Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Laws and Faqs

While trying to get info on another thread I decided to check out the FAQ's on the G$F website.

I came across an interesting read.

Under the section labeled: Hunting Frequently Asked Questions

Can I carry a gun during an archery hunt?

Over the last few years, especially along the border with Mexico, personal protection and safety has become an issue especially for archery hunters. Commission rule R12-4-318-C2 states that and individual participating in an “archery-only” season shall not use or possess any other weapon during these seasons.

With the increase in border issues the department is allowing individuals participating in “archery-only” seasons statewide to carry a non-hunting handgun that is carried for personal protection and safety. A non-hunting handgun is defined as a handgun; with a barrel length of 6 inches or less that does not have a scope or any type of electronic site.

Please keep in mind that non-hunting handguns are an unlawful method of take while participating in an “archery-only” season and any individual attempting to take wildlife (i.e. big game, predators, non game animals and small game) during an “archery-only” season with a non-hunting handgun is in violation of A.R.S.§ 17-309(A)(14), “Take wildlife by an unlawful method.”

In January 2009, Commission Rule R12-4-318 was proposed by the Commission to be amended to include carrying of non-hunting handguns for personal protection and safety for “archery-only” and “muzzleloader-only” seasons. Unfortunately the Governor has placed a temporary moratorium on all rulemaking and until the amendments are approved by the Governor, the law will remain unchanged. Therefore the Department is allowing for hunters to carry non-hunting handguns for the reasons listed above until the proposed rule change has been approved

Yet, under the FAQ's labeled: Laws and Regulations Frequently Asked Questions

Can I carry a gun during an archery hunt?

No. Commission Rule R12-4-318-C2 states that an individual participating in an “archery only” season shall use and possess only a bow and arrow as prescribed in R12-4-304, and shall not use or possess any other weapon, including a crossbow or any other bow having devices attached to hold the bow in a drawn position, except as authorized by R12-4-216.

Just interesting difference in the two "FAQ's

I asked the GW in one of the units i hunt this exact question last year and his answer was yes for personal protection. I always carry my LCP when im archery hunting. I hunt a bit by myself and I've come across some very strange people.

Also, HB2457 was just signed into law on 4/10, authorizing:

A. The possession of legal weapons, devices, ammunition or magazines, which are not authorized to take wildlife, is not prohibited while hunting if the weapon or device is not used to take wildlife.

Which I think would make the law crystal clear on that point now.

Also, HB2457 was just signed into law on 4/10, authorizing:

A. The possession of legal weapons, devices, ammunition or magazines, which are not authorized to take wildlife, is not prohibited while hunting if the weapon or device is not used to take wildlife.

Which I think would make the law crystal clear on that point now.

Good point and hopefully will be reflected in the administrated level of the law..........