Sign in to follow this  
218buck

rifle for a 11 year old girl

Hmmm lots info!

A Remington youth model .243 is all she needs right now. My kids have killed several Elk, several deer and pigs with one ! Set up right they are tack drivers!

100% of the time they need to be shooting from a rest. But I have them also practice shooting off hand just in case. So the weight of the gun is a concern.

My one daughter third eyeballed an elk at 100 yards a few years ago!

We have never wounded an Elk with that .243 and they died quick!

In my opinion a .243 is not a good elk gun. For deer and smaller game it is a super cartridge. With that being said can you hunt an elk with a 243 absolutely. Last summer I took my 7 year old son to Africa and with his .243 using 85 grain Barnes triple shock bullets he took a kudu, Blue wildebeest, and quite a few other animals and every one of them went no further than 100 yards and died. I was not sure if I wanted him using a .243 for some of the larger animals, but the ph had no problems with it. After he assessed my sons shooting skills. (which he got from his mother by the way) So I would tell you go get a 243 have your daughter shoot it regularly and then make your own call if she needs it for elk hunting. If you do use it make sure that you use a good quality bullet and do not exceed her comfort level distance. Also when practicing I find it best to only let my son shoot 5 or 6 rounds and then quit on a good one. If we went more than that he would start to jerk the trigger or lift his head to see where he hit as he was pulling the trigger. Anyway you go you will be a winner because of the memories you are making with her.

I agree that every body is entitled to their opinion, but from my families experience the 243 can and does KILL Elk. The most important thing to consider is, Will she be comfortable with what she is shooting. Like what was said above by Naturegirl she will not shoot accurately if she flinches anticipating the shot.