Sign in to follow this  
lugnuts

Archery Unit 27 with Horses

I have the option of taking horses on my Unit 27 Archery Bull hunt this year. I have two tags this year so I am looking for a big bull only. Does anyone have any experience in the Wilderness Areas with horses? AZGFD website mentions Rose Peak, Alma Mesa and Red Mountiain on the Blue. I have all the gear to get it done, just dont know if its worth it. Keep in mind the horses need lots of food and water. We usually stake them out while we go hunting or hunt on horseback. I have scouted the Blue on the NM side in Unit 23. We heard there were big bulls in there, but that particular year they werent in there. I plan on scouting this summer off foot and would like to check out Alma Mesa and the Red Mountain Area, but its a pretty good hike. Does anyone access the Blue from Glenwood, NM? PM me if you want. I would love to hear some feedback.

I had a cow tag in unit 23 (New Mexico) several years ago and hunted behind Alma/Glenwood and it seemed like all the elk were coming in from AZ. LOL. NOw I have the same tag as you and I have thought about checking out Alma Mesa for the same reasons as you. However I dont have access to horses. I have spent time looking for sheds around Rose peak and i believe the elk are only there in the later seasons. I have spent time in Beaver Creek area and Campbell Blue and will be checking those areas out more thorough because I have been there camping in October and liked what I saw!

I know of an outfitter that has gone over to hunt below Alma mesa. It is a LONG ride from the Blue River, and you will need to find water. The Only short way to get there is from the NM side. Also the backside of Red Mountain can be a sleeper, I'm told. Don't overlook the Bear Mountain area down in the Blue. A real gagger of a Bull was taken out of there awhile back.

Here is a picture of Red Mountain taken from highway 191