TwoGuns

amazing elk horns

Another illegal pick-up of antlers! Only sheds are legal to pick up!

Some animals shed there whole head, and I think its legal to pick them up :)

You are legally allowed to pick up skulls with antlers in Arizona and other states as long as it has started to decompose.

Does anyone know how i can get in contact with Jackie? We are in the process of putting the Arizona Wildlife Trophy award banquet together and i would really like for her to let us display her mount.

Please let me know if any of you can help me here.

Born2 - so then the G & F confiscated that find and fined the lady that found it and took it out of the field? I am sure they found out about what she found and if was illegal they would have persued it, it not than it must not have been illegal. CB

Something must of been legal or she should of been in the same boat as muley. 12G's OUCH!

Younghunter, I would watch yourself on picking up dead heads. Take a look a the hunting arizona forum and click on the topic dead heads. It cost this guy 3 felonies, in the tens of thousand of dollars, and his job. He was not suspected of poaching anything, just picking up a deadhead.

Hope you dont end up in trouble.

younghunter,

I'd be careful!!

If you run into the wrong officer with a chip on the shoulder and wanting some brownie pts, they will haunt you, trust me I know from experience, although if you take it to court and win, which you would if it is a find,

I'd gladly pay you a few grand!! Because I would get backpaid for my battle.

When I lived in Flag a two buddies of mine were scouting and found a dead 6x 6, so they cut off its head and got back to the truck and B. Barsh, a real wonderful piece of arizona wildlife manager, comes walking up and starts talking to them and tells them what a nice rack, so they take him back to where they found the elk and he agrees that it was killed while sparring in the rut, and he likes those two guys so much that he writes them both tickets for 800 bucks and confiscates the rack. So they go to court as we were all dirt poor college students at NAU, well they get off on the charges, but never get the rack back, oh yeah a year to the day later, the above mentioned great guy gave me and another buddy tickets for shooting to close to a house( one of the ticketed guys above was also with us) He walks up and says, allright, I dont know which of you guys was shooting but I saw 2 guns discharge so I am giving 2 tickets to you, so who wants them. I kid you not those were his exact words, so I take one of the tickets as I feel sorry for my buddy who is just a year our from being hammered by this worthless piece of flesh, as I think we can beat the charges. So court date arrives and we are handed offcer barsh's deposition which states that he saw us shoot from his truck(lies as he was on foot 400 yards from his truck which was parked by the nearest house), and that he visualized us shooting, and that we became belligerent and hostile when he approached us. Yeah after he stepped off the distance from where we shot to the road and not the nearest occupied residence, so to make a long story short, we had no sympathy from the judge and I did not get to buy a CO. deer tag that year as I got to make a donation to the state. Oh yeah and 1 criminal point on my record. So the moral of the story, dont pick up fresh racks and dont expect them to give your racks back if they are confiscated and you are found innocent. Oh yeah and guess who moved to Silver City(my home) a few years ago after retirement, You guessed it Officer Bob Barsh. yee flipping haw!! :lol:

AG

I wouldn't never think about takin a rack that had to be cut off. That could cause a whole bunch of trouble. But when a guy finds a rack that has been bleached from the sun, Then I will pick it up and take it home. :lol:

i'll make a prediction. it won't be long till you have to buy a shed hunting license. or have to pay so much a pound for the sheds you do find. in some way the azgfd will find a way to make a buck off it. guaranteed. this deadhead crap is just that too, crap. one warden doesn't care. another one cites folks for felonies that don't exist on the books. and then they want folks to "cooperate" with em? wierd. Lark.

When I lived in Flag a two buddies of mine were scouting and found a dead 6x 6, so they cut off its head and got back to the truck and B. Barsh, a real wonderful piece of arizona wildlife manager, comes walking up and starts talking to them and tells them what a nice rack, so they take him back to where they found the elk and he agrees that it was killed while sparring in the rut, and he likes those two guys so much that he writes them both tickets for 800 bucks and confiscates the rack. So they go to court as we were all dirt poor college students at NAU, well they get off on the charges, but never get the rack back, oh yeah a year to the day later, the above mentioned great guy gave me and another buddy tickets for shooting to close to a house( one of the ticketed guys above was also with us) He walks up and says, allright, I dont know which of you guys was shooting but I saw 2 guns discharge so I am giving 2 tickets to you, so who wants them. I kid you not those were his exact words, so I take one of the tickets as I feel sorry for my buddy who is just a year our from being hammered by this worthless piece of flesh, as I think we can beat the charges. So court date arrives and we are handed offcer barsh's deposition which states that he saw us shoot from his truck(lies as he was on foot 400 yards from his truck which was parked by the nearest house), and that he visualized us shooting, and that we became belligerent and hostile when he approached us. Yeah after he stepped off the distance from where we shot to the road and not the nearest occupied residence, so to make a long story short, we had no sympathy from the judge and I did not get to buy a CO. deer tag that year as I got to make a donation to the state. Oh yeah and 1 criminal point on my record. So the moral of the story, dont pick up fresh racks and dont expect them to give your racks back if they are confiscated and you are found innocent. Oh yeah and guess who moved to Silver City(my home) a few years ago after retirement, You guessed it Officer Bob Barsh. yee flipping haw!! :lol:

AG

Sorry to hear about your incidents there, I never met him but he had come into my camp a few years ago and scored some bulls we had for some survey they were doing. He over scored one of my clients bulls and had him all excited by the time I got back. The clients bull net scored 377" and this guy told him we scored it wrong and it was a 390" bull. It was a big bull regardless but my client questioned MY abilities and was set up for a let down when he found out I scored it right to begin with. It was nothing major, BUT I didn't appreciate it. I DO think he was a better WM than his replacement!!!!!! She is gone now but not before telling every tag holder for several years, exactly where my spots were at in that unit!!! She had no regard for overcrowding one location with hunters. Every single hunter that called her asking where to hunt was told exactly the same spots. I know this because I talked to alot of them as I bumped into them and they all said the same thing. She told them where to hunt and CAMP! What once used to have just a few camps and hunters now looks like a small city at night during the elk hunts. I don't own any of my spots, but it just happened to be my spots she told everyone about, and I think it was wrong to tell everyone to hunt the same spot. I'm sorry for carryin' on, it still gets me fired up, oh well. Thanks, JIM.

Maybe someone can clear this up for me, but I'm confused. New Mexico clearly spells out its laws WRT picking up any horns attached to a skull. I've NEVER seen any mention of this in the AZ regs. Is it or is it not against the law to pick up and keep a skull with horns attached in AZ?

The way it was explained to me by Officer Phoenix of the AZGFD was that any dead animal that has been found first needs to be reported. An officer will come out and decide how it died. If it was a natural death the head should be yours if you want it, but if has been shot it belongs to the state. He said the reason was that a few years back a bunch of large bulls were turning up dead, and a small group of guys always seemed to be the ones who would find them. Coincidence? Maye, but they also could have been shooting these bulls to come back later and score their "dead head" racks. The reason I know this is because we found a dead bull, and on the way back to camp to get a saw I ran into Officer Phoenix who filled me in on the rules. He then hiked back out with me to the bull, and decided that it had been hit by a vehicle because of the way the skin had started to shrink from it not eating. He then cut the head off for us, and hiked it back to camp for us. His reason was that it was still opening day, and much to early to make a return hike back to camp. Once he got it back to camp he gave us his card with a note on the back that the animal had been checked out, and was legal for us to keep. He was actually a really nice guy, and has been each time I have ran into him since.

The way it was explained to me by Officer Phoenix of the AZGFD was that any dead animal that has been found first needs to be reported. An officer will come out and decide how it died. If it was a natural death the head should be yours if you want it, but if has been shot it belongs to the state. He said the reason was that a few years back a bunch of large bulls were turning up dead, and a small group of guys always seemed to be the ones who would find them. Coincidence? Maye, but they also could have been shooting these bulls to come back later and score their "dead head" racks. The reason I know this is because we found a dead bull, and on the way back to camp to get a saw I ran into Officer Phoenix who filled me in on the rules. He then hiked back out with me to the bull, and decided that it had been hit by a vehicle because of the way the skin had started to shrink from it not eating. He then cut the head off for us, and hiked it back to camp for us. His reason was that it was still opening day, and much to early to make a return hike back to camp. Once he got it back to camp he gave us his card with a note on the back that the animal had been checked out, and was legal for us to keep. He was actually a really nice guy, and has been each time I have ran into him since.

Thats it exactly. Its in the regs. Call GF and they determain cause of death (or lack of foul play) and you can then claim it.