Sign in to follow this  
ACTS_238

Early vrs Late Season Hunting

I would like to pose a question to my fellow hunters.

Question: What are the advantages/disadvantages to early season and late season Elk Hunting

This would be Archery related as to difficulty of hunt, stratagey, scouting methods

I now the rut is the primary advantage to early season,

What say You?? :)

I now the rut is the primary advantage to early season,

Nuff said

Being able to hear bulls and cows without seeing them, only drawback is others can hear them too.

Late hunts usually carry more hunters and the animals have been bumped by sportsmen and women for a few months already.

late hunts are easy to draw but LOW success rate, early hunts are roughly 5-10 times harder to draw and have much higher success rates. Ever tried fall turkey hunting? Late elk hunts are kinda like that!

While late hunts offer more predictable bulls versus rutting bulls, at least big/old bulls are visible during the rut.

You cannot kill what you cannot find. Rut hunts offer more opportunities and better odds of finding the best bulls.

I have only had 1 early tag so don't have a lot of experience with that but I have shot a bull the last 5 years on the late archery tag. The late hunts offer a tag that not many people want or even take serious if they draw it. I rarely run into people that are willing to stalk bulls on the side of the rim or doing anything but drive around hoping to jump a bull up. It can be a very difficult hunt but I would rather hunt every year if possible. While there are big bulls out there it can be a little harder to find them on the late hunt if a big bull is all your wanting then the early tag is definitely the way to go.

success rate (all what u feel is success ie the hunt or the kill). late season big bulls are hard to find. many have been bumped or killed. weather is a big factor. have the elk migrated/moved to lower elevation? of course early hunt major plus bulls are with cows thus easier to find and they are vocal...another plus. they just don't think as cautiously when the rut us going on. late season they are holed up alone and much much harder to find.

• Like 1

success rate (all what u feel is success ie the hunt or the kill). late season big bulls are hard to find. many have been bumped or killed. weather is a big factor. have the elk migrated/moved to lower elevation? of course early hunt major plus bulls are with cows thus easier to find and they are vocal...another plus. they just don't think as cautiously when the rut us going on. late season they are holed up alone and much much harder to find.

I am puting in for the late archery hunt next year with six points. almost a sure draw! If you pick the right units and hunt hard and are good at sneaking around I think you can kill a great bull. While scouting for the late season rifle hunts we always see great bulls and they don't move much till they need a drink and then they come right back. The biggest problem is finding bulls that arent broke. Plus with only 25 guys out there with no teams of friends helping, the woods are pretty quiet. I think it is very doable.......