Sign in to follow this  
rivernut

My Handgun Javelina hunt...

IMGP0284.jpg

IMGP0292.jpg

This was my first successful hunt in 6 years of trying with a handgun. I used my chritmas present, a new Ruger SR40c. First morning out I picked out a spot infront of a big bush and tree not far from a well used game trail that I had been told should be rewarding. After only a 1/2 hour of relaxing thoughts while sitting in the blind I started hearing a rustle not far away. Moments later about 8 Javi's came into the opening and I had one give me a great profile. Gave him the old double tap, he managed to run about 20 yards where he dropped. Taking down a 30-35 pound male at 10 yards with a 40 cal. handgun is just a whole bunch of fun and so self rewarding. Unfortunately for my friend, who had set up just out of view and range, went home empty handed as the herd broke and run the other way from him.

Hopefully I will be getting a phone call in about 2 weeks to pick-up my Italian Suasage after processing.

Maybe I will also be rewarded this fall with my first Coues deer.

That's very cool! What ammo did you use out of the 40? I thought heavily about using my XD, and given the chance on a close range I would have. That has to be an awesome rush for sure!

I hope your itailion sausage javelina turns out good. Congratulations on your pig and I also hope next year brings you your first coues deer. Thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

Congrats on a successful hunt. Nice Christmas present.

I had some bulk SPEER/180 grain hollow points on hand for ammo. Not sure what would be the best ammo for this application, but hey I gotter done. I'm sure any good home defense load would be appropriate also. As I said this was a average size pig @ 30-35 #'s. I'm just not sure how much processed meat I will end up with. My processor wrote in 30 #'s on my paper work.

Great job! I have a 40 cal with a 4 inch barrel that I take on the HAM hunt but I never get close enough to use it. I dont shoot that good with it!