Sign in to follow this  
bluedevil99

Newbie at Fort Huachuca

Well the title pretty much says it all. I am definitely new to the area and new to the draw thing that is going on here. I missed the deadline for the big game tags for rifle but I am thinking I might be able to snag a second chance one? Am I correct in this or way off?

Basically I would like to find some information on hunting the area. I am up for anything from squirrel to mountain lion to deer and bear. It would be nice to find someone in the area to link up with and essentially show me the ropes.

Also how is the area for upland bird and waterfowl? I'd love to get out there and get my dog retrieving some downed birds. I have him in training right now up in Payson for snake familiarization and overall gun dog training. But like I said before I am open to anything and would be nice to meet some people in the area that are into the same.

There are a few of us down in this area. If your able to hunt on Ft. Huachuca then head to the sportsmans center on post. They will have all the information on deer hunting etc and areas you are able to go. I'm not able to hunt the fort, but I believe that while their draw is also handled through the AZGFD, that it's done somewhat seperately. I might be wrong on that though. I haven't been able to hunt much this year due to furthering my degree but am in the area, living in Sierra Vista. Good luck with bird hunting. Lots of good areas down here. It's been a decade or two since I've bird hunted down here but the memories are fond. Another user Heinz57 just posted a month or two ago and is also new to the area.

The Sportsman's Center has your answers. To hunt on post you must meet the eligibility requirements (AD, Retired, DAC, etc.), have completed a Hunter Education Course, and pay the modest fee for a post permit. The permit alone is all you need for small game and birds (all three species of AZ quail are resident). For deer, the post has unique hunt numbers that you must get in person from the Sportsman's Center, write those on your AZGFD draw form and submit with the regular rifle draw. You will get picked. There are always leftover tags. You will have the chance to fill your tag, and every year some B&C quality deer are taken. Telephone check out each morning, telephone check in each evening. The numbers of hunters per area are controlled so people aren't tripping over each other. Biggest changes over these past 35 years is the drought and subsequent disapearance of ponds, illegals crossing in the high passes, and the encrouchment of new buildings (and Sierra Vista). But there are still thousands of acres open with good access and good game populations.

As mentioned above, the Sportsmans Center would have all the info for hunting on base. There are some very nice Coues running around there. As far as waterfowl, the only duck hunters I have ever run into around here were shooting ducks off of a cattle tank (and yes they had a couple). I don't know if there are many ducks on the ponds that are scattered around the base, but again, the Sportsmans Center would have the info.

Welcome! I shot ducks last year on base, but they dissappear very quickly after the opener.