Sign in to follow this  
singleshot

Couple of pigs

I had a pretty good idea where some pigs were hanging out so the "lucky one" came by with his 2 grandsons one evening to give them a try. We found them and after a little manuevering Rusty was able to get off a shot. We heard the arrow hit some brush before it struck the pig, but it sounded good and the pig went out like his tail was on fire.

This is the branch that he hit. A small mesquite limb about 1/2 inch in diameter.

post-958-0-38773200-1326941139_thumb.jpg

Rusty was shooting 100 grain Vortex broadheads and we were sure the deflection would have opened at least 1 blade so we were a little concerned about penetration. Rusty had his son in law meet us back at the house with an extra flashlight and we returned to try and find some blood.

This is where the quite heavy blood trail led us.

post-958-0-74122600-1326941987_thumb.jpg

Of course he had died in the center of the culvert, which was an 18 inch pipe about 1/3 full of dirt. We joked with the kids telling them we were going to tie a rope to their feet and to let us know when they had a hold of him so we could drag them out. I went over to the barn and this is what we came up with.

post-958-0-06821600-1326942328_thumb.jpg

post-958-0-41235600-1326942430_thumb.jpg

The hog extractor worked, and so did that Vortex broadhead. The blade had in fact been open on impact and full penetration was achieved.

This shows the penetration and exit.

post-958-0-39071500-1326942661_thumb.jpg

Rusty had taken a great pig with a pumpkin sized head with his grand sons by his side. Ages 7 and 4.

post-958-0-97349400-1326943036_thumb.jpg

The whole gang with the "HOGGENATOR"

post-958-0-90618200-1326943205_thumb.jpg

Rusty and i went out the next weekend and found a big herd with 12 - 15 pigs. We put a stalk on them and they started lining out so we gave calling a shot. It was getting dark so it was now or never. Well they came boiling in from about 200 yards out and I shot the first one on us. Unfortunately I don't have a 3 yard pin and the pig got between us and I made a bad shot when it was safe to shoot. I told Rusty "bad hit" as the pig tried to whirl Rusty said "I don't think so"

This is what he saw at impact.

post-958-0-91048200-1326943805_thumb.jpg

I was shooting 125 grain Swhackers and it blew through him after severing the spine. ( lots of energy at 9 feet ).

The exit was quite impressive.

post-958-0-78973400-1326944048_thumb.jpg

Mature pig.

post-958-0-15227300-1326944211_thumb.jpg

post-958-0-92990700-1326944386_thumb.jpg

I like to throw a half hitch over the top of the snout and behind the teeth and then tie it off to a short stick for the drag out. Keeps em off you, and works really good.

post-958-0-89579800-1326944492_thumb.jpg

Every year I see all these archery pigs being killed and I swear to myself Im gonna do it and I never do!

Congrats, sounds like a fun January!

Years ago we had a pig die in a cave. We took a shoelace and tied a knife with the hook blade on the end to a stick and stabbed the pig. We then twisted it a bit to hook the skin inside. We were able to drag him out in a similar manner as you did. It looks like you guys cleaned up on that herd. David

Nice job on those javelina. Sounds like you've got a couple of young future hunters on the hook. Way to go!

Couestracker

Congrats on the pigs!! Your story brings back old memories from when I was a kid. My father and my Uncles shot a pig and it did the same thing. However they did not come up with an invention as you did. As the youngest there they said it was my job to go get it. So at the ripe old age of 10 they sent me in with a rope to tie on the pig. They did not make me go unarmed though, they gave me an arrow to defend myself. After we got home and my mother found out what had happened I think they saw the error of their ways. I think that mom has forgave them now, but we still do not mention it just to be on the safe side.

I really enjoyed your story and could only wish I was there to witness the looks on Rusty's grandson's faces. I bet you don't get out next year without them. Awesome! Congratulations to you and Rusty. Nothing like an exciting hunt such as you both had. I bet them boys will be telling that story for decades around the campfires. How much you goin to sell them pig retrievers for? :lol:

TJ

Great story & pics! Like seeing the little ones gettin involved too!