Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Archery Turkey Hunting - got any tips?

Looks like I will be heading to Mexico to hunt Gould's and I was considering using my bow. I am wondering how many of you archery turkey hunt and if you have any tips? What broadhead do you use? Which shot placement do you prefer (facing away, strutting straight on, side shot?)? Use a blind or not? Camo fletching on your arrows? Which facemask do you use that doesn't interfere with drawing and contact points for your draw?

As stubborn as we are, my buddies and I always use our bows. The only successful hunts we have had have been in a blind with decoys out. for us, anyway, the act of drawing a bow without the blind has been a dealbreaker. Many, many, many times. Now I'm just kinda depressed about our lack of turkey hunting skills.

By the way, the turkeys we have got have been with large cut diameter expandable heads and one with the gobbler guillotine (head shot at 15 yards - very impressive)

By the way, the turkeys we have got have been with large cut diameter expandable heads and one with the gobbler guillotine (head shot at 15 yards - very impressive)

I love those videos!

Good luck on your hunt, I want a Goulds tag soo bad. 12 points and still no draw. I use expandables but only seem to recover about 50% of my turkeys. I wish I knew something better. I use a blacked out bow and fletching with noctural nocks. I use a double bull blind and it makes it a lot easier to draw on those turkeys. I have never found a mask that doesn't effect my arrow flight so I paint my face. I usually wear a black shirt, hat and gloves. If it is hot I wear shorts, cold pants, but color doesn't matter inside the blind. I prefer a head on shot but take what I can get. With the blind 10 to 15 yd shots are the norm for me and my buddies.

My best advice would be use an expandable broadhead and try not to focus on just hitting the head. I've taken a Rio Grande with my bow using a Rage 3 blade and the turkey didn't move an inch.

I really don't want to have to paint my face, but I don't like having a mask interfering with my anchor points and such. I am looking for suggestions on a mask. I bought one for archery elk hunting years ago that is tight fitting but really mostly covers my head/neck, but not all of my face.

I know sitting in a ground blind isn't your thing Amanda but it is a very effective piece of equipment if sitting on feed or a water hole. I would assume you're not shooting alot of poundage from your bow and this is good. Extreme penetration is not as important as tissue damage and accuracy and you need to practice alot because holding your bow at full draw for a long time is very important for waiting out the perfect shot. I lost my share of turkeys over the years shooting fixed blades before I educated myself to go with mechanical blades. I buy whatever is on sale and haven't lost one since. Mechanical blades transfer more energy than fixed blades. I carry a small piece of camo netting, 6'x6' or so, in my pocket when not using a blind. It sticks to anything and can be put in place in seconds. It mainly gives you some concellment when pulling your bow. I can't say enough about their eye sight. Stay still until you're ready to take your shot. I've been busted more than once before I even had them in range.

I like my fletching in dark colors with one bright. It helps you find your turkey since a dead turkey can blend in so well but keep your fletchings covered with a camo sock made from a piece of clothing. Netting hangs up and pulls off to easily.

Shot placement is higher on a turkey than most people think. Instead of me explaining go to this web page. It's one of the best shot placement videos I've seen. Go to Gone Wild Outdoors and click on shot placement on turkeys.

Good luck on your hunt :)

TJ