Sign in to follow this  
RodinAZ

Leftover tag, hunt options?

My buddy ended up drawing a coveted early Bull tag (dang him) and has decided to purchase an OTC deer tag, primarily for an excuse to scout his unit prior to his golden hunt. Therefore my interest to apply for a deer tag was on the back burner due to his success and lack of interest in applying for a rifle deer tag. So I missed the application deadline and now my focus is on picking up a left over deer tag. I have hunted 36A and 36B with good success and chances are good I'll find myself hunting either of those units come fall due to the abundance of tags. My conundrum is I'd rather not hunt there by myself given the border situation and would rather hunt/camp with other(s).

Therefore, I'm throwing this out there if you have room to add a die hard whitetail hunter to your camp, I would be willing to do my fair share +. I'd be open to other units pending tag availability. heck, I would entertain the thought of teaming up with others if they are in the same situation.

Rod

That sucks you missed the draw, there goes your loyalty point!

If you camp near major routes, basically anywhere right off of Ruby road, 286/Sasabe highway, near Arivaca, or Pena Blanca lake, there will be plenty of people abound to keep illegals out, not to mention BP drives past those spots very often.

At least you are starting early in the year to try to buddy up and make friends with hunters that also enjoy those units. Great advice so far, but I also recommend that you really get to meet people on this site and get people comfortable with you and you with them. Offer to buddy up with someone to go on a scouting trip and make sure you pull your own weight on something like that. Heck, you can even start now by seeing if some of those same people enjoy other hobbies you do (ie fishing, hiking, etc) and make sure you like the people! Great that you are starting early to make connections and get info.

Thanks for the replies fellas! Great ideas, are there any Coues Whitetail events coming up this summer? I'm on a 60/60/50 work schedule starting after the upcoming holiday, therefore kinda limited on Saturday events.

Rod,

Depending on my school schedule next semester, I might be going down to 36c for one of the hunts. Not the most experienced whitetail hunter but I can glass and plan on scouting a decent amount over the summer and fall. I would be willing to share camp or whatever suits you if our schedules work out.

When is the second chance deadline for leftover tags? I was at a bowling tournament In Baton Rouge then went fishing in the Keys with my dad and we totally whiffed on the June deadline. At least my dad lives in-state. I'm going to have to try to time my overnight mail. If nothing else, I hope he gets a tag so I can bring my son back to camp and help him out, but I hope to pick up a tag myself as well.