Sign in to follow this  
Pixman

My first attempt at darkening sheds.

Well I saw where a guy had used mud and old english oil on his white sheds so I decided to give it a try. I know they aren't perfect but I am happy with the results. I think it looks better than then when they were mostly white. Let me know what you guys think!

Before pics

post-4217-0-35054800-1336835428_thumb.jpg

post-4217-0-46005300-1336835450_thumb.jpg

mud on them

post-4217-0-60581300-1336835470_thumb.jpg

finished

post-4217-0-75896400-1336835488_thumb.jpg

post-4217-0-07059200-1336835510_thumb.jpg

post-4217-0-09947700-1336835524_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good! Its not over powering, but definitely adds some color back into them.

I used some Birchwood-Casey Tru Oil on a mule deer shed I found a few years ago. I was too liberal with the oil and it really turned them a very un-natural color, your way looks good.

I have also tried to stain antlers in the past but none ever came out as good as yours. Great job! :)

TJ

Mud? Never heard of using mud. I have a set that needs some color addd to it, could you explain your process? I like the result!

What I did was make a mud hole in my backyard, cover the antlers in mud like the pic shows. Let them dry for a day or two. They weren't dark enough so I covered them in mud 3 different times and let them dry each time. Brushed off the mud with a stiff brush. Wiped down the antlers with a cloth and then rubbed Old English lemon oil on them. They have different Old English oils but I decided to try this one instead of a darker oil. It is fairly simple but it was almost a week long process letting them dry several times. Good luck!

Those turned out amazingly good! Where did you initially see this idea? Thanks for sharing the info with us and great job on those! JIM>

Those turned out amazingly good! Where did you initially see this idea? Thanks for sharing the info with us and great job on those! JIM>

I didn't want to mention the other site but it was Monster Muleys, lol

thats awesome! where can one purchase some Old English Lemon oil?

I bought some at Home Depot for $5.00

I have a set about like those you darkened. I may bhave to try that too. Looks great