Sign in to follow this  
AzHuntingAddict

First Javelina

I picked up a left over HAM tag for unit 37A and set out to get my first javelina. While scouting I was able to find a decent sized herd close to home. One night after work I drove out to the spot and was walking around looking for sign when I came up on them. I knelt down so they wouldn’t see me, but one got a good look at me and started to woof. Maybe this was a dumb idea, but I started to chew really loud like my brother in-law does when he eats. Two boars from the group started my way to check out what they were missing. I got a little nervous and started to back out. Walking out I looked back to see one of the boars 15 feet behind me......wow he is big. I was stoked to have been that close and then reality hit, I still have 3 days till opening day.

How many Javelinas do you see in this pic?

0207121747a.jpg

Opening day arrives and I find myself walking into the area, just to see 5 other vehicles parked where I was going to park. The heart sank a little with that view of others getting ready to hunt the area. I went in anyways and ran into a few other hunters along the way. I started to get away from the group and spent the morning tracking down the herd. By late afternoon it got hot and I was done. Disappointment set in big time as I walked back to my jeep. I was confident I would get on the herd as I just saw them the other day. Friday was a bust.

Saturday I set out to the same spot a little earlier hoping to beat the others hunting the same area. I was surprised to see I was the only one there for the day. I walked along the grass/ tree line looking for fresh tracks. 20 minutes passed by and I looked behind me down the drainage and saw three fuzzy dark spots, and they started to move….PIGS!!! They must have winded me as they took off like a dirty pair of undies. I didn’t see them for the rest of the morning. I decided to get a nap in and let them do the same as it was getting warm again.

Mid afternoon I got back into the area and decided I would sit in some cover near where I saw the javelina come out of the tall grass. I was sitting for about 45 minutes when I heard some rustling from the grass. A twig broke and all of sudden the group jumped from the grass line. First thought was, dang these things stink! Then the pounding in my chest brought me back. A boar in sight and ready to drop, one of the others looks my way. Don’t run; don’t run I say to myself. Then they start to feed, sweeeet. I pick one out and squeeze the trigger. The pig drops as a 9mm speer hollow point enters the chest just in front of me. The others scatter in warp speed fashion. I just took my first javelina, and took him with a 9mm pistol! Now I understood how the bow hunters feel when hunting with a bow, being that close to seal the deal. After getting the pig out and blowing my shoulder out (torn rotary cuff), I realized this was a big pig. These are amazing little animals, but a pain in the arse to drag out.

My first Javelina.

jamesandpig-1.jpg

This guy was a fighter, check out the face scar.

scar.jpg

Congrats, they are a lot of fun to hunt close up as you discovered. Lip smacking and soft grunts can help out if they get nervous...

Nice work and with a pistol none the less. Way to not get discouraged and keep on it. It's good to hear there are Javelina in 37A. I've been out scouting there a handful of times for my upcoming rifle hunt and have yet to spot any.