Sign in to follow this  
LifeFeedsOnLife

Rocky Point

The Sea of Cortez is an amazing place. Thanks again M. D.!!!

post-268-0-40630200-1335494359_thumb.jpg

Thanks Chris , had a great time . Anywhere around rocky pnt that you can find rocks you will find ,rock bass, snapper , trigger fish, ,cabrilla, puffer fish , hog fish and many others. Hawaiian slings work great, kastmasters are great 1 oz cast them at first light for everything especially corvina(sea trout) and pompano ( especially as the tide is coming in)

I speared these red snappers in 5 feet of water right in front of our house during Christmas break this year . I'll try and post the pictures with my iPhone in a couple minutes

NICE SunDevil!!!! Makes me wish I was down there wading right now!!! ;)

Life, I think you should have a good time!

S.

:)

What did you catch the yellows on and how far from shore? I was in San Diego 3 weeks ago slinging Taddy 45s and other metal jigs at feeding yellows but no takers. One was landed...I was jealous!

Chris, them are some huge fish, :o I wanta go! :)

TJ

What did you catch the yellows on and how far from shore? I was in San Diego 3 weeks ago slinging Taddy 45s and other metal jigs at feeding yellows but no takers. One was landed...I was jealous!

We were using aluminum tady jigs so when you reel the lure in they stay close to the surface , they are very finicky untill they are in a full blown feeding frenzy , then you have about 1-2 minutes to throw your jigs until the bait ball drops down in the water column , we also do very well on yellowtail over deep reefs 100-200 feet jigging iron . Once the jig hits the bottom , jig it a few times the quickly reel up 50-60 feet then drop again , while watching your fish finder to see where the fish are suspended , we also troll deep diving rapalas over the deep reefs . Hope this helps

Mason

Its super fun throughing irons at the boiling yellow! I like flylining live squid to them also. Thanks for the response.

I've never boat fished, but I've shore fished every summer from Morua Estuary west of Playa Encanto/ Playa La Jolla for the last 20 years or so. For bait, I use anchovies/minnows that I catch off shore dragging a 20 feet minnow seine. I fish the incoming tide twice each day, and plan my trips when the tidal elevational shift between high and low tides are the greatest using a Tide Chart. Over a three hour shore fishing session as the tide is coming in, I typically catch between 10 fish on the low side and 40 on the high side. Since my brother, nephews or wife typically fish with me, we toal out with easily 30 fish on a slow day and betwen 100-120 on a better day. About 60% are corvina, 20% flounder, 10% rock bass, and 10% pompano, witha few other species as well.

Kastmasters do work, but they are way less effective than using the live local minnows. I've fished with gentlemen on both sides of me using Kastmasters and was conservatively landing 6 or 7 fish to their 1 fish. Each time I waded back into shore to unhook my fish, they would cast into "my spot" several times each and catch nothing. I would wade back out and land another fish in the next cast or two. When I dumped my minnows out at the end of my session, they started attaching them onto the end of their KAstmasters and started catching fish much more effectively.

The funnest fishing, is finding a "bait ball" of minnows. Typically, dark shadows of anchovies will appear off-shore and slowly make their way parallel to the shore with the incoming tide. They are balled-up for protection from predatory fish. If you find a bait -ball cast beyond it and reel through it and you'll surely get a strike! Then. continue following it along the beach. You can get a fish on nearly 90% of all casts brought back through such a bait-ball and it is exciting action as long as the bait-ball exists. All my shore fish are about 1-3 pounds each. My record was a 30 inch long corvina. The only down-fall is you'll spend the next 3-4 hours skinning, cleaning, and filleting your daily catch to prepare them for your evening fresh-fish dinner! Got to love Rocky Point! By the way, even a dead local minnow works better than cut bait or lures when shore fishing. So, after your bait expires in the bucket, which they typically do after about 30 minutes, keep using them, as they will work for hours post-mortum!

Dang, I had sworn off Mexico because of all the bad things going on down there, but you guys have me really wanting to back!

Anyone have a place down there for rent?

Dang, I had sworn off Mexico because of all the bad things going on down there, but you guys have me really wanting to back!

I won a free trip to Cabo a couple weeks ago that I am not going to use that you can have. You have to have pay for your travel though.

I won a free trip to Cabo a couple weeks ago that I am not going to use that you can have. You have to have pay for your travel though.

I'll PM you.