Sign in to follow this  
ACTS_238

Archery cow VRS Archery Bull

Finally got a tag from game and fish after all that credit card hoopla, man what a wild ride that was.

Anyway, we ended up with second choice archery cow, which is fine with me. I am estatic about being in the woods chasing Elk!!

Just wondering if anyone could offer any tips as to the best approch to getting a shot at a cow during this time of year, they seem to be in groups and would be difficult to stalk close enough for a shot. Maybe sit water/salt lick?

What say you?

I would hunt em the same I do bulls. Chase the bugles and sneak in. Water or salt thats getting hit hard would also work if you like to sit. Trophy rock works really well for elk in my spots. My boy killed his cow on the jr hunt from a blind on a dirt tank. If you sit try sprayin the hole area with cow in heat urine to let em know where the partys at.

I like to chase bugles. Two for one in that experience (hunt cows and practice hunting bulls). Listen for bugles and chase them down. Practice getting the wind in your face and getting in front of them. You can practice your cow calls which brings in the cows and hopefully a Giant bull so you can get twice the "buck fever" as you get ready for the shot. Waterholes suck unless your willing to throw down with some hot headed hunter who owns the tank because he has been hunting the area for years and he has been scouting the tank for months (at least that has been my experience). Mineral licks are great if you start them. Right now your best bet is to find a game trail and place it close to the trail! I have had cows bite the small blocks of salt and almost eat the entire thing in 10 minutes! Good luck! Im jealous!

Since the cows tend to come in first always, and stay on the outskirts (satellite bulls aside) I'd follow the advice above and pay attention while walking around.

Oh yeah! Congrats on the getting a tag.....even if its the hard way!

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32275

This link shows the history of the last draw cycle, game and fish and thier contractor somehow between them the expiration date on our card was changed by 1 month, therefore the back rejected it. However when we called g and f, they had the correct info on file. They made it right and we have our tags, but man it was rough on the emotions going for the ride.

I use the same tactics trophyhunter uses. It’s great practice for getting in on the bulls too. I love to hunt elk, be it a bull or cows and I love elk meat. I usually put everything into my hunts and I prefer on the ground spot and stalk or bugle and chase. I do sit Mineral block sites I made in the mornings out of tree stands but if they’re not coming in after a day or two I’m on the ground a runnin. Get down wind and in front of them. It’s sometimes hard to do both but with enough patients you can pull it off. Good luck and have fun.

GBA