This is gonna be a long story, so please bear with me....

Before my dad turned 80 on April 26th, I decided I wanted to treat him to a camping/fishing trip on the White Mtn rez like we did when I was a kid.

I remember every summer growing up, we would go 3 or 4 times to the White Mtns and fish places like Hawley Lake, Diamond Creek, Whiteriver, Big Lake, and Christmas Tree Lake. I grew to love that country, and for some unknown reason havent been back there for about 35 years.

Since that time, my dad gave me all of his fishing stuff, and had basically called it quits for hunting and fishing, because he doesnt want to leave my mom alone.

Well, I planned the trip, made the necessary reservations for 8 of us. My mom, dad, wife, 2 sons, daughter in law, grandson and a friend went for the past 3 days.

As we drove the dirt roads, which brought back memories of long ago, we saw a bull elk that would score right now about 320", cow elk, 4 different groups of turkeys. We fished, and even though the fishing wasnt as good as I remember it, we had so much fun kicking back on the bank and enjoying all that God gave us.

Something that stuck out, and really made me think were, that I had to bait my dad's hook because he has a tremble in his hands. But, it reminded me of when my dad always baited my hook, untangled my line, and got my hook out of the tree or bushes when I tried to cast.

Yesterday, as we were about to pack up for the trip home, my dad sat next to me, and as I looked at him, he had a tear in his eye. he said, " I really apprec", then he started crying. I hugged him and asked what was wrong, as I didnt realize what he was trying to say.

He said it, this time thru the tears, "I really appreciate you doing this...............I hope you can come back once in a while after I am gone".

Well, that brought tears to my eyes, and after a couple of minutes I walked outside to see the lake. But, instead of looking at the lake, I said a little prayer and thanked God for my dad and allowing us to share so much together.

I guess I am tellng you this because I have taken things for granted and allowed everyday life to control me. When my dad told me that, I realized that he may not be around much longer, and that I need to cherish the times we have left.

So, if your dad is still alive, make every minute count that you possibly can.

Garth

God bless you and your Family Garth, great story that is something you and your father will cherish forever.

I lost my dad at 54 years old on May 20th 2001 and I still miss him every single day.

Garth,

That is a great story that has a true meaning behind it. I almost lost my Dad this past August to a heart attack. He turned 59 this year. He has taught me so much about hunting and fishing and he is the one that introduced me to the great outdoors. This past year I have seen the roles starting to switch, much like you saw on your trips. When we hunted this past fall, I would wait for him on the trail even though he told me to "go ahead, I'll catch up". He hasn't shot a coues deer yet and my goal this year is to fill his tag. Just recently, I took my 3 year old up to the White Mountains and my Dad, Mom, Brother and his girlfriend all came along. While we were there, I was making sure that my Dad and my son were both doing okay. On the last day, while we were packing up we reflected on the trip and my Dad talked to me about when he took me on my first trip. It is something I will never forget.

I will hunt with my Dad until he says he can't go anymore.

Matt

Garth

Great story and it sounds like you definitely have your priorities straight! My Dad has had so many health problems the last few years its absolutely ridiculous! He, and my mom live with my wife and I. He seems to appreciate the smallest things that we do for him. It really makes you think. Thats the way life should be. The simple things should be enough! God created such a wonderful place and most people just don't realize it or just flat out don't appreciate life.I hope you do go back there after your Dad is gone because he would have wanted it that way and we need to keep some of our family traditions alive. I bet your kids had a lot of fun too!

Great story and good luck Rich T.

P.S. When is the last time you heard a family member say ''We need to get together and play computer games'' Makes ya think don`t it!

P.S. Sorry to hear aboat your Dad Keith

I think I need to call my dad.

Thanks

Oh man, your really killing me here. What a great summary of your experience Garth! It obviously hits home with many of us here, as we experience the 'passing of the torch' in our own lives.

Even though I LOVE to get out with my buddies, my most treasured memories are of going out chasing birds with my dad as a youngster & 'younger' adult... My father is over 80 now, and there has been a noticable slow-down in his outdoors activities over the past few years. In fact, last year was the first year that he officially threw in the towel and stopped applying for big game hunts. Although he still loves to get out, he just doesn't have the energy & stamina that used to carry him up & down the hills.

We still get out when he's interested, and I still treasure those times. As my kids come of age, I'm hopeful that they'll look back some day and remember the good times were having as great times. This story gives me hope, and I'm confident that they will.... ;)

God bless all, and remember to take a grandpa hunting/fishing every now and then! :blink:

S.

;)

I truly envy those of you who grew up with loving fathers. Mine was a miser, an abusive and sometimes violent alcoholic and a poacher. Because of him I do not drink, money means nothing to me, and I follow game laws to the letter. I have no good memories of that man.

Bill Quimby

I truly envy those of you who grew up with loving fathers. Mine was a miser, an abusive and sometimes violent alcoholic and a poacher. Because of him I do not drink, money means nothing to me, and I follow game laws to the letter. I have no good memories of that man.

Bill Quimby

Sorry to hear that, but God works in mysterious ways. You don't know what might have become of you if you would not have had such a first hand experience with drinking and abuse. Look at all the people that grow up in seemingly wonderful households that end up losers at life.

Garth,

By far, one of the best stories I've read here.

Thanks for taking the time to post it.

We all have a love for the outdoors and it had to have been handed down from somebody, usually our father. I put my Dad in with practically all my hunts. He hasn't had to pay for a tag or license in years. It's the least I could do for all the times he took us outdoors as kids. Hopefully I share many more memories with him up in the hills.

Chef

My dad was a hunting and fishing maniac. He died when I was 8 years old. We hunted and fished every chance we could together. I have converted my step dad over to the hunting and fishing side. I am 28 now and I remember every single trip we took. I now have a son and a daughter and even though the oldest is only 2.5 we are already making those great hunting and fishing trips together. Life is to short to not enjoy it.

Guest Ernesto C

Is all about love and forgiveness. Topics like this make this site the Best hunting site in the world. Thanks to all of you for opening your heart to us,God bless you all.

My dad does not live with us anymore for some "issues" that happened long time ago but I still love him and remember him every day.I thank him for showing me right from wrong,for showing me how to work,for teaching me how to fish and hunt,how can I forget those excited adventures with him while hunting and fishing? I remember the day he let me hunt with a rifle for the first time! I remember the day I had to carry my first deer in the field with him..........man I can keep going on and on.

Thanks every one and again God bless you all.

Ernesto C

Garth

Great story fer sure! Others adding fuel to the fire and personal experiences definitely show the quality of the members here.

My story may be along the lines as Ernesto's so the story is appreciated and welcomed.

Thanks to everyone who shared.

That gave me chills reading about your trip! THAT IS AWESOME you were able to MAKE the trip happen now and not WISH you had later! Really makes you stop and think about all we take for granted! I had a close call several years ago with my dad and am thankful everyday since that he still around! I just received this short video email yesterday and fits exactly into this topic, if it works, please watch it.........very touching!

Thanks for your story Garth! JIM

http://www.parentswish.com/

Man guys those are some great stories! My biological dad was never around and my stepfather stepped in and showed what it was like to be a dad. He taught me everything about life especially hunting and fishing. Man all those camping trips, fishing trips with all the familly, i miss those days!!! Now is the time to bring those memories back and make new ones before it is to late. To all those fathers, Happy fathers day!!!!!