azryan

future in hunting for Az

Being 17 years old and all, i have always had this on my mind. How is the hunting going to be here in Az in 20, 30, 40 yrs, etc...What is it going to be like for my kids and my grandkids. Iam a little worried that it is not gonna be very good in the future. there are so many people moving here, amd Az is getting a lot more publicity on how good our hunting is. This all means a bunch more people heading into our beautiful forests, and like desertsheep was talking about in his topic, more competition. There are so many problems that i see are going to occur. I dunno, i have always been curious to what other people have thought about this.We all have our hunting spots which we like to think no one elses uses but most likely it is not a secret spot. Just with more and more people hunting it takes away sometimes from the experience. But it is fun to make a gameplan according to what other hunters are gonna do. Other hunters can hurt your experience or make it one of the best experiences. I know we all like to go out hunting and get to our spot but then there is another truck right where u were gonna go. I expect that but i still dont like it. I like to be with my friends and family out hunting and no one else. I jus think in the future it is gonna get too congested. Am i crazy? I just hope it will stay the same and the way it will do that is with us following all the rules and being friendly and having a good attitude...im jus rambling but ive had this on my mind for a long time.

First I want to say welcome to the site...

About the future... It is going to be all about money, if you can afford to put in for different states and a bunch of hunts you might draw each year... If not then it might be tough.... It is going to be tough to keep young ones interested when they hunt once every 7 years... :ph34r:

jason

Downthebarrel17

Welcome to the site.

Kudos to you! Many of us have similar concerns, BUT it took most of us a long time to get that way. You have beaten most of us by a decade at least in becoming concerned for the FUTURE of hunting.

One thing is certain, Hunting will change in the future. Be it for the beter or worse, it will change. It is up to us to become involved and effect the change the way we believe it should happen. Many hunter advocacy groups are out there to help direct individual energies and at least in part, they are one answer. These groups will also help disseminate information and focus on core problems as well as solutions. AZGFD (And everyone else) have their own agendas, but there needs to be common ground.

Personal Involvement can bridge that gap.

One place to start is to Contact a group like the ADA www.azdeer.org and sit in on a few meetings. Get some ideas and help wherever you can.

Thanks for asking the question and hope we give you encouragement for the future.

im definitely going to join as many groups as i can, i wanna be able to help as much as i can. i just hope that hunting will get better, we just need the cooperation from all the other hunters, which will be hard to do. Yeah i know im prolly a little to young to think about it, but for some reason it concerns me. Im sure most of evryone on this site are good hearted, ethical hunters. thats all we need to make a difference for the future more people like evryone in here.

Downthebarrel,

Welcome to the site, I have thought about this stuff too, I am going to be seventeen in October. I'm from New Mexico though and honestly I think you guys are better off then us. I have hunted both states and I have to say AZ has so many more deer, and elk numbers are getting up there. I thnk if the drought gets a little better and they still cling to the same number of permits it'll be all right, and right now is the time for me and you to get all this down so we can be on the ball later. :ph34r:

Downthebarrel,

Welcome to the site, I have thought about this stuff too, I am going to be seventeen in October. I'm from New Mexico though and honestly I think you guys are better off then us. I have hunted both states and I have to say AZ has so many more deer, and elk numbers are getting up there. I thnk if the drought gets a little better and they still cling to the same number of permits it'll be all right.

thats very true....once the drought lets up a little(i dont think it will ever though) animals will thrive, but there is so many people coming to arizona it is unbelievable. That means more competiton for permits. Which also means we wil not get drawn as often. it will be dang hard to get a permit :ph34r: but this sorta fits in with desertsheeps topic, we need to find a way to make it more fair if things are gonna work out in the future

Ya there's definitely gonna be some kinks in the works but hopefully the g&f can figure out how to keep animal numbers up cuz without animals they make no money right? I wonder if they have thought of that? And as far as more hunters putting in- it's impossible to avoid that, but everyone that moves to AZ and NM aren't going to be hardcore hunters like us though.

good point...i dunno i just had this on my mind and i thought i would throw it out here. I just hope that the hunting wont get to congested, yeah i know arizona is huge and has a lot of land and so is new mexico. But how much is all this gonna change, i think dramatically and it wil affect hunters and where we hunt

It's been said you need only to look at the past to see the future.

Since 1970, when Arizona's deer huntng permits were initiated, we have lost forever an average of 1,888 deer hunting permits every year. If this trend continues at this rate, you can expect 18,888 fewer people allowed to hunt a deer with a rifle or muzzleloader in Arizona in 10 years; and 37,760 fewer rifle/muzzleloader deer hunters in just 20 years.

Since 37,760 is approximately the same number of tags authorized for 2006, the past shows us that deer hunting with rifles/muzzleloaders in this state will cease after 2026.

Increased population affecting our hunting and deer herds is a myth. We still will have 82% of Arizona in some form of public ownership. The 18% of this state's private land will have more people per square mile, and some of the private land we now hunt will have homes on it, of course. We also will lose some lands when parks are expanded. However, we still will have more acres of public hunting land than many states have total acreage.

More and more gates are being locked by private owners and lessees, and more primitive roads are being closed by land management agencies, and this results in decreased access. Because wildlife managers and hunters judge hunting pressure by the number of people hunting near the roads that still are open, we will continute to see fewer tags in each unit.

Drought also has been mentioned as a factor contributing to fewer permits, and some on this forum have questioned my belief that drought is normal in Arizona. Even so, I believe we will have plenty of deer to hunt in the future. I do not foresee a change in the attitude of hunters and wildlife managers, however. Both will demand more restrictions on hunting as the years pass.

It's a funny thing about hunters and anglers. Each generation becomes more conservative, and more fearful that their activities will decimate fish and game. After watching Arizona's hunting and fishing politics closely over nearly fifty years, I can say with authority that organized sportsmen's clubs usually are especially guilty of this.

The only good thing about my gloomy forecast is I won't be here in 20 years.

BillQ :(

downthebarrel17 most of them have already told you, but welcome to the site. You are where we all should have been when we were seventeen, I was ignorant about all the politics behind hunting, if we allow it to continue it will only be about politics and money when it should be about family the outdoors and our heritage. Joining the ADA and other groups is a good thing, but do like az4life said and go to some meetings and get involved, I would bet that a lot of groups would love to hear some input and ideas from someone so young. http://www.azdeer.org/ This is the link to the ADA and their site. Good Luck and God Bless

thnx so much....i like forums like these the are fun to be in and voice your opinion. Im definitely gonna chech out some organizations, to me joining would be worth the time...thnx again for the input.

Just don't mention Carp, mechanical vs. Fixed, baiting, highfence, ted Nugent, GW Bush, Immigration, USO, piles of sticks(remember treestand?), crossbows...

Lets see did I miss anything????

Jason

Just don't mention Carp, mechanical vs. Fixed, baiting, highfence, ted Nugent, GW Bush, Immigration, USO, piles of sticks(remember treestand?), crossbows...

Jason

and your dress! u forgot!

vinihunt :ph34r:

Welcome to the site. You have a valid concern about population growth in Arizona. Although we have a lot of public land in Arizona, I think there is a chance the population of Arizona could double in the next 15 years.If only 5% or 10% of these new people were hunter's then that mean's a whole lot more competition for tag's.I am 43 year's old and wished I was born 20 year's before I was due to better hunting and fishing. I feel very sorry for your generation.

Noel

Jason

and your dress! u forgot!

vinihunt :ph34r:

Hey I look good in that dress.. Kinda like 10 pounds of Bacon in a 5 pound bag... :( :( :(