Sign in to follow this  
apache12

Best choice for hunting/field sidearm

Revolvers almost never fail, but in a life our death situation, only hold 6 rounds and take an eternity to reload.

I know I've already said it, but an xd-40 is hard to beat. I trust my life and my families lives with it as it is on my hip and next to the bed at all times.

I carry a hk at work and would put my xd before it in a lifer or death situation.

I have three favorites I alternate between.

1. Rossi 357 with a 4" barrel in stainless. Very accurate, 100% reliable and I shoot it well.

2. Glock G22 with both a 40 S&W and a 357 Sig Barrel, see above :)

3 Smith and Wesson Model 329 44 Magnum. Goes bang every time, very light (maybe too light), accuracy is average but acceptable. Go figure.

Never "HAD" to use any of them.

My S&W 686 4" (actually it belongs to my wife) or my Ruger Blackhawk 41 Mag. But as some people pointed out it doesn't reload fast. Sometimes the 1911.

On archery and rifle hunts I carry a 5 shot hammerless airweight .38. It's light, reliable and accurate enough with the handloads I developed for it. I guess if I was going to an area where I really expected trouble -like the west side of PHX :) - I'd take my 1911. If I could find a .22 MAG revolver that didn't cost an arm and a leg that would probably be my backcountry carry piece.

Sig P226, non railed model. 18+1 rounds of 147gr Gold Dots. Plenty of firepower for those two legged animal encounters.

I don't carry for bears, or really for 4 legged critters.... I mostly carry for the scum 2 legged critters that are looking for trouble whether that be drug mules or meth heads. Which ever, I have 13 rounds of 155 grain jhp's ready for then from my xd, and I can shoot that pistol.

Having carried several different pistols in the field while scouting/hunting/hiking over the past 16 years, I definitely throw my vote with glock/xd/m&p crowd. I've carried several revolvers (4" 629, 5.5" Redhawk, 4" GP100, etc.), but found none of them were as comfortable by day's end (or week's end) as my Glock 17 or Glock 20. Plus, as stated by others, reloads were easier to carry and use if needed. Further, as many folks have stated, in AZ your biggest potential threat by far is from 2-legged critters. To me, the newer style of stricker-fired semi-autos is better suited to this task.

Regardless of your choice in weapon (semi or revolver, caliber, etc.), I would suggest the following:

1.) Invest in a quality belt and quality holster from places like thewilderness (belts) and blade-tech or sidearmor (kydex holsters). Don't be the dumba** that spends hundreds on a handgun only to carry it in a cheap $20 holster/$5 belt, then complains because it's uncomfortable to carry. One of the biggest reasons we have handguns instead of rifles is because they're convient and comfortable to carry. Don't negate that advantage with cheap/crappy gear. As a bonus, many modern kydex holster makers (blade-tech being a good example) allow multiple attachment systems so they can go on your belt, pack belt, MOLLE attachments, whatever.

2.) Invest in some professional training. If you have a $1000 budget, spend $600 on a gun/holster/belt, then the other $400 on training (like a local 2-day course through Glendale Community College, as an example). Better yet, borrow a buddy's gun (in a model you're interested in) to take the class. Do that a couple of times with a couple different models, and you'll have a very good idea what you actually want to carry & use should you really have to use it. Plus, you'll have a better clue about what happens in a situation where you really have to use it...

3.) Practice with the weapon you decide on. A lot. Every time you think about buying a different gun, buy another 1K in ammo & use it up in the gun you have. Once you've put 5K or more through your gun, then figure out if you really want/need something else.

4.) Don't buy more gun than you can shoot. If you shoot better with a 9mm than a 40 or 45, buy it. Over the last 10 years especially, practical performance is virtually identical between these three common defensive rounds. That means the biggest factor will be how fast the user can employ his sidearm of choice accurately.

S&W 642. not heavy so you will actually take it with you. powerfull enough if you even use it. every one's choices are great, i'd love to have them! i just would not carry them during a hunt.

I carry a Ruger SP101 .357 in stainless, it gets the crap beat out of it and I really don't have to worry about function problems. I attach it to my pack belt so it is more comfortable for long periods of time. I have been considering a XD in .40 subcompact but just haven't made it happen yet.

When I trail run or mountain bike I carry a Smith & Wesson Airweight in a fanny pack.

I carry a Ruger SP101 .357 in stainless, it gets the crap beat out of it and I really don't have to worry about function problems. I attach it to my pack belt so it is more comfortable for long periods of time. I have been considering a XD in .40 subcompact but just haven't made it happen yet.

When I trail run or mountain bike I carry a Smith & Wesson Airweight in a fanny pack.

Brian, I can find you a XD really cheap, if'n you decide you want one :P

Glock 23 with a 357 Sig barrel or a Glock 36.

I carry a Springfield XD 45 acp. I find it very accurate and reliable. I like the extra power provided by the 45 matched with Federal's Hydra-Shok personal defense round.

But a large caliber isn't for everyone. One might be much better off with a smaller caliber if they feel more comfortable and are more accurate with it. Just like in hunting, a large bullet won't make up for poor shot placement.