Sign in to follow this  
Pixman

I found the Hybrids again...

post-4217-0-92221400-1327677240_thumb.jpgpost-4217-0-95379700-1327677253_thumb.jpgpost-4217-0-06912500-1327677270_thumb.jpgpost-4217-0-05954800-1327677326_thumb.jpgpost-4217-0-65759100-1327677348_thumb.jpg
  • Like 2

interesting...

very cool pics!

thanks for sharing!

james

curious to see what their antlers would look like

thanks for sharing

Well the coues buck was with the group a few weeks ago and the big muley doe has had a fawn the last 2 years, lets hope she has a buck this summer!

Pixman

I agree Pixman, very nice pictures!

Hey Slim! Check-out the rack on this little 3x3 muley that my son shot last October. He had a muley tag, and when we walked up to it after he downed it I had a quick moment of panic when I got a close-up of the rack. ;) Quick check of the tail confirmed he killed the correct species, but based on the deer's left side he clearly has some whitetail in him. It has the typical 'single beam' of a whitetail.

S.

:)

October2011MuleDeerHunt005.jpg

You'll see mule deer in the deserts west of Phx that have antlers that look whitetailish, been told they call them burro bucks, they'll have a mainbeam that wraps like a whitetail then the bifurcations on the points that come out of it. I'd lean towards them being hybrids except there aren't any whitetails around.

Yea, antlers grow funny sometimes..... That's for sure, Bill!

That little 3 point in the pic was shot down in 36A. The area of the unit we were in is particularly known for whitetails and muleys running around the same hiding places. I talked to Jim Heffelfinger (Mr. Mule Deer for AZ G&F) when I ran into him a couple of weeks later at the Youth Camp down there. He confirmed that there is cross breeding that goes on for sure. We didn't have much time to chat about it. I would be curious to know what genes dominate and which off-spring would take on what traits as a result.

Jim cruises these boards on occasion, so maybe he'll jump-in.

S.

did a little reading on it many years back, from what I remember it is a whitetail buck & mule deer doe, don't know why it wouldn't work the other way, maybe Amanda can shed some light on the subject, she's a lot smarter than I am.

Yea, antlers grow funny sometimes..... That's for sure, Bill!

That little 3 point in the pic was shot down in 36A. The area of the unit we were in is particularly known for whitetails and muleys running around the same hiding places. I talked to Jim Heffelfinger (Mr. Mule Deer for AZ G&F) when I ran into him a couple of weeks later at the Youth Camp down there. He confirmed that there is cross breeding that goes on for sure. We didn't have much time to chat about it. I would be curious to know what genes dominate and which off-spring would take on what traits as a result.

Jim cruises these boards on occasion, so maybe he'll jump-in.

S.

Here is a a good link to something Jim has to say on the subject.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/coues_biology/hybrids.htm