Sign in to follow this  
mikaele

ADA and Gilstrap

I will have to renew my membership I think, but I think I will have to go to that meeting and I would hope there will be a lot of members there. I am back in az full time now and will be able to attend a few more meetings I hope.

I hate that the azsfw is dragging this out and dragging sportsmen, and the groups that support them and wildlife through the mud as well.

• Like 2

Amanda,

How does the process work with the ADA in situations like this? Do the members have a say in the position that the ADA takes? I assume they get member feed back from this questionaire but are the result available for members to see? Does the board overrule the members oppinions? This senario represents a big problem for hunters.....support the organizatons that support wildlife BUT may not represent your views (after all people in power can do whatever they want despite the people that put them there). OR CAN THEY?

• Like 1

Guest 300ultramag.

If I am not mistaken several years ago a group of people attempted to sue the AZGF dept for having to wait so long for an elk tag. The ruling went towards the G&F because it is worded that hunting is a privelege in the state of AZ. I wonder if the state takes a sum of these tags, and makes them (more available) per Juddd to $$$$$$ does this counter that judgement and could that lawsuit be resubmitted against this proposal.

PS

nothing like waiting in line (for a decade)and watching 54 individuals walk right past you and take what youve been waiting in line for.

It is my proposal that all who sign off on this bill shall let 54 people cut in front of them at every retail, grocery store gas station what not... for a year and then they could see the frustration of privatization of az resources.. Hey if the guy behind you is paying.. right?

Furthermore, how about these tags are bought at a minimum... as in no body bids against or buys a raffle ticket so this big money grab can go away already... the end

that would be epic^

Amanda,

How does the process work with the ADA in situations like this? Do the members have a say in the position that the ADA takes? I assume they get member feed back from this questionaire but are the result available for members to see? Does the board overrule the members oppinions? This senario represents a big problem for hunters.....support the organizatons that support wildlife BUT may not represent your views (after all people in power can do whatever they want despite the people that put them there). OR CAN THEY?

This is kind of an unusual situation as we don't normally poll membership on each issue. The board is voted in by the membership and members are welcome at board meetings to present their ideas on issues they see as important. And since this issue has been so important to many people, the ADA created the survey that was mailed out to the membership. As to your question on whether the board can vote to overrule the majority of members opinions...I suppose they can. I don't think that has ever happened.

What the ADA and other groups need is people, not only members, they need new board members, they need people that are willing to go to the meetings and listen to what's going on and voice their opinion. What I see is that the same people are always on the board, and that's not a bad thing since there are no others to fill the spots, but there needs to be more people. When I did it, I seen people show up a few times and then be gone, it gets frustrating for some when the only volunteers are themselves every time. That being said people need to get involved, say what need to be said and don't give up. Boards can be replaced if members vote for it, people can be put in and out of all these groups. The azsfw has overstepped its bounds and every group out there and their members need to shut them down on this and any bill like this. When people with power start forcing you to follow their mandates because they know what's better for you, they need to be replaced.

• Like 2

Amanda,

I dont know what all the ADA members think about this bill but i would hope that they are against it. That said, ADA meeting minutes show ".....platinum level donor, which would entail a $10,000 donation. Suzanne outlined AZSFW’s accomplishments and plans for the future. John Koleszar moved, Domenick Lopano seconded, to support AZSFW as a platinum donor and contribute $10,000. Motion carried".

The following is the ADA Mission Statement:

“The Arizona Deer Association is a non-profit conservation organization dedicated to improving habitat and expanding Arizona's mule deer and Coues' deer herds. To fulfill our mission, we raise funds from members, the public, and private sources. These funds support projects, education, and programs that directly benefit Arizona's deer herds and their habitat.”

The support of this bill must be exactly that, funding raising, right? Has the board explored other ways of raising funds that might be more in line with their member’s views?

The following is from ADA Membership Section:

“The Arizona Deer Association is a non-profit, volunteer-run organization dedicated to preserving deer and deer habitat in the state of Arizona. The members of the ADA are a diverse group and include hunters, lawyers, teachers, construction workers, and people from all walks of life and all spectrums of society. Members are the heart of the organization and member participation is the key that helped the organization grow from its inception at a backyard barbeque to one of the largest conservation organizations in the state. Currently, we have about 500 members who are involved in all kinds of projects such as habitat improvements, youth camps, and our annual banquet.”

If the board is elected by the members then is stands to reason that the members are for this bill, right? I think there is a real disconnect here and while I can appreciate that the ADA is dedicated to improving habitat and expanding Arizona's mule deer and Coues' deer herds by raising funds. Again, the board owes it to their members to explore all/other ways of raising funds that might be more in line with their member’s views.

• Like 1

Very rarely do members ever speak up, especially in numbers. People sign up at the EXPO, or the ADA banquet, or just renew their membership and believe that their charitable donation supports hunting, and for the most part the ADA has been great in projects and studies for deer. The members that elect the board never show up, or maybe one or two people do to the annual meeting and the board is elected by the board because that is all that is there. They announce the meeting and who is slated for office in their announcements and their newsletter, maybe even on the website, but the board are the only ones that generally show up. They are a dedicated group that show up for these meetings and projects, but no feedback from members don't help at all. I don't know the reasons for supporting this bill, but the members have definitely spoken on their view on this one and they need to listen.

It was obvious at last night's meeting that the ADA guy was ticked off. Babbling about how mean we all are and Death threats? New one to me. Not one hand went up in support of this bill including his and I hope Brewer's people took note of that. This is exactly like USO and if you are supporting AZSFW you are going to have meetings with a dozen members in the room. Woodhouse did a good job of framing the reasons this bill is just plain bad for Arizona. If the ADA and AZSFW have a brain among them they will ditch this effort so they can fight another day. If they want auction tags so bad that they are willing to bet the future of their organizations on this then that is that. They could win and they could lose. If they lose they are done IMO.

• Like 2