I encourage all shooters to do the same.

• Like 1

This reminds me of something my Grandpa used to say ... "Man is the only animal that craps in it's own den." He used a stronger word though :lol: He was no tree hugger ... just an avid sportsman who loved the land that he used and treated it with respect and admiration. That has lived on in my Dad and I, and I hope to pass it on to my boys. They are off to a good start. It's too bad that so many people are too lazy (or just too irresponsible) to do things the right way. I see so many areas that have been shot up ... shooting signs, cactus and whatever else and then leaving the casings laying where they fall. If you love to shoot (like I do), shoot respectfully. Don't destroy things ... and for God's sake clean up your mess. I've taken to bringing a large carpet scrap where I go so that my shell casings fall on the carpet and I can easily clean them up with a dust pan and whisk broom. If you are smart, clean up is easy, and it keeps our environment clean. We all need to do our part ... which has the side effect of removing the tree hugger's ammunition to use against us.

I find live shotgun shells all the time. It appears that some people are in such a hurry to get out of their vehicle that they drop shells on the ground. A cattle rancher told me that cows like to chew on shotgun shells and has found them in the stomach which is not good for the cow or for the rancher or for us getting access.