Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Welker

Naval Air Facility El Centro

I had the great privilege to be invited join a small group photographing a Blue Angel practice session and naval aviation action at NAF El Centro. Unfortunately, it was a rainy day and the photography was challenging. Nevertheless, we had a great time and got a few keepers. Here are some photos from the days activities.

Early morning practice begins with four ship launch.

6936436777_9fd40d472f_b.jpg

Opposing solo #6 launching for morning practice.

6898347381_ca32cd8804_b.jpg

Storm approaching while the opposing solos climb for the sky.

6909093393_fe7feab48f_b.jpg

VFA-122 Flying Eagles Super Hornet launching for afternoon practice on the range.

6789624296_acbac38785_b.jpg

CoNA Legacy Hornet practicing carrier landings.

6893304005_6b4676cc5d_b.jpg

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. It is a tremendous experience to be so close to these aircraft during flight operations. On more than one occasion, I had an F/18 Super Hornet launch with full afterburner within 20 yards of me. The pressure change and AB blast was so significant that it was often difficult to maintain a solid position from which to photograph. These planes are unbelievable. I'd hate to be a bad guy and have one of these headed my way.

Here are a couple of my black & white conversions and some other aircraft.

6956438871_8cbcde93f9_b.jpg

6927832151_ba2810f580_b.jpg

6793319787_7c0f7b25da_b.jpg

6358826515_25ce863efe_b.jpg

Those are some of the coolest photos I have ever seen!! And I am not even into planes that much, but those are just GREAT images. Congratulations on your talent Jeff!!

that black and white Navy plane looks like it should be a recruitment poster!

Great photo's.

As a kid I lived in Indian Springs Nv, the T-Birds were stationed there and we got to watch them practice all the time. This was in the late 60's, the planes were a lot different from the ones they have now. Used to pick up parts from crashes, spent dummy rounds, all sorts of stuff we should have left alone.