standman

San Carlos Lake 2-11-2012

My dad and I hit SC Lake for the for the first time this year. Lake is low. Looks like the end of the lake is just past Jackrabbit Cove. We launched at Soda Canyon, but not on the main ramp. Had to launch off of the point. Launching was easy. We got on the water at 9 am. Water Temps ranged from 52-56 degrees. Slight breeze at times but for the most part a really nice day.

Fishing was a little slow for us today. We ended up catching 10 crappie and one catfish. All crappie were caught on minnows in 17-20 feet of water, fishing 5-10 feet down. It was good to get back out on the water and catch a few fish.

Brian

post-102-0-19091600-1329006391_thumb.jpg

post-102-0-89478600-1329006435_thumb.jpg

post-102-0-78748500-1329006558_thumb.jpg

post-102-0-62154500-1329006607_thumb.jpg

Hey Brian, thanks for the update. Fishing slabs on the 'carlos has been part of my life since way back. The past few years, it's gotten harder and harder to fight the rising and falling lake levels. The fish just can't reproduce. This year a lot of big, older females will be caught, but I just don't think they'll be able to overcome the poor management.

It's really sad to me, to see this lake so poorly managed. San Carlos is (or was???) the best fishery in the state, and one of the best in the South West. With decent management, it would continue to be the jewell of the desert. But unfortunately, I don't think the politics involved will do what needs to be done to preserve and protect it.

• Like 1

Coach you are right that lake always had so much potential I have had some of my best experiences there

My best fishing has always been at San Carlos. I fish fron shore (no boat), soI have to be there at the right time when they are shallow. I have not been back since they had the gang scare years back.