JakeL

How do you hunt the Kaibab?

Great Post, Pics & Help

Any idea how late into the fall the Lupine remains as a food source?? Does a freeze change things?? Then what do they switch too, acorns??

I have a Early W. hunt & the weather could be anything???

DH

On the early hunt I would suggest looking in the burn areas on top and if your having a hard time finding them there then go down in elevation a little bit. Not quite in the sage elevation but in what they call the transition area. Really thick but lots of deer in there.

Great stuff! Answers a lot of my guestions! Love this site!

Hello,

So, from reading the threads and listening and spending a day on the plateau, I sure wish I had read the parts about the purple flowers and the buck brush. Thanks for that information BOHNTR, So, here is the deal my son and I have 2 archery Deer tags for the early hunt in 12A &12B. I take it on opening day AUG 22, 2014 there will be 698 other ready and roaring Bow hunters doing the same thing trying to hunt the water tanks sit in blinds and climb that tree stand to get a shot. From all I've read about the heard I get it they may be in trouble and for that I'm sad, however my son and I have never arrowed a Buck and if we are lucky enough to come into bow range of a 2-3 year old buck will this just add to the problem. I gotta be honest and I'm sure you can all agree when your out there hunting you have to have the right amount of skill and well face it LUCK. I'm not going to sound cocky but if we get a shot at a buck we are going to take it. Also, since we have 2 tags we can be selective on the second one but that first buck in range is gonna get a Thunder head 125 his way. Just below that blow down tank area is a spot called bear lake I was wondering BOHNTR have you had any luck finding some bucks in that area. Also, there is a photo you posted with 2 bucks one bedded and one standing next to the lupine flowers, any chance you have the LONG. and LAT. for that spot I have it around 112.30 and 36.42.. Not asking for your secrets just a general spot that may lead that way. I appreciate all the information.

There is nothing wrong with taking any buck with a bow in my opinion. I have yet to do it. And I have had many of chances. Not everyone cares about the size of the rack. To me it's about the hunt if I take a buck it's a bonus.

• Like 2

Look for Dwaine Adams book about hunting Mule Deer in the Kaibab (have found it in wide world of map stores)

Good Luck!!

In my opinion, the key to bowhunting the Kaibab Plateau is truly understanding what the deer are doing in terms of feeding and bedding. It took quite a few years to understand it (I've bowhunted it for close to 30 years) but once I understood what the deer were doing, it increased my success dramatically. I've found the best food source is lupine followed closely by buck brush. BOTH of these food sources grow on top of the flat ridges. They will also feed on older aspen leaves, but this is not a consistent food source. Once you understand where they're feeding (top of ridges) and bedding (darker timber off sides of ridges), then you'll have a better plan of still-hunting them. Scouting is key, as when you see quality bucks, they won't be far away (within a few ridges).

Cool air blows down the ridges (in terms of elevation). I like to still hunt just off the top of the ridges with the wind in my face. About every 15-25 yards, I peek up on the top of the ridge and glass. I continue this process until I find a feeding buck I want to shoot or the thermals change and begin to blow up the ridges once the air warms. When that occurs, I walk across the flat ridges and hunt the opposite side of the ridge and hunt back to where I started. Since most of the ridges are flat and wide, you are basically hunting the other half of the ridge on a new hunt. If you're confident in the area (based on scouting) you'll increase your chances of getting a close shot at them. I was lucky enough to arrow a 203" non-typical buck that I saw a few times......I stuck with the area and ended up arrowing after two weeks of hunting him. Another thing to consider is to walk quietly. I NEVER still-hunt there without cat paws attached to by boots, which reduce noise significantly.

Guys do sit water, but honestly, most of the BIG bucks do not make a habit of visiting water holes during daylight hours. If they did, they'd never make it past 3 years old, as they'd get whacked beforehand. If you're happy with any buck, a water source will be a place to sit.

I have not hunted the Bab' the last few years (been hunting CO), however, I scout it annually. In my opinion, its deer herd is in trouble. A lot of 2-3 year old bucks and very few mature deer (compared to years past). I'll save my points until it recovers. But you never know, you could find that one giant still roaming there.......that's what makes it a magical place. Hope it helps.....good luck and hope you stick a nice one!

it is the sharing of yrs of experience like BOHTNR that makes this website unique and helpful...thank you thank you thank you BOHTNR for your insight and your willingness to share it...Wisdom is useless unless shared and listened to.

• Like 1

Curtimus, that squirrel in your avitar is just wrong, don't no if I should laugh or cry, great info here

• Like 1