naturegirl

thoughts on new coconino road rules

Happy Jack and then some.

I need some coffee this should finish the Coconino. I also have done the Kaibab and Prescott and will add those latter.

Cosnino,

Thanks for making those files. One thing I did was to open the South Half of the map at

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5364171.pdf

zoom it to 100%, get the view to the part I was interested in (Apache Maid) and then hit the print button. Then I got a choice to print only the "current view".

That gave me as much of an area as I could ride (on rough roads) in a long day. (no hunting involved) I was trying all the open roads, not just passing through, so an area like that was fine. Longer trip, probably want the big map, or print several of the "current views"

I just checked it again, to make sure it worked like I remembered. I zoomed to 125% and fit everything between I-17, Wet Beaver Creek and the 229 road onto a regular piece of printer paper.

Sycamore

Remember the bushnell tanks... temporary closed to vehicles.... I can't even remember what year it was... 2002 maybe and still closed. I do like what they did with bulldog canyon although plenty of people go where they are not supposed to.

James

JLW, I have been told Bushnell Tanks is still closed because the government is still wrapped up with the lawsuit from when the group of scouts and scout master were drowned in the creek just off the highway years ago.

Dan

Remember the bushnell tanks... temporary closed to vehicles.... I can't even remember what year it was... 2002 maybe and still closed. I do like what they did with bulldog canyon although plenty of people go where they are not supposed to.

James

JLW, I have been told Bushnell Tanks is still closed because the government is still wrapped up with the lawsuit from when the group of scouts and scout master were drowned in the creek just off the highway years ago.

Dan

yeah, I talked to a FS officer and she said hoping that was coming to a conclusion and she wasn't sure what was going to happen.

James

I been drivin past there twice a day for over 5 years and I tell you what not a lot of people going in there on foot.

That has always been an awesome WT/Muley transition zone for archery hunt.

I live on the other side of Mt Ord and go quadin over Reno Pass to Bushnell often and it's coming back good.

For awhile before the accident a lot of fast quads were really starting to tear it up in there like Sycamore.

Dan

• Like 1

I been drivin past there twice a day for over 5 years and I tell you what not a lot of people going in there on foot.

I live on the other side of Mt Ord and go quadin over Reno Pass to Bushnell often and it's coming back good.

For awhile before the accident a lot of fast quads were really starting to tear it up in there like Sycamore.

Dan

I'm lost here guys, I called in and recieved my map but I'm not seeing the closures. Is it the black and white striped roads? Maybe they didn't send me the most current map?

Wow, thanks for the info. I guess it was a bad year to break my femur. I'm really bummed about all the camping spots only being accessible by foot. Time to scope out some new spots

Dan

I like that term "Fast Quads" - How bout "Fast Idiots".... They are the main reason for all the closures across the state!

So im a little lost. In the new map are the only camping spots the stupid little dots on the side of the road?

Nevermind. I figured it out. This is BS. HOA of our woods.

Hey guys, I've been looking into all this a bit.

Couple things I learned and I 'd like to point out. It seems this process is still fairly liquid. If you guys can get out those maps and figure out where you feel mistakes are made, make a list of them. We can take those to the forest service and work with them on some changes to the plan. I know we lost alot of those out of the camping spots but like I said before, make a list. I wish we could get an interactive map somewhere that we could actually post little notes on. I'd be willing to bet that if we could organize this a bit, get a good solid, reasonable list of mistakes we feel were made and get that list to Steve Clark, we could petition to get things change around a bit. The AES has been working and fighting this for 4 years, I don't think all is lost, we just need AGAIN, to get involved in the process.

Donnnie

on my turkey trip last weekend nobody seemed to be following closures. I agree and my husband was told the same thing about it being liquid still but I don't think 1 person can change it. we all need to work together. 30' off a road for camping is very dangerous. I still can't fathom that one.

I hung some trail cameras last weekend. Drove in on a road that was open, but had 6 or 7 side roads that were all closed. I had to hike in a mile or so on a road that I originally was going to drive on. No big deal. Fresh quad tracks all up and down that road though. I talked to several different guys that were turkey hunting that had no clue that any of the roads were closed or even what the new travel management rules were.