AZ_SAWBUCK

Vortex Viper 15 x 50s'?

I have been checking this site out for some time now and really enjoy all of the interesting and usefull info posted here, finally decided to join. Great job guys.....With that said, I need some input on optics. I need to reach out and check out more country "Its Time". My Nikon 10x42 are nice but they are just not cutting it. The 15x56 Swaro's are not in the budget and the Kiababs are too wide and dont fit my narrow face. So whats left? I really like the Viper 15x50 just wondering of anyone has used them in the field? Pros & Cons? ALso has any one used Minox 15x56 binos? Thanks for the help.

I have been checking this site out for some time now and really enjoy all of the interesting and usefull info posted here, finally decided to join. Great job guys.....With that said, I need some input on optics. I need to reach out and check out more country "Its Time". My Nikon 10x42 are nice but they are just not cutting it. The 15x56 Swaro's are not in the budget and the Kiababs are too wide and dont fit my narrow face. So whats left? I really like the Viper 15x50 just wondering of anyone has used them in the field? Pros & Cons? ALso has any one used Minox 15x56 binos? Thanks for the help.

I Use the viper 15X50 and really like them, though after checking out the Viper HD I want to upgrade... The quality is excellent but the size is the biggest factor I like ... used with a Harness easy to use freehand, and I use a mono-pod for longer slower glassing. I would recommend a two piece tripod adapter like the Outdoorsman or Vortex (not the one piece)... The HD's are my next pair. I have also used the Minox (my brothers) which were a tad bit brighter allowing more light in and a little larger viewing area, My preference to the Vipers is based on side and liking to have the one bino with me and using a Mono-pod...

I love my Doctor 15x60's. but they are not easy to find.

I have viper 15 hd and I love them. In a side by side with Minox they are brighter and half the weight!! I also upgraded from monarch 10x42 ... Night an day difference in the 15x50 hd vipers. Love them!!

I've used the Viper 15x50 for a couple years...love them. Carried them on harness for a long time and have just recently added a set of 10x42 to my optics arsenal so the 15x50 ride in my pack and see most use on the tripod. Honestly haven't tried the Viper HD, but I hear the difference is significant. If I ever upgrade from them it will be to Kaibab or some higher dollar glass. For the money you can't beat the Vipers.

The Kaibabs would be my first recommendation. They are so close to the SLC's that paying 1k more would be silly in my opinion. If these don't fit your face I would def look into the Viper HDs. They are no Kaibabs but they would be the next best thing. Most people say the SLCs don't fit their face and most opt for the Kaibabs due to this. Was there anything obstructing the henge?

The Kaibabs would be my first recommendation. They are so close to the SLC's that paying 1k more would be silly in my opinion. If these don't fit your face I would def look into the Viper HDs. They are no Kaibabs but they would be the next best thing. Most people say the SLCs don't fit their face and most opt for the Kaibabs due to this. Was there anything obstructing the henge?

Thanks for your $.02. The henge on the Kiababs does not get close enough together to get a complete view. The SLC's fit good and they would be my first choice, just not going to be able to spring for them anytime soon. My main concern on the Vipers is the focus factor and eye fatigue. I have heard of guys having these issues in the past. Also The Vipers have "HD" glass as do the Kiababs, so whats the big difference between the Vipers and the Kiababs components that makes the kiababs twice the cost?

Thanks for your $.02. The henge on the Kiababs does not get close enough together to get a complete view. The SLC's fit good and they would be my first choice, just not going to be able to spring for them anytime soon. My main concern on the Vipers is the focus factor and eye fatigue. I have heard of guys having these issues in the past. Also The Vipers have "HD" glass as do the Kiababs, so whats the big difference between the Vipers and the Kiababs components that makes the kiababs twice the cost?

The Kaibabs have a bigger objective then the Vipers. This will gather more light and the eye relief on the Kaibabs is better. The "HD" component is an extra lens in the bino to correct chromatic aberration. Besides the bigger objective the biggest difference and most important is the quality of the glass. The Kaibab's use a better quality glass then the Viper HD.

The Kaibabs have a bigger objective then the Vipers. This will gather more light and the eye relief on the Kaibabs is better. The "HD" component is an extra lens in the bino to correct chromatic aberration. Besides the bigger objective the biggest difference and most important is the quality of the glass. The Kaibab's use a better quality glass then the Viper HD.

I have the 15x50 HD vipers and love them. I also have the minox 15x58's. I bought the vipers when my 10x42's were stolen out of my truck and needed a pair to wear around my neck. I already had the minox 15's but can you really have too many pairs of 15's? what I like about the vipers compared to the minox is ther size and weight. My minox are great but they are tanks and can make a pack quit heavy after a few miles. the vipers HD's are bright and clear and are well worth the $$$.

I have the regular Viper 15x50s (not HD). I like them, don't love them. I like the size and the price a lot. Also, I just got done with 3 days of glassing intensely and did not get eye fatigue at all. But, the clarity is just not near the Swaros my pals had.

I've found a lot of game with them exclusively on a tripod and feel they serve the purpose I needed without breaking the bank or making me all cautious in the field.

I have read various reviews where a pair of Swaro's is a rated a 100, and the kaibabs got a 97 (plus or minus 2). Assuming those rankings are fair, I wonder what the viper hd's woud rate on the same scale. With the Kaibab's you get 97% of the performance for 63% of the cost. That seems like a no brainer if money is any sort of an issue. The viper hd's are only 35% the cost of the Swaro's. Is the performance close enough to justify the purchase, or will you have buyers remorse? When the piggy bank hits $659 to you drop it on vipers or do you keep on saving?

I've had the Viper 15 X 50 (non hd) for a couple of seasons. Got a smoking deal online, ($399) at eagle optics, as they phased them out for the HD model. I would not be happy with them for what was then retail ($750) but for what I paid, can't be happier.

+'s No eye fatigue, size / weight, warranty, quality, price I paid.

-'s smallish field of view, edges of sight window a little fuzzy, not the best in very low light, can't freehand them worth a darn even with bino buddies.

I keep them in my pack for tripod use only. Wear some 8X leupolds for neck wear, while mobile.

would be curious to look thru the HD's. I have gone side ny side compared against the Kaibabs. They held their own unless dusk or dawn.