Sign in to follow this  
Willyhunts2

Stupid question?

I've had my muzzy for a few years now and shoot it every time we go out to shoot the rifles. I've heard that while hunting you shoot it at end of day and reload next morning from a few people. I don't understand that at all. So my question is, is that really true?

Ya my muzzy hasn't shot any diff in different weather but have heard it from 3 people. Then I was thinking maybe it's more of a black powder vs. Pellets type deal but I don't know. I figure its like putting a round in your rifle as long as it dosnt get wet.

It comes from having THE SHOT and it not firing because the powder is wet. I do not fire it I just open it up and reload in the am. It only has to happen to you once and you will do it for EVER!

:ph34r:

This concept is more used on 'traditional' muzzleloaders such as flintlocks or sidehammers. May not necessarily be true for 'new' inline muzzleloaders that are sealed better. As stated above guns with removable breaches may be able to be unloaded at night and re loaded where with older guns using a ball puller is about you only option to 'unload'. Sometimes just shooting it each night is easier.

I use Blackhorn 209 powder and have never experienced a problem. I do agree that black powder does attract moisture so you need to pay attention to humidity. The new black powder substitutes don't seem to attract moisture in the same manner. I place a piece of black electric tape over the end of my rifle or muzzle loader barrel while in the field. I do this just to keep twigs, rain, snow or other garbage out of the bore. It also precludes any snow or mud if you have a fall and accidentally jam the barrel down. I've never had this misfortune but one of my hunting partners tripped and fell a few years ago and ended up with mud in his rifle barrel.

I use Blackhorn 209 powder and have never experienced a problem. I do agree that black powder does attract moisture so you need to pay attention to humidity. The new black powder substitutes don't seem to attract moisture in the same manner. I place a piece of black electric tape over the end of my rifle or muzzle loader barrel while in the field. I do this just to keep twigs, rain, snow or other garbage out of the bore. It also precludes any snow or mud if you have a fall and accidentally jam the barrel down. I've never had this misfortune but one of my hunting partners tripped and fell a few years ago and ended up with mud in his rifle barrel.

Blackhorn won't attract moisture as it is oil soluble. Pyrodex and Triple seven WILL attract moisture and should never be used. They like to tote their simple "water cleanup" but that means it is water soluble and will absorb water when sitting around. This makes the powder very unrelialbe. It'll almost alway blow up, but to what extent is the key to accuracy. I use Blackhorn 209 for everything now, will not touch another BP substitute. It's oil soluble so you just use Hoppes #9 and it cleans like a breeze.

I think that idea was from a while back when most of us used patched balls etc. The patch lube had some moisture in it and the thought was that if left for extended time it may wet the blackpowder enough to misfire. I always fired mine every night to make sure it was not a problem and that it would go boom the next day. Now with sabots etc there is not much moisture introduced unless high humidity or rainy weather etc. Now I leave it loaded from the beginning of the hunt until fired at my target/animal. Good luck.

I'll add with my Kentucky clone in .45 with "real" blackpowder the January pig hunts have toyed with my rifle more than once. It seems that the chance of a hot day (or even a hot trailer), paired with a super cold night/morning always seems to produce a breakdown of the powder. For me, its always been easier to just fire the gun off at dark. Because of this too, I leave all my equipment inside a vehicle with the windows cracked, run a dry patch trough it, and snap a cap before loading. Kind of a pain in the butt, but its what I choose to use ever year and my inline has about three shots through it in the last six or so years and one trip to the range!

We came to this conclusion after an early morning shot, and the loud *pop* of an over sized musket cap (along with some choice words). With a few more caps with no ignition of the main charge, I had to crush black powder even more, and drizzle it into the nipple and directly under the nipple. Even with this it took two or three times to actually to get the round to fire. This, sadly, happened on more than occasion with this gun; I guess I don't always learn!

Now my dads inline, that gun gets loaded on Friday morning, and unloaded Sunday night if he doesn't get a shot sooner, and has never had a problem! He uses pyrodex and a greased sabot.

It really depends on whether or not you feel confident about it. Using pellets and a rifle that has a QRBP theres an easy way to unload without firing it. But, if you suspect even in the slightest that you mught have gotten moisture- shoot it and clean it. Temperature swings overnight can cause some issues if you're not careful.

I think that idea was from a while back when most of us used patched balls etc. The patch lube had some moisture in it and the thought was that if left for extended time it may wet the blackpowder enough to misfire. I always fired mine every night to make sure it was not a problem and that it would go boom the next day. Now with sabots etc there is not much moisture introduced unless high humidity or rainy weather etc. Now I leave it loaded from the beginning of the hunt until fired at my target/animal. Good luck.

I think this is spot on. Old school problem and the habit is just continued. Mine stays loaded and have never had an issue.