Sign in to follow this  
rivernut

Considering purchasing my first deer rifle.

I have been reading lots of reviews on the new Ruger American Rifle/30.06 for my first deer rifle. One of the main reasons this rifle appeals to me is the weight, due to a skiing shoulder injury several years ago. I don't mind the feel of the synthetic stock. I can probably put a nice Redhead (3x9x40)scope on it and be out the door for under $600.00. Have any members looked at this rifle or perhaps even tested one? Just looking for some comments from some deer experts. No, I don't think I'm looking for a rifle i will be taking those 500-800 yard shots with.

http://ruger.com/products/americanRifle/models.html

I'm new to this forum and just started my big game hunting this last season, Although I started pheasant/quail hunting 50 years ago and own several shotguns. I have never owned a rifle. Took my first Javelina last month with my Ruger SR40c handgun @ 10 yards.

I have been reading lots of reviews on the new Ruger American Rifle/30.06 for my first deer rifle. One of the main reasons this rifle appeals to me is the weight, due to a skiing shoulder injury several years ago. I don't mind the feel of the synthetic stock. I can probably put a nice Redhead (3x9x40)scope on it and be out the door for under $600.00. Have any members looked at this rifle or perhaps even tested one? Just looking for some comments from some deer experts. No, I don't think I'm looking for a rifle i will be taking those 500-800 yard shots with.

http://ruger.com/products/americanRifle/models.html

I'm new to this forum and just started my big game hunting this last season, Although I started pheasant/quail hunting 50 years ago and own several shotguns. I have never owned a rifle. Took my first Javelina last month with my Ruger SR40c handgun @ 10 yards.

A 30.06 is a good gun, but a little much for the smaller coues deer. I killed my first deer this last year with a 150 gr. 30.06 round and it cleaned the deer for me (150 yard shot). Looking back, it was a bit to big. You may consider the .270 Win. for a good deer rifle. Kinda close to the 30.06 in case size, but less in kick.

I also took my first javi this last HAM hunt with a pistol, springfield XD 9mm and also around 10 yards. Now that is a blast!

Guest akaspecials

There is nothing wrong with a 30-06. IMHO, the 30-06 is one of the best all purpose rounds. You can use it for any large game in Arizona (just know you may lose some meat if you hit the shoulder bones). Furthermore, you can find the ammo anywhere! As for the Ruger, I have not shot that one, I'm a big fan of the Remington 700 though. In my experience though, any rifle chambered in 30-06 will shoot decent to 300 yards. Normally the operator is limiting factor...

http://ruger.com/pro...fle/models.html

A 30.06 is a good gun, but a little much for the smaller coues deer. I killed my first deer this last year with a 150 gr. 30.06 round and it cleaned the deer for me (150 yard shot). Looking back, it was a bit to big. You may consider the .270 Win. for a good deer rifle. Kinda close to the 30.06 in case size, but less in kick.

I also took my first javi this last HAM hunt with a pistol, springfield XD 9mm and also around 10 yards. Now that is a blast!

I would stay with the 30-06 but drop to the 130 gr. My family has taken dozens of coues, mulies and elk with that round. You have versatility with that caliber, you just need to pick who makes it. A winchester pre-64 actioned rifle is a good medium range gun as well as the newer savage arms line. Having said this I am biased to the Springfield 03-A3 that my dad has, built as a military snipper rifle it will drive tacks at 500 yrds.

The Ruger is a fine rifle and the 06 is a perfect caliber and the king of versatility. Use a quality bullet like the Nosler Partition and regardless if it is a 130gr or a 180gr you won't turn the deer inside out. I shot my first Coues with a 120gr Barnes X bullet from a 7mm Mag at 200 yds. Pencil hole in, pencil hole out. The shot was from a 30* angle adn went in through the backstrap and out the chest.

One thing you might want to consider is getting a rifle that weighs a pound more as recoil is all about physics and a heavier rifle will not move rearward as fast as a lighter one will.

The 308 will do everything the 06 will do with a tiny bit less recoil.You won't notice any difference in recoil in a 150gr bullet between the 270 adn 06. The 243 is fine out to 300 yards and has a very light recoil. I have used it for Javelina with 55gr bullets and wouldn't thnk twice about using it for Coues out to 300 yards or Mule Deer either for that matter with 100gr bullets.

Another one to look torward is Tikka which comes with scope rings. I have one in 308 adn 06. Fine rifles.

First of all..I am DEFINITELY no expert, but here's my two cents worth.

My son recently bought his first rifle: A Weatherby Vanguard 2 (chambered in .243) with a Vortex Crossfire 3x9-40 scope. This gun is amazingly accurate for the price: $468 for the gun, and $100 for the scope.

I just got a profit sharing check, and will be purchasing my first deer/elk rifle as well. I am so impressed with the performance and feel of the Weatherby/Vortex combo, that I will be buying the Weatherby Vanguared 2 + and upgraded Vortex Diamondback 4x12-40 scope chambered in 30.06. I should be able to get into this rig for around $700.

I drove everyone on this forum nuts in soliciting input on a best all-around rifle, and I settled on the 30.06 as well.

Good Luck!

If you can find an older Remington, 721 let's say in 270, you're set. They were produced as a cheaper alternative to the 700 back in the day. When Remington figured out they out shoot the more expensive 700s, they quit making them. I gabber one snag lover it.

If you can find an older Remington, 721 let's say in 270, you're set. They were produced as a cheaper alternative to the 700 back in the day. When Remington figured out they out shoot the more expensive 700s, they quit making them. I gabber one snag lover it.

Those old 721s are rising in price. You can actually find 700 ADLs cheaper. Both are good, though, especially in .270!

You see, your gonna get a debate on the round you should go with. My advice, get together with some folks who own the guns you might be interested in and get out and shoot them. You will have a great chance to feel how it shoots before you buy one, and heck, you get to do some shooting! Good Luck!

+1 On the Weatherby Vanguard. I have one in 30.06 and love that gun. I got mine at Walmart for $399 on sale. I did get an aftermarket stock and switch it to a magazine load gun. Put a Timney trigger on it also. That gun was way under MOA right out of the box, and with a middle of the road Nikon scope, and the trigger, it has done me well with everything I have shot at. I use good quality ammo for hunting, and remington core-loks for shooting at the range. (nothing bad against corelok, I shoot that exclusively in my .243)

get what feels good to you, and your budget.

I love my Rem 700 xcr in. 270. I bought it off a gunbroker site from a guy in the west valley for $650, virtually new. It shoots the cheaper core lokt 130gr very well. Not much kick even with the synthetic stock.....you can shoot it all day. I recommend a decent scope, variable to at least 12x. It is a big difference over 9x. I bought a Burris fullfield II 4.5 - 14x for $260 off a website store. Normal retail at that time was $400. I really like the ballistic-plex reticle. It works well for that setup. If you are patient, you can find good deals on this site and others.

Casey, what the he ll is that last sentence about? You need to get back to the banjo.

Ruger has always built good rifles. Never had a problem with one. The '06 is good for anything. So is the .270. Same case, different bullets. Good luck. Lark.

Just bought my Weatherby Vanguard 2 (.30-06) with a Vortex Diamondback 4x12-40 BDC at Sportman's Warehouse yesterday. Can't wait to take it on it's maiden voyage.

Got out the door for $710, thanks to the coupons in the AZGFD regs booklet.

if you are going to hunt coues- they are small and challenging target. the shots offered are usually quite long. get a weatherby MOA. or a rem heavy barrel.