Sign in to follow this  
87lc

Which Range Finder?

I posted this in the optics section then thought more people would see it here.

I'm going to buy a range finder here soon and would like some of your opinions. I don't quite want to spend the money on the Leica so I am debating between the Nikon Monarch Gold 1200 and the Nikon RifleHunter 1000.

Differences that I see are:

Gold - 7x mag, 1200 yards, - reviews state it is well built

RH - 6x, 1000 yards, - about $100 cheaper.

The major difference is the RH has the angle compensator. Is this just fluff? Do I get anymore out of the Gold for my hundred dollars?

Your opinions please

Sean

I have my eye on the Vortex Ranger 1000. IMO angle compensation is a must.

http://forums.couesw...showtopic=33338

+1

I just got the Vortex Ranger, and love it. A range finder without Angle Compensation is a thing of the past, true horizontal shooting distance is what your after in the field.

Whatever you buy, go angle compensated.

i would definately go angle compensator because it can be a great dual purpose for archery as well. and i love the compesator for when shooting long range. thinking about selling my rangefinder and grabbing the new vortex. i really like the looks of it so far

I have the nikon that is angle compensated and will go out to 1000 yards but i can't remember the model. It works well but i haven't been able to get more then 800 yards out of mine and i can rarely get that. Its good out to around 600 to 700 yards. Personally i thought the angle compensation was a must so i sold the one i had and bought a angle compensated. But once i took it out to play with it i was disappointed because there really wasn't that much of a difference in yardage that i could see. If ranging out to 1000 yards is really important to you i wouldn't buy the nikon. As far as spending the extra $100 i wouldn't spend it personally.

Leupold tbr 1000 I!!!! I have it and love it! Its a 6 power and I can get it to repeat at 900 yds

Save up for the leica, it is worth it! I love my LRF900 and the new ones are even better.

I have my eye on the Vortex Ranger 1000. IMO angle compensation is a must.

http://forums.couesw...showtopic=33338

+1

I just got the Vortex Ranger, and love it. A range finder without Angle Compensation is a thing of the past, true horizontal shooting distance is what your after in the field.

Whatever you buy, go angle compensated.

Any chance that you could post a review of the Vortex. Not much online yet. I got my hands on it Sunday at Sportsman's....they finally got a few in. The read-out is really bright and the size is compact.

I am interested in whether you can range a deer at 600 yrds, hand held. And if it will range a black object, my Leupold won't.

I have a bushnell 400, the old leica 1200, have used the leupold, and nikon, and now have the swaro el range. As just a pure rangefinder goes other than the swarovski the leica is by far the best. I love the quality of the optics and how easy it is to see the led readout in low light conditions. The Leica 1200 consistantly ranges deer out to 900 yards easily. On cool days or overcast days it seems to do better and will range bushes and trees past 1200 yards. Definatly go with the leica, go used if you cant afford a new one.

I've been very satisfied with the Leica LRFs. Started with an LRF800 and am now using an LRF1200 scan model. Remember that the advertised yardage capability is for a reflective target. The usable range on an animal is often much less.