azbowhntrs

Deer Cane Used on Coues Deer

Hello Fellow AZ Deer hunters!

I would like to start a discussion regarding Deer Cane and other deer attractants. Has anyone out there used a product known as "Deer Cane" or any other over the counter "Deer attractants" to attract AZ Coues Deer or maybe even Muley's? I’m doing the research for a friend of mine who is in the military and stationed here in Tucson. He is from Kentucky and has allot of experience hunting those mid-western states but since he has been stationed here he has developed a serious case of coues fever! He has a couple trail cams and was lucky enough to place one of his cameras in a honey hole on his first try. He's got pics of a mature coues and is now hoping to use the summer to scout the buck and we were wondering if anyone out there has successfully used any type of deer attractant such as "Deer Cane" to bring deer in or at least keep them patterned up? I passed on to him the information that i have regarding the subject but were in need of more info on the subject. As a born and raised central AZ Coues and Mule Deer hunter, I grew up chasing both species of these AZ ghosts. While hunting up in the pines I used Deer Cane one pre-season to attempt to attract and keep a good herd of Coues in a specific area in an attempt to set up a blind for the upcoming archery season. My hope was to keep those Coues deer on the particular pattern that they were following during the summer months. Of course I know that there are many natural "pattern breakers" out there and i also know that there isn’t any "miracle attractants" out there to keep deer coming back every single day continuously, but if you have any info on the subject please let us know. Although I was able to keep that heard of Coues on their pattern for a few more weeks, it wasn’t long before the Elk found the spot and literally destroyed it. They churned up the low grass where the Cane was then began digging ion the ground looking for more. So in my situation the elk actually moved into a part of the Coues Deer pattern and actually seemed to chase the Coues away. Down here in southern AZ we don’t have elk to contend with but does anyone out there even think it’s worth his time/money?

Thanks for your time

BK

I've used Deer Co Caine Black Magic with some good success. Mix it into the dirt for Coues deer. It works best during the horn growing season.

I've used Deer Co Caine Black Magic with some good success. Mix it into the dirt for Coues deer. It works best during the horn growing season.

+1 They seem to disappear after they lose their velvet.

+2 keeps them coming in good never checked after archery season so couldn't tell you but during the growth months they love it

I have had good success with it, I have found the best way to use it is to pack water in also and dissolve the the cain and pour it onto rock salt and let it leach into the earth. I have spots where the deer have dug all the way down to bedrock.

• Like 1

Remember baiting is technically illegal in most lands in az....

According to who? Under ARS 13-2927 you can't put out food for wildlife in Maricopa and Pima counties only...and hunting activities are specifically exempted from the law. So, what authority are you referring to, because I'm sure a lot of people would like to know if there is something else out there?

According to who? Under ARS 13-2927 you can't put out food for wildlife in Maricopa and Pima counties only...and hunting activities are specifically exempted from the law. So, what authority are you referring to, because I'm sure a lot of people would like to know if there is something else out there?

From the FAQs page on the AZ DGF website, in response to "Can I use bait or attractants to lure big game?":

Yes, except for bear. The Arizona Game and Fish Department does not allow you to use any substance to attract bears. Different federal land agencies, such as the U.S. Forest Service, the Bureau of Land Management or the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service may have restrictions against the use of salt or other bait as an attractant for wildlife. If hunting these lands, contact those land management agencies to verify the legalities of attractants.

From the FAQs page on the AZ DGF website, in response to "Can I use bait or attractants to lure big game?":

Yes, except for bear. The Arizona Game and Fish Department does not allow you to use any substance to attract bears. Different federal land agencies, such as the U.S. Forest Service, the Bureau of Land Management or the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service may have restrictions against the use of salt or other bait as an attractant for wildlife. If hunting these lands, contact those land management agencies to verify the legalities of attractants.

I would susspect that since he said "lands" he was referring to the restriction on Forest survice lands. Several of the National forests have restrictions on baiting or leaving stuff in the forest.

Yup know couple people who got busted for baiting on forest service land. As long as you know your laws you should bait away... If you don't , its just plain ignorance. I could care less either way but game and fish have been known to get Leeds off this site for so called "deer baiters" just giving a heads up to a law I just barely found to be true a few years ago.

Yup know couple people who got busted for baiting on forest service land. As long as you know your laws you should bait away... If you don't , its just plain ignorance. I could care less either way but game and fish have been known to get Leeds off this site for so called "deer baiters" just giving a heads up to a law I just barely found to be true a few years ago.

Where specifically can you read up on this type of information??

Where specifically can you read up on this type of information??

Last year as I was breaking camp after I tagged my buck, a Forest Service guy pulled up and asked if I had a camera and salt in this one area. I told him I was 1/4 mile away from that spot, and that my camera had been down for 2 days. He told me it was against the law to put anything,(tree stands, cameras, salt, corn, and anything else) on "Wilderness" land. I asked if the forest was considered wilderness and he said no to look at the map to find the wilderness areas. He was a real @$$ about it. He had no people skills.