Sign in to follow this  
reganranch

100 Books every man should read

You all should check out the books by C.J. Box...they are great! They are mystery mixed with hunting, he is my cousin from Wyoming. I don't read that much but I couldn't put these down.

I have read all of C.J. Box series and really enjoyed them! I've actually talked my husband into reading them, he reads mostly magazines because he falls asleep after a page or two :P

You all should check out the books by C.J. Box...they are great! They are mystery mixed with hunting, he is my cousin from Wyoming. I don't read that much but I couldn't put these down.

I have read all of C.J. Box series and really enjoyed them! I've actually talked my husband into reading them, he reads mostly magazines because he falls asleep after a page or two :P

That's me exactly! :D

TJ

Atlas Shrugged should be number 1. Everyone should read this one.

I think the "Fountain Head" may be a tad-bit better than "Atlas Shrugged" and definately should be on the list. I did love them both though.

• Like 1

Looks like a good compilation to me. I would add, Stephen Covey's The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. I'm not much of a reader, but many of the books on there that I haven't read, I'd like to.

I am in the same boat with others in that we read a lot of these in school so I have read in part or whole around a third of them. Some of these are great and my favorite book is on the list, some strike me as being read just to say you read them while at a cocktail party.

I would add "The Art of Worldly Wisdom" to the list, a great gift for someone in or graduating from college. Far better and more useful than all the Sun Tzu books being peddled the last couple of decades.

I just finished Lone Survivor, best book ive read in years.

Gonna read that next. The last book I read was "American Sniper", and while it will never be considered "classic American Literature", it was a very enjoyable and informative read. Those who haven't read it yet, do your self a favor - it's a "page-turner" for sure.

Wow, I'm on a mission here. I just finished reading another one of our cwt member's book written by our very own Tony Mandile aka Outdoor Writer. Actually Tony co-wrote "How To Hunt Coues Deer" with Duwane Adams. It's a great book and full of information.

I'm now up to three books on my list of books read. :)

TJ

I already listed three books that I think you should check out above, but here is another one I just finished reading on the kindle on my phone. If you like adventure and survival stories, this one is for you! It's by far one of the most amazing stories of survival ever! You won't believe what these guys went through. It really puts the troubles in your own life in perspective....

The Endurance:Shackleton's Legendary Expedition

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/0375404031

That was a crazy awesome story of survival...That is one of my top five reads of all time.

I already listed three books that I think you should check out above, but here is another one I just finished reading on the kindle on my phone. If you like adventure and survival stories, this one is for you! It's by far one of the most amazing stories of survival ever! You won't believe what these guys went through. It really puts the troubles in your own life in perspective....

The Endurance:Shackleton's Legendary Expedition

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/0375404031

That was a crazy awesome story of survival...That is one of my top five reads of all time.

+1!!!

I can't just can't believe what they went through and survived!! I recommend this book to anyone!

C J Box. notice i used capital letters. his novels of the last 5 years are spot on for western ideals. if you hunt, punch cows, run a trapline or just own property bordering blm or the fs take a few months and read a little C J Box.

hate hijacking a greatest of literature thread but i remembered the reference by mthorsrud-and nobody reads these things anyway.

lee

+100 on Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations

Big fan of Khaled Hosseini's books, they are very different than the ones being mentioned though

I'm not a prolific reader at all, so was very surprised to find I had read over half the books on the list, and most of the books chimed in by our members. Although many of the contemporary classics I was forced to digest at the point of a public school principal's paddle.

I ask you Lennie, George, Curley, what list of great 'man book's doesn't include Steinbeck's, 'Of Mice and Men'?

It even has MEN in the title!

And if you thought you had problems packing for your next hunt, read about Napoleon's logistical nightmares invading Russia in William Seymour's, ' Decisive Factors In Twenty Great Battles of the World'

Feeding Napoleon's war machine ponies alone meant hauling and feeding 3,000,000 pounds of fodder per day along the route. Hey, now that's a lot of hay! Now try to feed 3/4 of a million men.....?

One of the best books I have ever read was 'Marine Sniper, 93 Confirmed Kills' by Charles Henderson. It's the story of the legendary SSgt Carlos Hathcock's exploits in Viet Nam. Every person I've ever loaned the book to (including my dear ol' mum), has read it non-stop, unable to put it down.

• Like 1

This thread has sure been resurrected. Don't have much time to do any personal reading anymore, it's all engineering textbooks along with Oil & Gas peer-reviewed papers.