db cooper

Weird deaths!

Saw a redtail hawk pick up a football sized javelina and take it 50+ feet in the air and drop it.

• Like 1

I think it was 1988, and a friend and I were hunting deer in unit 31. We hiked out of camp the first morning and started going up a dry creek bed in the canyon we were camped in. We could smell something awful up ahead, and we came across a dead cinnamon colored black bear laying in creek bottom. My buddy wanted to salvage the skull. I told him I didn't think it would be legal, and the stench was so bad you had to hold your breath just to get close. It was nasty.

I found a G&F warden the next day and told him about our find. He said he already knew about it, and thinks that someone may have shot it ilegally.

This last summer when I was up in Montana. I was driving down the country highway next to Hebgen lake, and I saw a nice trout fall out of the sky and go sliding across the road. I looked up and saw 2 eagles that must have been fighting over that fish, and one of them dropped it.

Few years back we were heading down a road while archery deer hunting. We came around a corner and saw a large bobcat fighting with atleast a 4' rattler. The rattler was striking at the bobcat and the bobcat was swatting at it. We watched it until the bobcat had enough and started walking away

20 plus Years ago I was hunting in aravipa canyon and watched a 2 point coues deer jump off a 100' cliff after my dad shot him. When we got down to the bottom the buck jumped up and took off running before he was finished off. Couessniper was actually a witness to that.

My coolest is a couple of years ago I had just gotten back to the house from running the kids to school and was heading to work. My wife and I are standing in the living room when, we hear this screaming outside and I look out just in time to see these two mule deer fawns go running by. I'm thinking what goofy deer, didn't make any sense why they were playing like that. Then 8 or 10 does go running by and it clicks. That wasn't a fawn it was a coyote holding onto a fawn. Run upstairs grab a rifle and head out the door. I get around the brush, a fawn is just bawling down in the creek. Like nothing I had ever heard, varmit calling on steroids. I'm heading that way when the does chase a coyote right in front of me. I pull up the 22-250 and let one go. He's runnnin, I'm shootin offhand and hit him in backend somewhere and he goes to spinning. I try to put another one in him but before I can all the does run up and just start stomping him into the ground. I couldn't believe my eyes, so crazy! One of the coolest things I have ever seen in the wild/backyard! The coyote finally somehow manages to get to his feet and the he takes off. The does just stand there watch me go right by them to look for the fawn. We found it down by the creek alive and well and just hearded it towards momma...We trailed the coyote but never found him. Between those muley does and 57 gr of pain and misery I'm sure he wished his last day on earth he had just walked by that fawn instead.. Good thread

• Like 2

2009 I was drawn for the early rifle bull tag in 22n. Scouting one day and glassing down into the unit from myrtle point (on the rim) around 9:00am, I have a bachelor heard of bulls in my 15's. One big 5X5, another 5X1 (and that 1 was around 42" long), a few small spikes and forks, and a very small 6X6.

The bulls are just feeding and I'm waiting to see if I can guess where they are going to bed down. The small 6X6 is just hangin with the others and, wham, drops dead where it was standing. I thought maybe I had just witnessed someone with a bow poach it - called game thief and tried to give directions to the warden up there but he could not find it as it was a good ways off the Highline trail and I was guessing its exact location from on top of the rim.

Hike in the following weekend so I can give the warden exact GPS coordinates. Just a warning - bears will hang out on a stinky elk carcass and wallow around in that filth for quite a while. I learned this at about 10 feet when, to my surprise, a large shiny black stump decided to charge me from the thick brush.

Exciting stuff out there in those woods.

• Like 1

Great thread.

I was hunting down in S Az. and hiking down a glassing ridge when as I stepped, a small field mouse made it right under my boot.

I tried to alleviate any weight transfer to that foot, but to no avail. I felt bad the whole trip down.

• Like 2

In a couple years we'll all remember back in 2012 when the azsfw committed suicide. Lark.

Kinda like this turkey? :)

Bill Quimby

He's going to start cursing here shortly if he can't figure this picture posting thing out.

Then we'll all be proud you drug him down to our level! LOL!

• Like 1

My Dad was a rancher in the the Wickenburg area, some of my fondest memories with him are sitting with him at the corrals in the summer watching his catle come to water. One hot summer morning we see this cow coming in from a couple hundred yards and it looks like she has a huge tumor on the side of her face. We let her walk into the corral and close the gate behind her and herd her into the squeeze chute, it wasn't a tumor, it was a dried up shell of a gila monster that had locked onto the side of her face. Thats the craziest thing I ever saw.

This might be a little off topic. But in 2005, I was elk hunting up in unit 27. My Dad and I took a drive down the little dirt road from the Sheep Saddle campground. At the end of the road was a Wolf holding enclosure. There was a small trolley cart that suspended on a cable avove the pen where they would put parts of the carcasses in and dump into the pen to feed the wolves. There was all kinds of bones, and skulls, lying everywhere. Inside the cage and out. Cattle bones and skulls and other types of animals? It had kind of a weird feeling about it.

"Kinda" as a contraction of "kind of" is a valid word according to the dictionary software on my Mac. It supposedly originated in the early 20th century as an American aliteration. I'm guessing it began in southeast Arizona with someone named Lark and quickly spread around the globe.

As for posting photos, I give up. Would someone post it for me if I email it to you?

Bill Quimby

In the late 90's I went on a ride along with the G&F in Yuma. We were mesuaring the water level in some sheep water holes. One was just a large pot hole with steep sides. We pulled a drowned Ewe out of it. On another ride along we pulled up to a catchemnt and there was a fresh muley doe that was killed by a lion and drgged under the awning. The blood was still coming from the punctures on its neck.

Bill wrote 'kinda'. I am so proud to have finally drug him down. :). Lark.

But he made the little k a BIG K.