Sign in to follow this  
4Falls

Road closures on Kiabab NF

Every weekend Im out in unit 8 with 4 maps (prescott nf, kaibab nf and each respective travel mgmt map)

Appartently I'm the only one out there playing by the rules. Every road is beat with tire tracks from all types of vehicles and theres vehicle tracks randomly through the forest as well.

I know that the forest cops were out issuing tickets in the beginning but it looks like they've given up.

Sure hope the USFS has decided to rethink implementation/enforcement of their current Travel Management Plans...but I'm fairly sure they have not...starting to believe our only recourse now is wide spread civil disobedience and sympathetic courts...

Just a clarification of my earlier post...I am in no way, shape or form advocating that we should be able to drive off road wherever we choose...I am stating my belief that a majority of the new road closures, as demonstrated in the USFS Travel Management Plan's, are totally unrealistic, unreasonable and absolutely unwarranted...prior to forcing these "necessary" road closures onto us the USFS should have made a greater, more consistent effort to apprehend and prosecute anyone illegally driving off road...Ah, but that would have required the USFS to apply more funding towards enforcement patrols (probably leading to an additional nationwide gas expense of several hundred million dollars) which might have been in contradiction to President Obama’s fiscal year 2012 Budget “New Energy Frontier” strategy which in part lists the stated goals of reducing the Nation’s dependence on fossil fuels/oil imports and effecting a reduction of carbon impacts: http://www.doi.gov/news/pressreleases/Presidents-12-2-Billion-2012-Budget-for-Interior-Focuses-on-Spending-Discipline-Strategic-Investments-and-Vital-Missions.cfm ...Oh, and be sure to note this strategy’s 2nd to last “Additional Revenue Generating Proposal” which sought to increase the cost of Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamps from $15 to $25 per stamp.