Sign in to follow this  
Elkaddict

Trail Camera for Home Security?

We've had a lot of burglarys around Happy Jack over the winter. I was informed yesterday my neighbor is going to ask me about mounting trail cameras on his property to try to get a pic of the people. He was broke into twice in the last couple of months.

My questions would be what type, brand,flash /no flash, etc. what about batteries? Hang it high so they can't get to it? The last breakin they took a ladder and cut out the vent to his garage and crawled in that way!

Any ideas?

I should have mentioned he thinks I know a lot about trail cameras since I own a couple, that's why I need Help!!

I have tascos 5mp cam it runs off 4 double a batteries that will last up to six months and it has ir for night shots no flash takes good quality photos and doesn't break the bank you can pick them up for about 75 and security box made for the unit can be purchased at camlockboxes.com

We've had a lot of burglarys around Happy Jack over the winter. I was informed yesterday my neighbor is going to ask me about mounting trail cameras on his property to try to get a pic of the people. He was broke into twice in the last couple of months.

My questions would be what type, brand,flash /no flash, etc. what about batteries? Hang it high so they can't get to it? The last breakin they took a ladder and cut out the vent to his garage and crawled in that way!

Any ideas?

I should have mentioned he thinks I know a lot about trail cameras since I own a couple, that's why I need Help!!

if you get cell service there use 1 of those types so it e-mails the pic of the perp. and use solar power.

If they destroy it hopefully it will e-mail a photo.

otherwise I think fry's electronics has a wireless set up that we use at work not too expensive.

During the October cow elk hunt there was a rash of burglaries along the fr 125 near mormon lake they even took 1 guys mattress out of his fith wheel!

I saw on the news they caught 2 guys in the oak creek area robbing houses........

James

I looked up the Tasco, walmart sells them, looks good.

I am going to research the ones that email a picture, sounds like it might be the way to go, any info on brands?

We have verizon up here, so far I haven't found a camera that emails pictures that works with verizon. AT&T doesn't work here. Anyone know of a brand compatable w/verizon?

the wireless surveillance cams or wired if prefered for cost can be monitored via the web at anytime anywhere you get internet.

James

In addition to outside cams, inside cams hidden well should be used also to prove entrance. I suspect video mode would be a good choice.

We have some cameras coming out in a few months for about $350 I hope. We do have one right now but it is $1600 to get the camera and a base unit, top of the line. Keep in mind that most of the cheaper cameras wont be able to take a good enough image to get a close up to tell who it is. You need a good camera with lots of megapixels and a good lens or HD.

Eric

Thanks for the comments, I'll pass them along to my neighbor. We are having a community meeting tonight about the burglaries, we'll see what the latest is.