SilentButDeadly

Merriam's elk in New Mexico

I will post a pic when go to his house. Its not BS. Not lookin for attention. Just thought  I'd throw that out there. Not a lot people know the little things that happen to normal hunters. Ill post a pic later. 

• Like 2

On 4/1/2015 at 8:52 PM, azbackwoods said:

They both did not make it to their resting places because one set of the antlers remains in the hands of my brother in

Springerville Az.

I take it its the shed horns you're holding in your avi....  holy ish talk about some mass

So here's a normal elk and the other one. You see the differences. Like I said not looking for attention just thought I'd throw it out there. Sorry the ol man has some vine wrapped around the whole room.

20201003_083739.jpg

20201003_083758.jpg

20201003_083747.jpg

Its not just the rack. The shape of its head is different, its color is different. It was a huge elk. Look im not trying to prove anything, im just relaying what we were told. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AzLoki said:

Its not just the rack. The shape of its head is different, its color is different. It was a huge elk. Look im not trying to prove anything, im just relaying what we were told. 

Good info and thanks for sharing. Some are just stuck in their old ways/thoughts 

Unfortunately in the 90's we didn't have a cellphone and didn't have any pics. I was told the game and fish asked my dad where we got him and I believe they took the bottom jaw (something to do with the teeth). The game and fish officer said he believed it to be a Merriams and thats how we even learned about that species and that they were supposed to be wiped out. It was all new to us.

What bull is the supposed merriam’s? They both look the same

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AzLoki said:

So here's a normal elk and the other one. You see the differences. Like I said not looking for attention just thought I'd throw it out there. Sorry the ol man has some vine wrapped around the whole room.

20201003_083739.jpg

20201003_083758.jpg

20201003_083747.jpg

Which one is which ?

The top 2 are the elk that we were told is a merriam. The bottom is a regular elk. I guess the pics didn't work but the face is much wider and coat is lighter on the head. 

I was told the elk hanging at the r-c in Christopher creek is a merriams, but it’s just hearsay.